This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Random Beef! *Insert Rant Here*

Comments

• RajioRajio Centurion
    they're still testing. the new style isnt better though - readability is actually a little worse. ugh.
  • High School Cool = Be like everyone!
    Post-Secondary Cool = Be like no one!
    Everything after school cool = Don't be like you were in high school or post-secondary.

:)
    Once I'm done post secondary I need to be like everyone and no one all at once!?
    :O lol

Yeah I agree with hawks very few people know rush or tool, etc
    Metallica more likely because "Guitar Hero" Metallica but who cares they suck now
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    If I may use some classic stereotypes, the only people I knew in school that listened to good music were the stoners and the geeks.

Everyone else listened to whatever was popular at the time... which is sometimes ok, but is mostly garbage.
  • If I may use some classic stereotypes, the only people I knew in school that listened to good music were the stoners and the geeks.

Everyone else listened to whatever was popular at the time... which is sometimes ok, but is mostly garbage.
    I agree with this statement.
  • If I may use some classic stereotypes, the only people I knew in school that listened to good music were the stoners and the geeks.

I agree with this statement.
    Sounds 'bout right. Which is a shame since stoners really wanted me to join their... 'habit'
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    Don't worry, Smore... as they get older and wiser, they'll learn to stop pushing it and also how to stop talking about it.

I'm a stoner from way back and the last thing I want to do is waste it by giving some to a guy who doesn't want it or talk about how great it is... or whatever.

Although, sometimes it's nice to go on a little memory lane with a friend about all the silly ways we used to smoke it. So much effort back in the day...

(Hazy) Memories!
  • Exactly Doos if someone doesn't want a toke...then more for me :D
  • People are complaining that it has snowed in Calgary. I for one love it. Why? Because I get to dress up all comfy and whatnot.
  • edited November 2010
    Its supposed to start snowing here in Vancouver this weekend :( :) and I don't have any comfy and whatnot clothing. I personally love the snow, but my job makes me hate it :( My normal work hours are 5pm-1am, but when it snows I have to do a split-shift and shovel starting anytime after 6am usually(depending on when it falls of course) and go around to several different buildings we have a contract with and shovel shovel shovel. Now most years its not so bad since its Vancouver, and we barely get any snow, but in '08 it piled up to 64cm(that's what I measured on my back deck) and this year is supposed to be one of the snowiest on record :( :) A typical Vancouver snow fall goes like this: Rain-Rain-Rain-1cm or so of Snow - Rain-Rain-Rain-1cm or so of Snow etc etc. '08 though was crazy. It snowed, then it snowed some more, then it snowed some more, and then it kept on snowing more and more and more and it just wouldn't stop...Then after the snow finally did stop falling after a couple weeks or so, it didn't rain for a couple weeks or so(don't remember exactly), so the snow just sat there. THAT NEVER HAPPENS!

I just looked Vancouver up on Wiki and found some amusing facts:

Apparently people in other parts of Canada think it never snows in Vancouver. I did not know that. According to Wiki, there has never been a winter where traceable snow has not been recorded at YVR.
    Vancouver is ranked 3rd out of top 100 Canadian cities for lowest snowfall.
    Interestingly, its ranked 59th for largest snowfall days, which is above both Calgary and Toronto!
    "even small amounts of snow in the Vancouver area can cause school closures, as well as produce massive traffic problems. Snowfall levels considered routine or mild in other parts of Canada can be relatively catastrophic in Vancouver" << LOL so true...You want to laugh your head off? Come to Vancouver when it snows and just watch people attempting to drive. Its the funniest shit you'll ever see. Unfortunately, I am about to become one of those as this will essentially be my first winter with a drivers license.(I was still on my learners permit last winter, and drove in the snow once I think for a very short distance.) Thankfully though my dad has a lot of driving experience in snow and is pretty good so I won't be going out there blind.(when he was growing up in England, he lived near an abandoned airfield and so every winter his friends and him would go out to it in the snow/ice and have fun)

"the low frequency of snowfall makes it hard to justify the public works infrastructure necessary for more effective snow removal, as the city is usually in a thaw situation long before plowing of streets are completed. The City budgets $400,000 per year for the maintenance of snow removal equipment, for the purchasing of deicing salt, and for the training of staff, but the costs of actual snow removal are funded separately from contingency reserve funds, and vary widely from season to season. For example, $1.1 million was spent in 1998, compared to $0 in 2001.[7] Blizzards are rare but can incapacitate much of the Lower Mainland. One in 1996 resulted in over 60 cm (23.6 in) of snow in Vancouver and was responsible for millions of dollars in damage."
    According to Environment Canada, Vancouver typically has a 11% chance of a White Christmas. The most recent White Christmas occurred in 2008 after weeks of record breaking cold temperatures and four consecutive snow storms left over 60 cm of snow on the ground across Metro Vancouver. New snow also accumulated on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day giving it the title for Canada's whitest Christmas in 2008 with 41 cm on ground (48 cm at one point on Christmas Eve).
  • Things I like from snowfall: Snowboarding, Driving in the Snow.
    Things I hate about snowfall: it's cold, wet, and people cannot fucking drive.

@TTRDrPayne When the first big snowfall hits, go to an empty shopping mall parking lot (should be as big as possible and hopefully unplowed yet) as early in the morning as you can muster, and take the car out there. (Ideally you're looking at a Saturday or Sunday morning before 7am; or you could do a super late night 3 Practice spins, throttle control, braking, emergency avoidance, spinning tires, ABS, everything. If you have the time, do it for an hour or two, until you are fairly confortable with it. I do it every year, and TBH, that's some of the most fun I'm allowed to have.

If a cop stops you and asks wtf you're doing, explain that you're teaching yourself how your car behaves in the snow, and that it's for everyone's safety. Mentioning that it's early in the morning and there's no one around, and that it's the perfect opportunity to do it here, where there's no danger rather than experiencing it for the first time on the road in traffic, will help everyone's safety around you. If they're not a power-tripping DICK, they should understand completely.
  • @TTRDrPayne Here in Prince George, BC we get A LOT of snow. 2 years back it was almost 5 feet. And I get to do the shovelling.
  • We got lots of snow here in Calgary, snowed straight for 3 days. Cold snap too. highs around -20C, don't forget the constant wind. Buses running 15 min to over an hour later then usual. FRAKKING COLD!!!!
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    We had a teeny tiny amount of snow the other day. Didn't stick around. Still in the double digits 'round these parts during the day.
  • My dad and I went out today to an empty parking lot to do some hand-brake turns, emergency stops and whatnot. It was around 4pm when we went so not exactly the best conditions... Anyways it was still fun. There was too much grip though so never got any good slides going. Also, turned out to be a gravel parking lot, not pavement, so now the passenger side/mirror, and driver side wheel well, of my car are completely covered in gravel.. The lot was a bit small, and so I never left 1st gear, just revved it up a bit.
    1st attempt I was concentrated on where I was going and forgot to press the clutch in and stalled it, lol.

My dad has been fascinated with cars 0-100kph time recently, and so he got me to test my car on the highway coming back in to Vancouver(we just went to UBC, if anybody actually knows the area lol). He took my car out the other day when I was asleep and tried it himself, but wanted somebody there to time it. I did it twice, and got around 11 seconds both times. According to a website I was looking at the other day, my car should be able to do it in 9.x seconds.
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    I can't wait for the snow so I can go boink around in the mall parking lots. I haven't had my car a-spinning yet, and I'd like to do so!

My car does 0-60 (miles... 96kphish) in around 8.8-9.0 seconds.

Not much of a speed demon... does what I need though.
  • Bah! MSN! Why don't you want to work?
    I spend hours updateing windows tinkering and whatnot and MSN makes me wanna rage!
  • DjDATZDjDATZ n00b
    edited November 2010
    I drive a Smart (gasp!) and a Kia Rondo...

The Smart is kinda fun in the snow cuz it's RWD, but the only problem is ESC is ALWAYS on and there's no way to turn it off, so you can throw the car into a slide, but the ESC always comes on, steals the power and ruins the fun. Haven't had the Rondo out for a solid snow run though. It's got a V6, so it's not a slug either. :D

The Kia is a blast to do reverse spins in :D
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    My little Hyundai has the ESC as well, but it can be turned off. It was funny, the first day I had it I was cruising through this gravel parking lot and thought, 'What the hell...' gunned it and cranked the wheel.

Yeah, not so much. It sprayed a bit of gravel, then drove in a leisurely fashion in the direction I'd pointed. Damn you! I didn't turn it off to give 'er another attempt... but I will soon!
  • My little Hyundai has the ESC as well, but it can be turned off. It was funny, the first day I had it I was cruising through this gravel parking lot and thought, 'What the hell...' gunned it and cranked the wheel.

Yeah, not so much. It sprayed a bit of gravel, then drove in a leisurely fashion in the direction I'd pointed. Damn you! I didn't turn it off to give 'er another attempt... but I will soon!
    Yep, I can disable ESC in the Kia, it's how I prefer to drive in the winter actually.
  • My car is a 2001 Ford Focus ZX3, Bought it in, I think, March. My first car :) It was a pretty good deal too. The car only had about 62,000KM on it! They originally were asking around $6,300, I got it for $4,500 :). Its been a lot of fun driving standard.
  • Telus tech said the problem was fixed but it isn't. I lost connection today for about 20 min, but my iphone didn't. I'll email them again.
    Downloaded AoE3 for PC and went to install and got an error, xbox support as it was their phone number games for windows gives said re-download but I couldn't and they couldn't help.

So after some thinking on what I had to do back when I used a windows pc before my mac and I remembered that the uninstall feature does not in fact uninstall. It only removes a few references in the registry. I manually uninstalled Games for Windows app and all references to it and AoE3. Then I re-installed GFWL app and now I can re-download AoE3.

Why the frakk can't windows do that. Their way just leaves clutter that takes up space. Oh in case you want to re-install the software. It is always better to do a clean re-install so why not fully uninstall. I hate having to do everything when an app that should do the job doesn't.
  • My car is a 2001 Ford Focus ZX3, Bought it in, I think, March. My first car :) It was a pretty good deal too. The car only had about 62,000KM on it! They originally were asking around $6,300, I got it for $4,500 :). Its been a lot of fun driving standard.
    That is one thing I definitely need to learn. I know the theory behind it, and I've done it on a bike (I have my M2 alongside my G), so I don't see how much different it could be in a car. lol
  • Since my ISP can't fix or is un willing to fix my internet problem I can no longer use it for XBL as at best I only get limited access. I am giving them 1 last chance and then I'll switch to Shaw internet. Never had a problem with them.

I tried to play some dlc for ME2 but since I could not sign into XBL it would not let me play any dlc. Odd yes, I'd say so. I had to sign out of xbox live even my xbox to play but with no dlc. So said fuck it and I'll play the 2 games I have on my laptop, Homeworld 2 and Age of Empires III, and forget my xbox for the time being. As even when I see it I get pissed off at Telus. They will not return my emails or calls.
  • Sometimes, I honestly wonder if companies are actually interested in retaining their customers, because shit like this will turn you off a company on the double.
  • As if there wasn't already enough reasons to be turned off by Activision, lol.
  • My isp installed a new gateway today, problem still there. Will try a wired connection tomorrow but I must PAY to get a 50ft cable. I frakking wish this would go away, could be my xbox too.
  • Got new Gateway and all is good now. Or at least it appears to be all good now.
  • It's made me reconsider ever buying a peripheral from them.
    As much as I love to hate on Activision, from what I've seen, and honestly, the Rock Band peripherals are MUCH higher quality!