This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Random Beef! *Insert Rant Here*

Comments

• lol, that video was awesome. He was soo pumped afterward!
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    Last night at work I was moving my train around when I kind of looked over and noticed some dude in a car where there normally isn't a dude in a car.

He was hung up on the rails right near the main line. (Where the fast trains are, 60-90MPH trains. YOU DIE, trains.)

I says to my train 'You better stop, there's a car on the rails.'

I wander over to the guy and get a look inside the car and the dude is fucking blitzed. Annihilated. Drunk as a fucking skunk.

He's trying to reverse/forward himself off of the rails but the combination of snow and hung-upedness he's got going on is preventing him from doing so. Plus the front passenger side of his car is kind of missing.

I look back and follow his tracks in the snow and see his path of destruction where he'd bounced off a telephone pole, hit a switch stand (google for an image of one of them) and smashed the hell out of it, (which is what tore the front end of his car off) then bounced and slid his way quite a distance (I'd say 300 ft) to the position he was in now.

He seemed fine for injuries and such, so I got on the radio and informed my yardmaster that we'd need the police, a tow truck and to inform the RTC (Rail traffic controller) that trains going through London would need to proceed at a restricted speed until he was removed from the vehicle. He was very close to the main line, and wouldn't stop trying to back-forward, so at any moment he might lurch on to those tracks and potentially kill/injure himself and others.

I got my engineman to come down as well because he's a very big guy, and we were going to need to get the keys from this dude and it could possibly get a little ugly.

I distracted him out of his car by telling him to come out and take a look at the front of it. As soon as he stepped out he went face first into the snow. Hammered. My engineer took that moment and slid behind the wheel, put the car in park and removed the keys.

We helped the guy up and sat him back in his car where he continued to try and move it (Without it being on)

A couple of minutes later the cops arrived and they took him away..

Two side notes to this story:

1) Neither myself, nor my brakeman nor my engineer actually saw the incident happen. Or heard it for that matter. One second he wasn't there, the next he was. He must've been moving at lightspeed, because we were not very far away. Mind you, we were right beside our locomotives, which are loud, so that is partly why. But we were all pretty blown away that it had happened right beside us and we hadn't heard/seen a thing.

2) We had about a half hour window of opportunity to escape from London yard without being blocked by a lot of different trains and crews, that drunk dude made us miss it, so I ended up making $100+ more than I normally would've because of over time.

Thank you drunk dude... You were very drunk.
  • I found out something very interesting yesterday. If you have Telus for a ISP you should manually enter your IP and DNS settings as Telus likes to tweak as they call it thus causing a unstable internet connection.

After months of back and forth with Telus and Xbox Support I finally solved my connection problems. Of course Telus wouldn't admit to being the cause of my problem though.
  • Last night at work I was moving my train around when I kind of looked over and noticed some dude in a car where there normally isn't a dude in a car.

He was hung up on the rails right near the main line. (Where the fast trains are, 60-90MPH trains. YOU DIE, trains.)

I says to my train 'You better stop, there's a car on the rails.'

I wander over to the guy and get a look inside the car and the dude is fucking blitzed. Annihilated. Drunk as a fucking skunk.

He's trying to reverse/forward himself off of the rails but the combination of snow and hung-upedness he's got going on is preventing him from doing so. Plus the front passenger side of his car is kind of missing.

I look back and follow his tracks in the snow and see his path of destruction where he'd bounced off a telephone pole, hit a switch stand (google for an image of one of them) and smashed the hell out of it, (which is what tore the front end of his car off) then bounced and slid his way quite a distance (I'd say 300 ft) to the position he was in now.

He seemed fine for injuries and such, so I got on the radio and informed my yardmaster that we'd need the police, a tow truck and to inform the RTC (Rail traffic controller) that trains going through London would need to proceed at a restricted speed until he was removed from the vehicle. He was very close to the main line, and wouldn't stop trying to back-forward, so at any moment he might lurch on to those tracks and potentially kill/injure himself and others.

I got my engineman to come down as well because he's a very big guy, and we were going to need to get the keys from this dude and it could possibly get a little ugly.

I distracted him out of his car by telling him to come out and take a look at the front of it. As soon as he stepped out he went face first into the snow. Hammered. My engineer took that moment and slid behind the wheel, put the car in park and removed the keys.

We helped the guy up and sat him back in his car where he continued to try and move it (Without it being on)

A couple of minutes later the cops arrived and they took him away..

Two side notes to this story:

1) Neither myself, nor my brakeman nor my engineer actually saw the incident happen. Or heard it for that matter. One second he wasn't there, the next he was. He must've been moving at lightspeed, because we were not very far away. Mind you, we were right beside our locomotives, which are loud, so that is partly why. But we were all pretty blown away that it had happened right beside us and we hadn't heard/seen a thing.

2) We had about a half hour window of opportunity to escape from London yard without being blocked by a lot of different trains and crews, that drunk dude made us miss it, so I ended up making $100+ more than I normally would've because of over time.

Thank you drunk dude... You were very drunk.
    Great story as always Doos, though I'm not sure if I'd call it an actual random beef, since it worked out in your favour.
  • So about an hour ago I'm sitting here at home surfing the web when my mobile rings. As many of you know, I'm on 24/7 call for alarm events, and it was ADT. One of our offices was having an alarm trip at the rear door, and the motion sensor inside was picking up movement. In my 5.5 years with the company, we have never had a real alarm event.

Now, I'm sick of being on call, so my senior coordinator recently volunteered to do a rotation schedule with me, and January is her month. We also have signs posted under every alarm panel in our 7 offices in Toronto clearly stating to call me or her, depending who's on call, with our numbers. Traditionally people will call, but sometimes they don't because they only needed a minute or two longer to dig out their code, and they don't want to bother us or are afraid of getting in trouble for messing up. Personally, I wouldn't be mad at them since it's important for me to know, but people think how they'll think.

ADT Fuck Up #1 = Not updating their contact list to call my coordinator first as I requested in writing a week ago, per the instruction of a data centre rep.

I tell ADT guy it's likely false and not to dispatch the police. I then text my coordinator to see if anyone's called her. No one has, so I wait 5 minutes and call ADT back. If it's someone who just needs that extra minute, usually this gives them the time to do so. New ADT guy picks up and I ask him these important questions: Is the alarm still going off? Yes it is. Has a door been breached? Yes it was, but it's now closed. Are you getting anymore sensor trips? No we're not.

So, the door was breached and no one called my coordinator, time to ask ADT to do their thing; I ask them to dispatch the police. As the rep is preparing to do so, a question occurs to me and I ask: How are the cops going to access the building, since it's Friday night and everything's locked up? The ADT guy is actually completely silent for about 15 seconds and then asks me if I can meet them on site. I tell him honestly no, I'm an hour and a half away, are you telling me the police can not access the building? He confirms they can not access the building, so I ask him, honestly, what can the cops do? Apparently they can do a perimeter check. This will take them all of 5 minutes to walk from one end of the building to the other on street level and test the doors to make sure they're locked. In other words, a waste of time and the $100.00 dispatch fee.

ADT Fuck Up #2 = Not informing their customers that police dispatches are useless if your building has more than one floor, since they want you to dispatch the cops allowing them to profit $100.00.

I tell the ADT guy to forget it and disregard. I then call the night time supervisor of our building down the street where we have people 24-7. I tell him what's going on and ask him to check it out. I was 99.9% confident this was a false alarm as ADT was no longer getting anymore motion trips or open doors, and he agrees. I also let him know there's a golf club by my desk, just in case.

10 minutes later he emails me back. The alarm was not only armed and working fine, but the back door was closed and the deadbolt was locked.

ADT Fuck Up #3 = With the locked deadbolt, that means it's very likely the door was never breached in the first place, and of course, it's all a false alarm.

I really think I should look into another alarm company.
  • lol...That sucks so much. Being the supervisor for a Janitorial company, I deal with security companies/false alarms a lot.

From all the different companies I've dealt with here in Vancouver, I have 2 favourites. Paladin, and ADT. In all of our accounts that use ADT, they all have the best technology, making using the actual alarm system easier, but my only knock on them is their customer service line. Everything is great, until you actually have to call them. They are the only company I've dealt with that have an automated system you have to go through before getting a human to speak to, and when you finally get through the automated system, there's often a long wait(5-10 minutes or more) before somebody answers. So as long as everything goes to plan, ADT is great, but when stuff happens, and you need to call them, they are a pain. My favourite thing about them though is because of the better technology they use, they can see everything you're entering in the alarm pad, and so when an alarm goes off, and is just a false alarm, you usually don't actually have to call them to cancel the runner as they can see you've already turned the alarm off, whereas the other companies can't see anything. All they see is the alarm ringing. So they have their advantages and disadvantages.

My favourite company though is Paladin. No idea if you guys have them over there or not.(Just googled them actually, and they are in several cities across Canada, including Toronto. Here is the website: http://www.paladinsecurity.com/ ) They have, BY FAR, the BEST customer service ever. I have never had an issue dealing with them, in the 6-ish years I've been working. I wish all companies, everywhere, had as good service as Paladin do.
    This is taken from the website: "Through a combination of outstanding people, ongoing training, and an absolute passion for customer service, Paladin Security is able to provide real life solutions for real life security problems."
    That is absolutely true.
  • lol...That sucks so much. Being the supervisor for a Janitorial company, I deal with security companies/false alarms a lot.

From all the different companies I've dealt with here in Vancouver, I have 2 favourites. Paladin, and ADT. In all of our accounts that use ADT, they all have the best technology, making using the actual alarm system easier, but my only knock on them is their customer service line. Everything is great, until you actually have to call them. They are the only company I've dealt with that have an automated system you have to go through before getting a human to speak to, and when you finally get through the automated system, there's often a long wait(5-10 minutes or more) before somebody answers. So as long as everything goes to plan, ADT is great, but when stuff happens, and you need to call them, they are a pain. My favourite thing about them though is because of the better technology they use, they can see everything you're entering in the alarm pad, and so when an alarm goes off, and is just a false alarm, you usually don't actually have to call them to cancel the runner as they can see you've already turned the alarm off, whereas the other companies can't see anything. All they see is the alarm ringing. So they have their advantages and disadvantages.

My favourite company though is Paladin. No idea if you guys have them over there or not.(Just googled them actually, and they are in several cities across Canada, including Toronto. Here is the website: http://www.paladinsecurity.com/ ) They have, BY FAR, the BEST customer service ever. I have never had an issue dealing with them, in the 6-ish years I've been working. I wish all companies, everywhere, had as good service as Paladin do.
    This is taken from the website: "Through a combination of outstanding people, ongoing training, and an absolute passion for customer service, Paladin Security is able to provide real life solutions for real life security problems."
    That is absolutely true.
    Thanks for the tip dude. I'll take a look at Paladin and perhaps propose a supplier change to my director.
  • Gah, Kinect! Why do you think I have space behind me!?
    /sob
    Oh well I'm still having alot of fun :D
  • RajioRajio Centurion
    lulz I love that the "$60 for xbox live" thread finally got locked after 3 pages of briotrolling, and someone ELSE gets reprimanded for calling him an idiot. poor guy.
  • I find it quite funny that my security software has blocked Windows Live Messenger from running.
  • lulz I love that the "$60 for xbox live" thread finally got locked after 3 pages of briotrolling, and someone ELSE gets reprimanded for calling him an idiot. poor guy.
    Yeah, just saw that. I actually PMed that MVP to politely inform her of the issues we've been having with BRIOCH for about a year-ish now. I've invited her to regularly visit the Canadian General forum to note his interactions with other forum members, and requested assistance.

Do I expect any results? No. It seems the Xbox forum Mods/MVPs protect trolls these days, but I figured it couldn't hurt to once again try and address the issue formally. The worst that can happen is she'll ban me for being polite and considerate.

The sad part is, being banned for those reasons isn't something I'd put past an Xbox Forum mod/MVP these days.
  • I remember getting banned for saying the Keadin was cooler than Stricker.
    Well I did call Stricker lame but still I lol'd.
  • RajioRajio Centurion
    The worst that can happen is she'll ban me for being polite and considerate.

The sad part is, being banned for those reasons isn't something I'd put past an Xbox Forum mod/MVP these days.
    people have been b& for that before. :D
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    I had to make sure to PM that HeMan guy, as he kind of missed the point I was trying to make in that thread.

Here it is for you guys who don't care:

I pay for XGame Party Chat on Live. Is it worth the money? Not really. But, it's something I'm used to. So I pay. Much like the car wash I referenced. Not everything is worth the money you pay... but convenience and expendable cash make the choice easy... for me.

The other point he touched on was the timed exclusives... I don't like them and I think they're dumb. I just think that it's our 'Live' money that's going towards 'em.

Briochewarios is still an idiot.
  • I had to make sure to PM that HeMan guy, as he kind of missed the point I was trying to make in that thread.

Here it is for you guys who don't care:

I pay for XGame Party Chat on Live. Is it worth the money? Not really. But, it's something I'm used to. So I pay. Much like the car wash I referenced. Not everything is worth the money you pay... but convenience and expendable cash make the choice easy... for me.

The other point he touched on was the timed exclusives... I don't like them and I think they're dumb. I just think that it's our 'Live' money that's going towards 'em.

Briochewarios is still an idiot.
    Hello Doos,

I agree on the timed exclusives, and to go in a bit of a tangent, in Spring, Summer, and Fall, washing your own car not only saves you money but you'll also do a far better job than most crappy touchless washes. A bucket of water, a sponge, and under 30 minutes is all you need to get your car sparkling.
  • The worst that can happen is she'll ban me for being polite and considerate.

people have been b& for that before. :D
    Yes, I know :(.

She replied actually, and aside from thanking me for a nice PM (instead of an angry one I guess), mentioned how that thread had gotten out of hand in general, that mods/MVPs are constantly monitoring all forums, and that BRIOCH has been banned before and action will be taken against him as required.

I just replied back focusing on the moderation of all forums bit, explaining how we've had issues with one moderator (no names) who's constantly but carefully abused his authority to the detriment of the community, and the best action we were able to accomplish was the stripping of his MVP status (well, Jake was responsible for that, but it still sounded good).

I then went on to mention that it's one thing for a random mod to pop into a forum and enforce the ToU, and another for a mod to become familiar with a forum and then enforce the ToU, requesting once again more consistent monitoring of our forums.

We'll see what she says.
  • lulz I love that the "$60 for xbox live" thread finally got locked after 3 pages of briotrolling, and someone ELSE gets reprimanded for calling him an idiot. poor guy.
    I was the one who reported it, figuring he'd get banned.
    Nope, 'cause banning him would be proper moderation :(.
  • RajioRajio Centurion
    Yeah i reported the whole thread citing muliple instances of harassment, i jus find i ironic that that guy got nailed instead of someone who was doing it as much/more.
  • DoosDoos Centurion

Hello Doos,

I agree on the timed exclusives, and to go in a bit of a tangent, in Spring, Summer, and Fall, washing your own car not only saves you money but you'll also do a far better job than most crappy touchless washes. A bucket of water, a sponge, and under 30 minutes is all you need to get your car sparkling.
    If I had access to those things... I would use 'em... :(

I still wash the car by hand, but at one of those pay and spray places. I like washing my car. Give 'er some love and a good rub down. Can't wait til winter is over. She's so cold... so very cold.

• Hello Doos,

If I had access to those things... I would use 'em... :(

I still wash the car by hand, but at one of those pay and spray places. I like washing my car. Give 'er some love and a good rub down. Can't wait til winter is over. She's so cold... so very cold.
    And grimy salt covered :(.

You $10.00 at Canadian Tire will get you the bucket and a good sponge. Might want to wait for Spring though.
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    Dedicated to Raj, who's in the market, and reminded me that I hate it:

How Many Jobs Have YOU Had?!

1 Can Sorter Guy
    2 Paper Boy
    3 Golf Cart Guy
    4 Sub Shop Sammitch Maker
    5 Roofer. 3 different companies over a span of years.
    6 Demolition
    7 Tire sorter guy
    8 T shirt making place
    9 Metal Stamping
    10 Lumber mill
    11 Hotel Porter
    12 Hotel Housekeeper
    13 Fruit picker
    14 Warehouse guy
    15 Walmart Warehouse guy
    16 Heavy equipment operator
    17 Flyer delivery...
    18 Conductor

My most hated out of those was the 'T Shirt' place and the 'Metal Stamping'.

I stood at the end of a conveyor dryer and folded shirts into a box, one by one, 12 hours a day. It was so mind numbingly boring that I felt, literally, quite suicidal after I'd get finished work. It did pay well though. $13 under the table. About $1500 cash every two weeks.

'Metal Stamping' was a fabrication place. I hated it, I used to not show up all the time and wouldn't call or anything.

Once, I ditched work and played Final Fantasy on the SNES all day. When I finally went back to work I told them that 'A friend of mine offered me $500 to deliver some shrooms to Cranbrook!' (1000 km away)

That was my excuse... and I didn't care, 'cause I hated the place and was just waiting to be fired.. but was too lazy to quit.

I hate looking for work.
  • I hate looking for work too
    its hard to find part time work for students around here

all the retail places want college kids :(
  • I'll play along.

My jobs (at least the ones I got paid for):

1) newspaper delivery boy
    2) dishwasher
    3) pizza delivery
    4) club cleaner
    5) grunt (construction)
    6) ski lift operator
    7) automotive detailer
    8) farmhand
    9) escort driver (yes, those kind of escorts)
    10) number cruncher (daytime)
    11) number cruncher (nighttime)
    12) night auditor

I do believe that is all of them. The most hated of the lot is a tie between dishwasher and grunt. I hated both and would lay in bed thinking of ways to avoid going to work each day.
  • edited January 2011
    I've only had 2 jobs, although inside of 1 of the jobs I've had a few positions.

1) Babysitter ('03-07)
    2) Janitor ('04 - present) - assistant floor man -> random job dooer/assistant floor man -> random job dooer/assistant floor man/assistant supervisor -> Supervisor/Floor man(2 jobs that used to be 5hrs/8hrs I now do myself in one 8 hour shift)

I've never had to look for work. The janitorial position is in my dads company so I was just, essentially, forced into it lol
  • RajioRajio Centurion
    edited January 2011
    My jobs (in no particular order):

moving boxes in a warehouse
    painting/illustrating (art)
    community management
    film production
    web/graphic design
    set design (tv/movies)
    teaching
    architecture design & 3D modeling

now attempting to get into marketing/community management/social media sort of stuff. or see what else i can do - just left the architecture industry. they're all dinosaurs.

if any of you are on linkedin i could use some recommendations ;)
  • 9) escort driver (yes, those kind of escorts)
    Escort driver? I can't say I'd mind doing that too much, considering you'd probably be driving late nights with open roads (hence, little to no traffic). Well, other than the potential distractions in the back seat.
  • I'll play along too...

Newspaper Delivery (paid SHIT)
    Babysitting
    Stocking at PetSmart
    Cashier at PetSmart
    Lab Coordinator
    Technical Specialist
    Technical Support Specialist.

That's pretty much it, looking to get into more of a Systems or Business Analyst position now...
  • Here's my list (not in order but close):

- Winners Store Associate
    - Farm Market Worker and Tractor Driver
    - Warehouse Worker (Temp Job)
    - Bell Canada Office Assistant/Summer Student
    - Production Assistant
    - Transcriber
    - Reception
    - Production Secretary
    - Data Entry Clerk
    - Assistant Editor
    - Design Assistant
    - Post Production Coordinator
    - Production Coordinator
    - Office Manager
  • My list! Im only 17, so what can you expect?

- Paint Store Employee (all arounder, stock, cash, everything interchangeably)
    - Boston Pizza (Started Host, Picked up Expo + Host, now Expo + Host + Kitchen)
  • Mine is rather pathetic so I shan't share.
    Well my last job was not so I worked with the Canadian Mental Health Association as a canvasser... Collecting Donations.