This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Middle East violence over movie.

Law212Law212 Centurion
edited July 2014 in News & Politics
I cant beleive stuff like this happens. An anti Islam movie was made by a few people, and Islamics go nuts and kill americans.....Doesnt really help their cause at all

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/u-embassies-attacked-yemen-egypt-libya-envoy-killed-113727046.html

Apparently the movie is some terrible hand held cam movie where the actors didnt even know what the movie was about and all their lines were dubbed in.

Though you mock the prohphet mohammed and you die......according to Islam. How do people so unevolved still exist?

Comments

• I feel bad for the people who practice the Muslim religion...when so many people preach peace, but practice violence.
  • In fairness though, it's not all Muslims. I have Muslim neighbours, for example, who are super polite and pleasant people.

Generally speaking, our species is quite ignorant and foolish, and such isn't constrained by religion, cultural background, etc.
  • Like @Juxt, i won`t generalize the fact on all muslims. But the extremists really need to get their head out of their asses, accept that a joke is a joke (we do this all the time with our own religious beliefs and politicial views and no one died `cause of South Park`s Jesus or even Jack Black`s Year One), and start understanding that their violence actions ain`t helping their cause one bit.
  • MSQGanner wrote:
    Like @Juxt, i won`t generalize the fact on all muslims. But the extremists really need to get their head out of their asses, accept that a joke is a joke (we do this all the time with our own religious beliefs and politicial views and no one died `cause of South Park`s Jesus or even Jack Black`s Year One), and start understanding that their violence actions ain`t helping their cause one bit.

Agreed.
  • RajioRajio Centurion
    You've got to realize that the 'fundamentalists' aren't particularly religious. They just use religion as a sheild and an exuse for their crazy bullshit. Their 'cause' isn't religious at all.
    '
  • Rajio wrote:
    You've got to realize that the 'fundamentalists' aren't particularly religious. They just use religion as a sheild and an exuse for their crazy bullshit. Their 'cause' isn't religious at all.
    '

Sounds like most religions though (to me at least). Just look at Christianity back in the middle ages.
  • RajioRajio Centurion
    edited September 2012
    it is. only difference with islam is that its a relatively young religion. when Christianity was as young as islam is now, it was equally fucked up with violent fundamentalists.

full disclosure: I don't have a religious bone in my body but have no problem with those who are religious themselves ... but I do have a problem with people fucking shit up (violence, hate, etc)

tldr: bitches be using religion as an excuse for being all fucked up since religion became a thing.
  • Rajio wrote:
    full disclosure: I don't have a religious bone in my body but have no problem with those who are religious themselves ... but I do have a problem with people fucking shit up (violence, hate, etc)

Same with me. I'm not religious (though I was raised Catholic), but I do consider myself spiritual; I personally believe there is a higher power out there.

For me, I don't judge someone based on their religion and beliefs, political alignment, etc. _unless_ they're using those beliefs to hurt others. Otherwise, there's two kinds of people in the world (to me). Normal people and jerks. Most folk are normal people, thankfully. Not always that bright, but generally good folk non-the-less.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    edited September 2012
    Juxtapose wrote:
    In fairness though, it's not all Muslims. I have Muslim neighbours, for example, who are super polite and pleasant people.

Generally speaking, our species is quite ignorant and foolish, and such isn't constrained by religion, cultural background, etc.

It is people who take religion too far. There are tons of Islamics, and Muslims who use their religion as an excuse to riot and kill people. Just look at the story a week ago about 17 people who were beheaded in afghanistan because they were caught dancing.

Terrorist groups use religion to back their "holy wars" and make millions of dollars as well.

There are also christians who use religion to back their hate mongering.

In my opinion, people who beleive in "god" and the bible are nuts. And mostly , they prove me right.
  • Law212 wrote:

In my opinion, people who beleive in "god" and the bible are nuts. And mostly , they prove me right.

For me, I have no problem with Religion in general but the problem I see is that since religion is governed by people, it becomes twisted like anything else we touch.

In the middle ages, during the crusades, "God Wills It." was a big saying for Christians. Really though, it translated into "I want that!"

You should give Jack Whyte's Dream of Eagles series and Templar Trilogy a read. Lots of great religious criticisms in there.

• Why is it that in a largely Christian society , when someone in the states goes on a killing spree and says god told him to, do people not beleive him? God exists right? regardless of evidence , he without a doubt exists, so if he tells someone to go on a killing spree, then why [punish the guy?

Whenever I have asked a person to prove god exists they always say "well prove that he doesnt"

so, if this person says god told him to do such an act.....prove god didnt tell him to....

• That asside. I know some religious people. They are the coolest people you could ever know, but youd never know they were religious.

If people want to live based on t he principles of the bible, thats great. Its too bad that they can get lumped in with fanatics who just take whats writen in an ancient book (bible, Koran) and use it to justify their intolerance and hate.

• Sorry, I meant to say the peaceful Muslims who do practice peace...i was tired when i wrote that.

People use religion to promote all kinds of hate. just look at the US, religion is used for all kinds of hate and bigotry...but is "protected" under free speech.

the best quote I ever heard about religion was:

" i like your Christ, I dislike you Christians. you Christians are nothing like your Christ" Ghandi.

I think that pretty much sums up the Christian religions...but can be put to other religions as well.
  • And that's why there's only onw God. ME!!!! Now, go do my biddings, "worshipers" :P
  • I wonder how bad this makes them look to the world. Sure the film was not in poor taste to say the least but murder and rioting is not the answer.
    If the US responded in kind, would they drop a nuke?
  • I don't know why they don't just bury religion, all it does is cause problems, and useless fighting, like this bullshit.
  • I don't know why they don't just bury religion, all it does is cause problems, and useless fighting, like this bullshit.

Its kinda hard to bury something that the majority of the world believes in.
  • People need to stop believing in a talking snake.

Its true, it causes more hate, fear and killing than anything else. This world is one big asylum run by the inmates. theres no changing that now.

• OzziOzzi Centurion
    This in the middle east is ridiculous. I also do agree they use their religion to make it seem "right" to kill people.

speaking of the middle east what are your opinions on Canada cutting all diplomatic ties with Iran?

In my opinion Religion has created so many conflicts in the world. look at Iran and Israel

Religion no matter what they are all the same. so i don't get all of the hate between the others. like they way i look at it is i don't care what your beliefs are. your a cool person that's all i care about.
    Also,
    it has no place in politics
  • It has no place in politics , but it plays a huge role in American politics.

I like that Canada cut ties with Iran. I think north america has to cut ties with a few more places as well.

• Sorry, I meant to say the peaceful Muslims who do practice peace...i was tired when i wrote that.

People use religion to promote all kinds of hate. just look at the US, religion is used for all kinds of hate and bigotry...but is "protected" under free speech.

the best quote I ever heard about religion was:

" i like your Christ, I dislike you Christians. you Christians are nothing like your Christ" Ghandi.

I think that pretty much sums up the Christian religions...but can be put to other religions as well.

Great quote, so true.
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    Religious fanatics scare the bejeesus out of me.

Who has the time to get so upset about something so mundane?

I can't fathom the idea of a belief being so ingrained that you're willing to kill for it.

That kind of righteousness is beyond understanding for my North American first-world sensibilities.

I suppose that's the difference between 'thinking' and 'knowing'.

It's easy to become upset when you 'know' something is true and someone questions it, it's a lot less of a problem if you just 'think' something is true and are willing to admit that there are alternatives.

I don't believe in God.. but I'm not going to say there isn't one. I'm not that arrogant.