This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

UFC

DoosDoos Centurion
edited February 2013 in General
#UFC

Starting a thread for UFC/MMA events and discussion.

Just finished watching UFC 157 (The one with the girls!)

It was an excellent event.

A lot of great fights.. Surprisingly, Hendersen vs Machida was the most boring of 'em all.. the majority of undercard fights were fucking entertaining as hell!

The chick fight was crazy good too. Fast action!

Looking forward to GSP vs Diaz.

Comments

• OzziOzzi Centurion
    157 was a good event, i was really suprised also with Henderson and Machida super boring. not a whole lot happening there.

The chick fight i knew was going to be good from the beginning it also doesn't surprise me that
    Rousey
    won the fight!

Super quick fight just like i thought it would be. Once she got
    Carmouche
    into a spider web it was all done!
  • I'll probally watch GSP vs Diaz, but I find GSP is just so technically sound it makes his fights really fucking boring
  • unless GSP falls asleep and skips his regular prep and training...GSP diaz will be a sleeper
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    edited February 2013
    Yeah, GSP is good.. But he's not that 'one hit kill' Andersen Silva-good.. So his fights can be too technical.

But Diaz is a wildcard.. So it could bring out the animal in St Pierre..

But... Probably not.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    UFC got stale when they started doing fights every weekend. I haven't watched in about 2 years
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    I guess we won't see you back in this thread then!
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    You wish! but unfortunately for you that's not the case mofo!
    I'm surprised you started a UFC thread and didn't mention the 16 or so that recently got fired. The one I was surprised about was Jon Fitch.

He was actually a good fighter , but he was let go after coming off a loss. There are other fighters id rather see go in his place. What a tough job though, get beat which could happen to anyone on any given day and say good bye to the job.

And there is my commentary on UFC, not quite as insightful as "that chick fight was crazy good" but its something.

And now for what Doos really watched UFC for and who can blame him!

http://ca.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-715&va=UFC+ring+girls
  • Do you guys think st. George, spider and Jones will ever fight each other? Seems like what people want but strongly think it won't happen.
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    I think GSP and Silva might fight.. but I dunno. Who's to say how many more fights he's got in him? He's coming close to 40 years old.

Plus the whole weight class thing.. it's just unfortunate the one will have to move up or down and then that will always be the stigma attached to the fight for the winner/loser.

Plus.. all three are at the peak of their career.. a loss could cripple their bargaining power... just like what happened with Manny and Mayweather.

I'd like to see Silva vs Mayweather though! I hear that's a fight that Silva wants.. straight up boxing.

I'd watch that shit!
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    Wont happen because moving up or down weight classes would leave that person at a huge disadvantage.
  • Silva is really a light heavy wwight with a freakish ability to cut weight for a weigh in and regain it quickly. This is why he destroys people..well that and the fact he hits you from angles and directions you have never been hit before. GSP/ Silva will only happen so far in the future neither will be champ or even contending. It will just be a large final retirement payday for both...and gsp will get his ass handed to him.
  • I've been enjoying the UFC app on Xbox; as a newcomer to the sport, the behind-the-scenes with the fighters before the big fights are really useful and well done (I guess it's all on television but I don't have cable).

When I first heard about the women's fight in 157, and saw how beautiful Rousey is, I thought oh no, this must be a gimmick; but then I watched those previews and could see that no, she's the real deal. In fact, I was even getting a bit misty-eyed at the end of the first preview with Ronda where she spoke about her father's suicide.

But yeah, we need to see something other than armbar victories in the first round, eh.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    There are definitely good looking women who can fight. I know some really nice, really hot girls in boxing and muay thai and jui jitsu who are tough as hell. Its good to see women in the sport.
  • IgnitionCOREIgnitionCORE Centurion
    edited February 2013
    Law212 wrote:
    Wont happen because moving up or down weight classes would leave that person at a huge disadvantage.

Money talks, man. they throw enough cash at either fighter, which they are expected to do, and it could definitely become a reality

i hope it happens sometime soon, but GSP has to beat the crap out of Diaz first

EDIT: i agree with Echo though...GSP would get rocked by Silva
  • 1) Cyborg Santos would murder Rousey. Santos is practically a guy.
    2) I hope a super motivated GSP puts a beat down on Diaz.
    3) Spider would murder GSP
    4) Jones would beat Spider (maybe), but we know that fight will never happen. Spider legacy is too important. Fedor anyone??
    5) agree with Law. UFC was getting mad stale last year with the weak cards every weekend. But things are looking different 2013. The PPV's seem more spaced out, and the majority of cards are stacked.

Anyone watching the free card tonight?? What a stacked card. Wandy vs Stann and the 7-footer Struve vs the Somoan with hands of stone.

I swear, this card is the real life version of Streetfighter!!

• Law212Law212 Centurion
    The thing about Silva VS GSP is that it isn't so cut and dry. Youd have to either imagine a beefed up GSP , or a skinnier Silva.

It would be interesting to see GSP's more tactical , reactive approach to Silvas cocky showboating.
  • edited March 2013
    The thing about Silva to me is: Im always convinced his current opponent is going to beat him or give him trouble, then he comes out and does some crazy Ninja shit.

And Im not sure the weight class would make a difference like some are suggesting. Silva is 6'2 and GSP is 5'10, so either way Silva will always have a size advantage regardless if its at 170, 175, 180, 185 lbs. Spider having any "advantage" is def not good.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    I think that weight would even out the playing field more. To someone like GSP, what would he do when facing an opponent with longer reach who he for some reason couldn't land punches on?

Take down.

And for Silva to drop to weight, he would be losing muscle mass. GSP having to go up would be gaining quite a bit. So either way silva is going to face a stronger GSP.
  • @Ninja_Starz a lot of the weak cards were the result of injuries and there were a ton of them this past year

anyone watch the fights last night? Wanderlei Silva knocked Stann the crap out in the main event, but beside that nothing really interesting happened

i hope we get to see some super fights this year, but they are difficult to make
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    I watched the fights last night. Actually some really good ones. The main event was something to watch.
  • It's nice to see Wanderlei get the win back in Japan....he's not the same fighter he used to be, but at least he's never boring
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    Well fighters cant be on top too long. Fighting takes a huge toll . Just look at Couture coming to the end of his career. Loss after loss. He was great , but near the end he just couldn't keep up.

I remember Matt Hughes. He used to be really good. Though I don't think that his body let out. With him it seemed like the fear got into him. He got beaten pretty bad and never came back . He could have but I think that fear and doubt got into his head and it held him back.

Fighting isn't an easy sport.
  • I went to one of them UFC PPV thingys. It was pretty lame because we had seats that were in the back, way up top, so I couldn't see fuck all.
  • @Whor
    Well the cage is the size of a living room, so yeah, u aint seeing eff all.

I paid a fortune to sit 7 rows up at ACC when Machida fought Jones, and i couldnt see shit either. It was cool cause Dan hardy and Matt Mitrione were sitting about 4 rows in front.

Wandy KOing Stann, and Hunt shattering Struves jaw were insane.

Cant wait for next week. GSP GSP GSP!!!
  • Have you guys made your picks on the Sports Picks app on Xbox Live? Put your (fake) money where ur mouth is!
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    I made my picks, Anth.. Neat app.

So I finally got around to watching 154 (GSP v Condit) and there were some good fights that night.

Garza v Hominick was an amazing first round and a great all 'round fight.

dos Anjos is an up and comer.. I forget the other one and then there was Hendricks one-punch express.

Some good battles. GSP v Condit I'd heard about so I didn't bother watching when it originally aired.. but I figured now was a decent time to catch up.

Condit is getting a lot of work. He must be making some good bank over the last year.

Gets to kick Diaz's ass.. Gets beat up by GSP now gets to face Hendricks.

I hope Hendricks kicks his ass 'cause it'd be nice to see beardo get a shot at the title.

He's got those heavy hands.
  • Anderson Silva is one of the most joke fighters ever. The man makes a mockery of others skill.
  • Gsp is fighting thus weekend right?
  • AnThMaNAnThMaN n00b
    edited March 2013
    Kayareswon wrote:
    Anderson Silva is one of the most joke fighters ever. The man makes a mockery of others skill.

Noone has the raw experience and skill as Silva. He used to fight bare knuckles back in the day to survive using every form of martial arts possible to win. So he could win money and provide for his family.

Almost everyone he fights is an amature to him.