This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Xbox 360 DVD Drive

JuxtaposeJuxtapose Centurion
edited April 2013 in Technical Support
So my Xbox 360 Pro console's DVD drive is getting worse. Last night I played some Mass Effect 3 with @Lactos, and it took exactly seven tries of ejecting and closing the tray for it to recognize the game disc.

This morning though, it detected my Halo 4 Disc 1 first try.

Anyway, I called Xbox Support and confirmed my console is no longer under warranty, so basically, when it truly dies, I have two options:

1) I can set up a Service Order with Xbox Support, which will cost me about $100.00 and ship it in. Xbox Support will send me another refurbished console (my fourth), and while I'm generally fine with this process as I've done it enough before, the console will only come with a three month warranty. That's not a lot, and I very much recall refurbished consoles from Xbox Support used to come with a one year warranty.

2) I can go buy a new Xbox 360 S console at retail, running me about $299.99 + HST.

Is there anyone here using a refurbished console from Xbox Support that they got within the last year? If so, have you had any issues with it?

Comments

• 3) cheap used 360? I don't think you can use your old hard drive on the new ones

4) local repair? lots on kijiji, there is a chain called gamerdoc that does repairs cheap too, not sure how many locations they have though
  • JuxtaposeJuxtapose Centurion
    the1npc wrote:
    3) cheap used 360? I don't think you can use your old hard drive on the new ones

4) local repair? lots on kijiji, there is a chain called gamerdoc that does repairs cheap too, not sure how many locations they have though

- Correct, my HDD will not work with an S model console. I wouldn't buy a used Xbox 360 as I'd be concerned it's banned or has issues.

- Having it repaired locally, since they'd need to replace the DVD drive, violates the Xbox LIVE Terms of Use and could result in my console and/or Gamertag getting banned, which I don't want to risk.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    Try to hold out as long as you can, I think there will be a good 99 dollar option soon in the near future for a new 360
  • Juxtapose wrote:
    the1npc wrote:
    3) cheap used 360? I don't think you can use your old hard drive on the new ones

- Correct, my HDD will not work with an S model console. I wouldn't buy a used Xbox 360 as I'd be concerned it's banned or has issues.

- Having it repaired locally, since they'd need to replace the DVD drive, violates the Xbox LIVE Terms of Use and could result in my console and/or Gamertag getting banned, which I don't want to risk.

have they banned people for this? seems very odd
    Law212 wrote:
    Try to hold out as long as you can, I think there will be a good 99 dollar option soon in the near future for a new 360

I'd love to see that.
    the1npc wrote:
    Juxtapose wrote:
    the1npc wrote:

have they banned people for this? seems very odd

I don't know about the DVD drive specifically, but they have banned people for opening up and using various hardware components in their consoles (mostly HDD's, as I understand it).
  • @juxt
    Gameramma is located at Yonge n Bloor and they fix everything under the sun. Xbox's, PS Vitas, iphones, ps3, wii's, blurays/dvds, controllers, etc.

I asked awhile back if fixing a rrod 360 could get u banned and they said "no". Just voids ur MS warranty.

Im not suggesting going there, just pointing out what they said.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    I think you're right ninja. The reason HDD are banned was because of game hacks.
    opening and fixing anything in the 360 such as the DVD drive just voids warranty.
  • and if the warranty is out anyway, i'd go for it
    Law212 wrote:
    I think you're right ninja. The reason HDD are banned was because of game hacks.
    opening and fixing anything in the 360 such as the DVD drive just voids warranty.

Technically it counts as system tampering though. If you read through the terms of use, you'll see it states that opening up your console is a violation and can result in the console and or account being banned in general.

Thus, at this point, I won't be risking that.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    I haven't read the terms, but does it say that just opening the system is banable, or isit just warranty voiding?

I have not heard anyone being banned for fixing a disc tray or having the RROD fixed. Only for HDD swapping.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    Even so, if your console is on its way out, why not risk having it banned if you will most likely buy a new one anyway?
    Law212 wrote:
    I haven't read the terms, but does it say that just opening the system is banable, or isit just warranty voiding?

I have not heard anyone being banned for fixing a disc tray or having the RROD fixed. Only for HDD swapping.

I believe that any system tampering can result in a ban if Microsoft chooses, though it is HDD stuff I mostly hear about.
    Law212 wrote:
    Even so, if your console is on its way out, why not risk having it banned if you will most likely buy a new one anyway?

It's not the console ban that worries me, it's my account since I've been using it for over 6 years.

Tampering can lead to a console and/or account ban.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    They don't use any measures to detect DVD drives. They also cant tell if you have opened your system. They can detect chips used to play pirated games only when they release new software that detects it.
  • MSQGannerMSQGanner Centurion
    Ripping the seal (that little sticker between the 2 cover parts) will void the warranty if not done by acredited repair services provided by MSFT (and their affiliates). But, it may also constitute a reason/form of proof to do a ban for system/hardware tempering if the company deems (with justified tempering proofs) that their product is not being used as prescribed.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    who would know though?
    Law212 wrote:
    who would know though?
    If someone suspect's an illegetimate act (ban/suspension/warranty void, etc) by the corporation, then that person can use the legal procedures provided by protective laws instituted by the Gov't. Although it may become an hassle to do so and surely will take some time to gather enough evidence, protective services such as the BBB can provide tools to help on these legal claims.

• Law212Law212 Centurion
    Lol Ganner. get real
  • In other words: You can remove the seal and not worry about it.
    Law212 wrote:
    Lol Ganner. get real
    So, to you being an informed consumer and knowing both your rights and where to get legal help on contractual disagreement is not being real?? How the fuck you think those major corporations screws the average consumer? By putting that lack of general knowledge (from the consumers) to the corporation's advantage.

• Law212Law212 Centurion
    Ganner, I asked who would know that I opened my system. Then you posted about how to get legal help against "illegitimate " acts.......

sheesh.
    Law212 wrote:
    Ganner, I asked who would know that I opened my system. Then you posted about how to get legal help against "illegitimate " acts.......

sheesh.
    Ok, then it depends. If you replace a part (let's say DVD drive as an example), it has a serial number attached to it and if the company (let's say MSFT) notices that both the original serial number of that part doesn't match the one they have in their database then they'll simply know that someone tempered with it. It's as simple as that. I'll agree that for them to notice this they'll have to do an investigative checkup on the system through updates (and probably other means) but at the same time i wouldn't be surprised to hear that they do those checkups randomly across all connected (to the web) products.

• Law212Law212 Centurion
    Ok but if I open my 360 and solder the Xclamps back in place. Who will know?

Also again, I have not heard one story of a ban from replacing the DVD drive.

We already discussed how they know about hard drive replacement.

When my HD DVD player crapped out I called xbox support and they wanted a ridiculous amount to fix it. I told them im either going to fix it myself or buy a new one at a mere fraction of that price.

I told the service rep I would open it and try to fix it.....did MS come to my door? no.
    Sure, MSFT won't stop you from doing so since it would be useless for them to go knock on your door. If you solder it back into place it'll simply void the warranty as they'll surely won't be held responsible for a repair they didn't do rendering you responsible of your own repair work. By doing that you'd simply free them from any legal obligations regarding the said repair and any breakage (parts) that could occur afterwards.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    Ya, that's the point. They wont ban you. Not even for fixing your DVD drive.
  • edited April 2013
    Remember the "I got Banned" forums on xbox.com? I used to frequent them for a good laugh once in awhile and can say ive read hundreds of threads/posts, and i dont recall anyone getting banned for trying to fix their 360. All the "system tampering" bans had to do with modded 360's and controllers.

Not saying what ganner is saying isnt true, but u would think we would see more posts of this kind then in that forum as everyone's 360 broke at some point.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    I get a kick out of seeing people get banned , saying they didnt do anything wrong, and all or most of their last 5 played games were call of duty games.
  • Law212 wrote:
    I get a kick out of seeing people get banned , saying they didnt do anything wrong, and all or most of their last 5 played games were call of duty games.

I love the ones where is a parents asking why their kid got banned
    and the mod shows them the racist or terrible bio or username