This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

The zombie stuff thread

RajioRajio Centurion
edited September 2010 in General
BrrrrraaaaaiiiiiiiiIIIIIIiiiiiiinnnnssssss.....

Comments

• DoosDoos Centurion
    Brain Dump:

Great Zombie Books:

Zombie Survival Guide - Max Brooks
    World War Z - Max Brooks

World War Z apparently being turned into a movie...

Brad Pitt supposedly signed on for it.. it's in that post production limbo so I've read.

Dead Set is the UK mini series that aired last year, I think... it was very good.

Dead Island is an upcoming zombie game... details here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Island

Dead State is an upcoming Zombie RPG, details here:

http://www.deadstate.doublebearproductions.com/

The Walking Dead is an upcoming 6 part mini-series starting on Halloween, details here:

http://www.amctv.com/originals/The-Walking-Dead/about-the-show

Dead Rising 2 releases at the end of the month and will be a day one purchase for me.

• From Rajio in another thread "in my opinion, while there are a lot of zombie games and movies, most of them dont do the genre justice."

I agree with this 100%. Most of it's just a cash in, though you do get some solid works now and again. Of notable mention for me:

- World War Z
    - Dead Space
    - Shaun of the Dead
    - Zombie Land

I liked 28 Days Later until the soldiers came into play, then it was all down hill.
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    Is 'Dead Space' zombie related? I guess I don't rightly recall how them creatures came into play.

I also agree, most zombie stuff is pretty weak.

Too many twin stick shooters that really don't do much for the genre.

Plus a lot of straight-to-DVD swill that's more embarrassing than thrilling.

I agree with Jux's list, 'cept I'd add 'Dawn of the Dead' remake to it.. I liked it a lot.. 'cept for the whole zombie baby ordeal. I didn't feel it was necessary and it really drags down that part of the movie.

I'm always amped to watch it until I remember that entire 20 minute lull.

I also enjoyed 28 Days Later until the soldiers came in.

I liked Zombieland... but I have a couple of bones to pick with it.

Just a touch more thought put into it and that movie would have been oodles better.

Here are my gripes:

1) When Woody is driving his SUV down the road with the snow plow on it. One hit to a car, unless gently shoved would total that vehicle. Non-sensical to use it in that fashion.

2) Woody is on a rampage because the zombies ate his puppy. That's funny and sincere. Later you find out the puppy was actually his son, and the punchline is Woody wiping his tears away with money. Totally unnecessary at that point in the movie, it drags the entire comedy bit down and wasn't needed. The puppy was enough.

3) The 'grift' that shows how 'clever' the girls are is one of the oldest, lamest tricks in the book. That's been around since for-freakin'-ever and they should have used something a little less well known. Hell, there's a show on TV that I don't recall the name of that uses far better scams as education against being scammed. They could've picked any one of them and been better off.

There were a couple other scenes that I remember being like 'Really? C'mon!' but on the whole, I think the movie delivered.

I hope the sequel ('Cause there'll be one) is a bit better. Zombies with a high-speed camera rule.

• I agree with Jux's list, 'cept I'd add 'Dawn of the Dead' remake to it.. I liked it a lot.. 'cept for the whole zombie baby ordeal. I didn't feel it was necessary and it really drags down that part of the movie.
    Complete forgot about the Dawn of the Dead remake, and I agree with you. Two of my buddies worked on it, actually.
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    Really? That's awesome? What were they involved in?
  • 24-frame playback. Basically, any time the actors were watching something on TV, like a news broadcast, they cut the footage of that broadcast.

A few interesting facts:

- There was a broadcast that was cut which featured an actress we used on our major student film. We didn't like her. Our film won an award. It's hanging on the wall above my desk right now.

- In some of the zombie crowd sequences, the raw footage had the assistant director "directing" the zombie actors. He was shouting things like "Be more zombie like!" and getting pissed off at people's inability to act dead-ish enough for his liking.

- The ending past the credits was kept secret until the film was launched from as many people as possible. It was not in the script, and my buddies were surprised in theatres.
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    I'm not sure I've seen the ending past the credits...

Looking into it.
  • Fast zombies or slow zombies which is the best?
  • Fast. Slow are way too boring, unless they come at you from all angles they are barely even a threat.
  • Slow zombies, that way my survival rate went up through the roof (Assuming I survive the mass infection, chaos and lack of information being passed around. Oh, lets not forget them crazy people.)
    Y'know I don't understand why people would think a zombie invasion would be so cool. To make a zombie population significant to threaten humans would mean that alot of humans will end up dead and you just may not make the cut.
  • Slow zombies, that way my survival rate went up through the roof (Assuming I survive the mass infection, chaos and lack of information being passed around. Oh, lets not forget them crazy people.)
    Y'know I don't understand why people would think a zombie invasion would be so cool. To make a zombie population significant to threaten humans would mean that alot of humans will end up dead and you just may not make the cut.
    I dunno, maybe they need an excuse to use that ol' shotgun that hasn't been touched since the day of purchase. Or maybe they are just really horrible people who want most people on the world to die. O.o
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    I like the idea of Zombies because it gives me a reason to talk about survival tactics.

That's also why I like the idea of the slow zombie.

If it's fast zombies.. we're all fucked.

Slow zombies are bad enough, they're a constant threat, never stopping, never backing down. But at least you can out run them for a minute. Fast zombies it's the same but they're fast.

... and that would suck. Like those 28 Days Later 'Rage' zombies... ugh, fuck that.. I'd be toast.
  • Well, if you are speaking in terms of survival, of course slow zombies would be better. I like the idea of fast zombies though because they make everything so much better. How exciting would it be if you played a game or watched a movie where it took a zombie a whole minute to take 20 steps toward the person?
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    I'd love to see a game like Left 4 Dead done with slow zombies, limited ammo and headshots only.

When I first heard about L4D that's what I was hoping for... but it was a blitz.

I'm hoping one of these games coming out has the shambler.
  • TimothyWedelTimothyWedel Centurion
    edited September 2010
    I would also love a slow zombie game, like close nazi zombies slow (not REALLY slow). Although I like the faster zombie games better, I do like to have time to think things out before I get bombarded with 100+ zombies.
  • I don't get it.
    It leaves in question whether they actually survived or not.
  • Personally, I think a zombie apocalypse would ultimately be a great thing because it would get people actually worrying about important shit instead of just fucking money for a damned change. Stupid capitalism.

Slow zombies though. With fast zombies, I believe no one would survive.
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    I don't get it.
    It leaves in question whether they actually survived or not.
    Maybe we're seeing different endings... the very end credits scene (Which I hadn't seen) is of Woody and Murray quoting Caddyshack. "Au Revoir, Gopher!"

• Maybe we're seeing different endings... the very end credits scene (Which I hadn't seen) is of Woody and Murray quoting Caddyshack. "Au Revoir, Gopher!"

Wait, I'm talking about the credits of the Dawn of the Dead remake from a few years back.

You see some shots interspersed of jerk dude in the past with some topless chick on a boat, but after the credits, you see the survivors present day landed on an island, being chased back to their boat by zombies (and it looks like they may not have made it).
  • I do not know if this really has anything to do with zombies, I think they are zombies though. My computer is the worst computer to still exist on this planet, so I decided to play some classics I never went through before. All I can say is, System Shock 2 is freaking the heck out of me. The darkness of this game and those horribly made zombies are really getting to me.
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    I've been trying to get a working copy of SS2 on my computer for years.. Every time I try though I just end up freezing all over the place and it's problem/fix/problem/fix.

That game is incredible and is in dire need of a remake.

Also, Jux, yeah, I figured that out earlier, that you were talking of DotD and I was off in Zombieland... :P

I was walking across the street going to get some grub when it hit me.

Yes, I've seen that ending.. I thought it was awesome that they did that. I'm pretty sure they got f'd right in the A.

Fuck I love zombie flicks.
  • @YourEscape System Shock 2 is one of the greatest games ever made, period. The atmosphere in it is exceptional, and it truly is challenging, especially on the harder difficulty settings!

@Doos What OS are you running? I might be able to help you get System Shock 2 up and running, as you need to use some tricks on Windows XP and up since it wasn't meant to run on those OSes.
  • @Juxtapose
    Hey, have you ever tried the mods for System Shock 2 that make the higher res textures and models? If so, is there any problem with them and is it worth getting?
  • The System Shock 2 Rebirth mod is really cool. I didn't have any issues with them. Rebirth01_complimented is the one I've got.
  • I'm going to sometime try and get my hands on copies of Resident Evil 2, and 3 for the Gamecube. As embarrassing enough as it is, I still haven't beaten Resident Evil 1.

I'm always imagining what it would be like if a zombie infestation rose up on Earth. If its slow zombies, just go to my local food market, stock up, and hold out on my roof, with a gun. If its fast zombies, well game over man.
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    @Juxtapose

I'll PM you.

As for zombies, I rented Resident Evil like 3 times before I finally beat it... that was way back when, but I remember being amazed at how big that friggin' mansion is. I think there are even sharks in the basement.. although, maybe that was the second one.. It's been a long, long time.

Remake time!
  • Yup, Resident Evil 1 does have sharks, i'm pretty sure. They did remake it, on the Gamecube. It's just graphically enhanced. I still want them to remake RE 2, and 3 with better graphics. That would be a glorious day.
  • @Juxtapose

I'll PM you.

I await your PM sir!
  • Off topic of zombie related games and back to movies for a second, has anyone else enjoyed Dead Snow? Yet another in the long list of must see zombie movies.
    I've heard great things about it, but have never watched it myself.