This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Your Thoughts On Piracy?

Now I've only Pirated two things in my life. The first was Skyrim cause my account got hacked and Steam wouldn't help me. The second was the finale of Breaking Bad.
I honestly hated it, the one exterminator guy could have easily dated that rich chick because he has 8 million and what the hell happens to Jesse any way?
I also find it funny how they found the blue meth in TWD
You can call me a bad person but I usually pay for everything. (When it's on sale) I only pirate when I'm pissed off with the world. Or I loose something I charrish. So tell me DelayofGame users. Do You Disrespect Pirates and/or Piracy?

Comments

• I should have seen it coming, you're name is Law212. IT MAKES SENSE. I didn't want to accept it but... *sobs* Take me away.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    I don't pirate games. I did when I was younger though. I remember when you could return PC games. I used to buy a game from future shop, burn it then return it.

I mostly buy movies, but if its something that I just want to check out but im iffy on ill download it.

I download a lot of music but if I really like it , ill buy it on iTunes.

• piracy does not equal a "lost sale" imo
    I do buy music I really enjoy and make sure to support local bands and upcomings
  • there is one guy who pirates a lot on the forums not naming names. Some bird or something with eye balls.
  • WhorrorLoLzWhorrorLoLz Centurion
    edited October 2013
    I'll pirate a game if I'm not terribly excited for it. I have Saint's Row IV, The Bureau: XCOM Declassfied, Rayman Legends, and Castle of Illusions pirated right now. I pirate every movie and show I watch, and every song I listen to though. Other than that, I don't give two shits what people do with their life. If people wanna pirate stuff, rob banks, kill hookers; good for them.
  • Kayareswon wrote:
    there is one guy who pirates a lot on the forums not naming names. Some bird or something with eye balls.

Haven't seen him in a long time.
  • I don't pirate anything, though I did when I was younger (early high school). I only have one piece of pirated software left that I use to this day, and when I buy a new PC (spring now), that'll go too.

I'm an honest consumer and feel it's important to buy products simply to support what you want to support and see more of. Also, as a legit consumer, I feel I have more right to complain when I don't like something.
  • This discussion went from Piracy to "How do you feel about Prostitute Murder?"
  • I only ever download the odd album. But it's usually just stuff I'll listen to once or twice. I have a large collection, as I like to support my favourite artists that I listen to a lot, via CD and concert ticket purchases.

However, my friend downloads movies and TV shows regularly, like Whorror. I watch some of it with him, since he likes to watch movies with me, and usually take my hard drive over to put TV shows on it. Those air for free, and I can't afford to spend $40-60 per season DVD set, so it works out well. I don't really bother with the movies.
  • I want to comment, but, piracy is grouped in with religion and politics to me now. It's not good to talk about.

I buy everything. There is no real reason to download TV anyhow with most broadcasters throwing the shows up on their websites and Netflix having a lot of the back seasons now for a lot of stuff.
  • I find it easier, because then I can watch shows off of a hard drive and laptop/DVI to HDMI set up as opposed to having to deal with websites, time restrictions, region restrictions, etc.
  • Of course, the above is coming from someone who's spent thousands of dollars on DVDs, owning about 500 now. I didn't get as much use out of them as I would've liked and regret it. A lot of that was on TV on DVD sets.

I've spent tons of money on movie theatres, too.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    I really like Digital music and games, but I still like to buy my movies on blu ray. Having a hard drive full of stuff is much better than a ton of cd cases all over the house. Well stacked in closets.
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    This discussion went from Piracy to "How do you feel about Prostitute Murder?"

That's our Whorror!
  • I like my mentality of "If I don't want to pay for the price of admission, I don't deserve to have it."
  • Smoreninja wrote:
    I like my mentality of "If I don't want to pay for the price of admission, I don't deserve to have it."

same. i buy all my stuff, unless i'm borrowing or get something as a gift.
  • for music I just don't care really (I'll buy a few albums I really like)
    its all about "getting it out there"

if I bought all my music I'd listen to alot less and probably skip out on alot of concerts I otherwise wouldn't have gone too

I used to buy merch alot but now I usually just toss a bill in the tip jar because one can only have so many band shirts :P
  • This is always an interesting question. If you rent or borrow a game, and the creators of the game don't get a penny, is that any different than pirating? If you borrow a book from the library, the author doesn't make a cent, but that's considered totally acceptable while pirating an ebook is not. And hey, what about paying the minimum $1.00 for awesome Humble Bundles and then setting it all to go to charity instead of the creators?

I dig JohnnyXeo's suggestion it's like not talking about politics or religion.
  • Mecandes wrote:
    This is always an interesting question. If you rent or borrow a game, and the creators of the game don't get a penny, is that any different than pirating? If you borrow a book from the library, the author doesn't make a cent, but that's considered totally acceptable while pirating an ebook is not. And hey, what about paying the minimum $1.00 for awesome Humble Bundles and then setting it all to go to charity instead of the creators?

I dig JohnnyXeo's suggestion it's like not talking about politics or religion.

yes, the games industry bitches about piracy all the time and how used games are the same.....its silly. People on message boards especially getting butthurt over people buying used games bothers me.

some one had to already buy the game and sell it back for it to be used, devs wanting more money for an already sold copy are entitled as fuck, online passes are especially annoying.

"but a used copy doesn't give the developers money"
    ....ok cool

• Law212Law212 Centurion
    Ya if a copy is paid for , then that should be it. You should be able to do with it what you please.

• Doesn't someone somewhere buy a copy of a game, then just crack it and upload it? Isn't that how it works?
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    There are a few ways. A game can be stolen right from the developers and put out online.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    Doesn't someone somewhere buy a copy of a game, then just crack it and upload it? Isn't that how it works?

Im talking more along the lines of being able to sell it and lend it to others. What youre talking about it pretty much like making copies and giving them away.

• I honestly don't approve of piracy. I don't rat people out I know who pirate, but I won' t lie if ever asked by the authorities either.
    As far as loaning a game you bought to a friend, I don't consider that piracy. Unless your friend copied the game.
  • I don't pirate games at all. Have too many friends in the industry that get hurt by it.
  • DjDATZ wrote:
    I don't pirate games at all. Have too many friends in the industry that get hurt by it.

I don't really get this train of thought, I wouldn't think of pirates as potential customers
    my buddy pirates all his games pretty much but he also does not have much money so if he could not pirate a game its not like he would buy it

• DoosDoos Centurion
    I suppose if there was no way to pirate it there's more of a chance someone would go about getting it legally.

I steal all movies. I also pay for Netflix.

I support Netflix because I want them to get all of the movies so I dont have to steal them any more.

That's all I pirate. Unless Youtubing music counts as piracy...cause I do that all the live long day.
  • I'm also a fan of listening to music through YouTube. It works really well.
  • We live in interesting times. Back in the day, we had property rights, and we he had the right to re-sell our stuff. But we're quickly moving into a time where we do not buy or own our games, books, movies, etc as property -- instead, we purchase a limited licence to digital files that can be revoked.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-sale_doctrine

The whole thing with Xbox One and Steam offering to allow you to share game libraries is, I think, a way to make the "you don't actually own anything" pill easier to swallow.