This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

The Olympic Thread

MSQGannerMSQGanner Centurion
edited July 2014 in News & Politics
I noticed that no one started any thread on the topic (shame on you), so, I decided to start one myself since I eat, sleep, live, breed, dream Olympics for 17 days (altough it's technically 18 days this year... Qualicfications started yesterday in Slopestyle skiing, Downhill & Super Combined skiing, Women's Moguls, and Short & Paired Short program of Team Figure Skating).

On that "First Day" of Olympic Events, Canada fared well on every sides. Canada's figure skating Team finished 2nd on the Leaderboard after both the short and paired shirt programs (were 3rd after the Short program, and ended 2nd in the paired short one). Take note that Canada are one of the favorites for this event. Canada now stand 2nd behind Russia after two programs.

In Women's Moguls, all 4 Canadian athletes qualified for the Final, the Dufour-Lapointe sisters are to be watched in this event.

In Slopestyle Snowboard skiing, Maxence Parrot dominated his event with a nearly flawless run to pass directly into finals. Sebastien Toutant will join Parrot into finals while other Canadian athletes McMorris and Reid will have to go through semi-finals. In Women's Slopestyle, Spencer O'Brian got a free pass to the finals while Jenna Blasman will have to go through semi-finals.

In Men's Downhill and Super Combined, Erick Guay finished the first training session in 7th place while Jan Hudec, Ben Thomsen, and Manuel Osborne-Paradis respectively finished 24th, 38th, and 42nd of their run. Morgan Pridy did not start training. On the Women's side, Larissa Yurkiw and Marie-Michelle Gagnon each finished 13th and 46th after one descent.

During Thue actual Day 1 of the games no competition will occur as athletes and visitors will focus on the Opening ceremonies. Up so far it started well although there was a mishap when they deployed the Olympic Rings [insert "Poutine assassinating some employee" joke here].

Anywho, I'll try to keep it up to date regularly during the next two weeks with news and results of our Queb... Canadian athletes.
«1345

Comments

  • I'd like to see Canada vs. Quebec one day trololol
  • Kayareswon wrote:
    I'd like to see Canada vs. Quebec one day trololol

    I'd love that. Our head office, and my boss, is in Quebec, so there'd be lots of rivalry.
  • Quebec is so gonna kick your asses... Then we'll eat poutine victoriously.
  • MSQGanner wrote:
    Quebec is so gonna kick your asses...

    Still waiting for that to happen. Been waiting almost 20 years.
  • Don't worry Juxt, it'll happen soon... #InitiatingQuebecNordiquesPowerActivation
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    edited February 2014
    This is the only thing I've seen about the Olympics so far and ain't nothing that happens over there going to top it, me thinks.



    I've never been so happy to be Canadian.

    I hope nobody gets killed over there... but somebody is probably going to get killed.
  • As someone without cable, I'm thrilled by the job CBC is doing at olympics.cbc.ca with the live streaming and availability of everything on their website... so much better than the mess that CTV made of it last time. Looking forward to catching the hockey games live.
  • Have they started hockey yet ;)
  • edited February 2014
    How can Quebec even consider being its own country when it's a have-not province that receives benefits from have provinces just to stay afloat within Canada? The idea is fucking ridiculous, and angers me.

    Anyways...

    I love the Olympics and try to watch them as much as possible whenever they're on. I caught a small amount yesterday, due to driving out-of-town and going to appointments with friends and family, and watched a bit of the Opening Ceremonies today. Unfortunately, whenever I checked the evening coverage, it was almost always interviews or special features.

    I hope to watch a lot this weekend, and especially look forward to the snowboarding and moguls events, plus hockey.

    A guy I went to school with from grade 7 to grade 12 is competing for Canada in snowboarding. His name is Matt Morison. He didn't medal last time, but has done really well in other competitions.

    Too bad no events are on today, when I could watch them, unlike yesterday. The Opening Ceremonies' theatrics don't interest me.
  • Sorry Wick but I really don't follow on that first part.

    How can Quebec be at the mercy of the money given by other provinces when we provide 22% PNB and only receive 16-18% back?? When we have to fight off a federal Gov't to get a new bridge but they are about to give one away to the U.S. (Windsor-Detroit bridge) without even asking to those neighbours to pay their part in the project?? Where we can't get federal services in our French language from a country that calls itself bilingual yet only a minority of its demographics speak both official languages??

    Please, before cringing on Quebec, make sure the statement is accurate otherwise we may end up going into a dangerous slope on a topic that's already slippery enough as it is.
  • In Canada, the federal government makes equalization payments to less wealthy Canadian provinces to equalize the provinces' "fiscal capacity" — their ability to generate tax revenues. A province that does not receive equalization payments is often referred to as a "have province", while one that does is called a "have not province".

    Quebec will receive the most from equalization payments in the 2013-2014 year.
    However, per capita, PEI benefits the most.

    In the 2013-2014 year, the following provinces will receive equalization payments:

    Quebec ($7.833 billion)

    Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equalization_payments_in_Canada
  • MSQGannerMSQGanner Centurion
    edited February 2014
    Canada has Justin Bieber... And Whorror. Quebec wins.
  • the1npc wrote:
    missed the opening :(

    It will replay on NBC at 7:30EST
  • MSQGanner wrote:
    Sorry Wick but I really don't follow on that first part.

    How can Quebec be at the mercy of the money given by other provinces when we provide 22% PNB and only receive 16-18% back?? When we have to fight off a federal Gov't to get a new bridge but they are about to give one away to the U.S. (Windsor-Detroit bridge) without even asking to those neighbours to pay their part in the project?? Where we can't get federal services in our French language from a country that calls itself bilingual yet only a minority of its demographics speak both official languages??

    Please, before cringing on Quebec, make sure the statement is accurate otherwise we may end up going into a dangerous slope on a topic that's already slippery enough as it is.

    The whole bilingual thing it's kind of a farce. English is pretty much Canada first language and the main business language in the world. Quebec school do not put the main language first.The only reason it's still held on I'd because parliament is there. Very little of Canada speaks French with many provinces at only to 2%.

    He'll the fact that if some things are so beyond archaic. http://world.time.com/2013/04/08/quebecs-war-on-english-language-politics-intensify-in-canadian-province/ is pretty much stepping back 30 years and proclaiming racism in a way. It's really sad to see crap like that and thus i have so little respect for the politicians that promote this and run the province like that.

    The whole soccer racism thing against Muslims too.. I don't have really any sympathy for Quebec. Sorry you are there but it's run terribly.

    I can keep going on but I'll just end it with Quebec is the thorn of Canada. Don't try to call me racist somehow either I'm Canadian too. If your going to play the French cats of racism sorry I think France is alright. Maybe make new thread.
  • MSQGanner wrote:
    the1npc wrote:
    missed the opening :(

    It will replay on NBC at 7:30EST

    awesome

  • Kayareswon wrote:
    MSQGanner wrote:
    Sorry Wick but I really don't follow on that first part.

    How can Quebec be at the mercy of the money given by other provinces when we provide 22% PNB and only receive 16-18% back?? When we have to fight off a federal Gov't to get a new bridge but they are about to give one away to the U.S. (Windsor-Detroit bridge) without even asking to those neighbours to pay their part in the project?? Where we can't get federal services in our French language from a country that calls itself bilingual yet only a minority of its demographics speak both official languages??

    Please, before cringing on Quebec, make sure the statement is accurate otherwise we may end up going into a dangerous slope on a topic that's already slippery enough as it is.

    The whole bilingual thing it's kind of a farce. English is pretty much Canada first language and the main business language in the world. Quebec school do not put the main language first.The only reason it's still held on I'd because parliament is there. Very little of Canada speaks French with many provinces at only to 2%.

    He'll the fact that if some things are so beyond archaic. http://world.time.com/2013/04/08/quebecs-war-on-english-language-politics-intensify-in-canadian-province/ is pretty much stepping back 30 years and proclaiming racism in a way. It's really sad to see crap like that and thus i have so little respect for the politicians that promote this and run the province like that.

    The whole soccer racism thing against Muslims too.. I don't have really any sympathy for Quebec. Sorry you are there but it's run terribly.

    I can keep going on but I'll just end it with Quebec is the thorn of Canada. Don't try to call me racist somehow either I'm Canadian too. If your going to play the French cats of racism sorry I think France is alright. Maybe make new thread.
    LOL It's not what I meant. I meant that the Gov't services should be available in both official languages wherever you are in the country. Not only Quebec province has French people in this country. New-Brunswick is pretty much split 50-50 between French and English languages, Saint-Boniface, Manitoba is French. Heck, there are even French villages in Alberta.

    As for the whole learning process, I'll refrain to comment since I believe it's one heck of a sensitive topic that I'm biased upon. Plus, instead of all this we should call a truce, and have a Russian come in to rip apart.

  • Have they started hockey yet ;)

    damn straight

    looking to forward to watching those games
  • Have they started hockey yet ;)

    damn straight

    looking to forward to watching those games

    So apprently this is the last Olympics with NHL Players. The Board of Govenors don't want players playing in 2018
  • See I disagree on the Russia hate. Don't get me wrong anti gay is bad. The world now decides to care?

    What about all the other countries that do so much more horrid things to gay people. This is classic "it's news worthy" easy attention grab. Post Olympics this will be a forgotten issue. Why not highlight the good things about Russia. People are proclaiming hate, which is a super strong word, on Russians.

    If your going to hate on anti gay counties name them all or don't bother.
  • Also Manitoba has a population of 1.2 million 100k speak French. How does that make it French. Where do you get you facts from. Mine are from stats Canada. Furthermore French is on a steady decline. Down from 10 million to 7 million.

    Hell from what I understand it looks like French is pretty much close to being Canada 3rd most spoken language now. Being bumped out by a foreign language.
  • New Brunswick and Ontario are the only other significant places that have French speaking in contrast to Thierry population.
  • MSQGannerMSQGanner Centurion
    edited February 2014
    LOL I meant to desmolish the Russians in the games. Olympics are many things but politics ain't one of them.

    As for the Manitoba thing I meant Saint-Boniface in Manitoba is French, so, my facts are still right. Please stop trying to add fuel to a topic that has nothing to do with the thread subject.
  • I will be very happy when the pros are not in the Olympics anymore. Never liked it, and it always went against the winter and summer games being about the best amateur athletes.
  • Medal alert: Mark McMorris just won a bronze medal in Snowboard Slopestyle.
  • CBC also have an incredible app available on all devices(not sure about BB10 though. I know it's on WP, Win8, iOS and Android) where you can live stream every single event or watch each event shortly after it has finished airing. All in HD as well. It's awesome. I'm watching a live HD stream of the women's USA vs FIN game as I type this on my Surface and the quality is perfect! Only complaint is for some reason the commentators are speaking French, lol. Perhaps it's a secret Quebec ploy to make the rest of Canada learn French :P
    Now I've got the Men's snowboard slopestyle final on my phone and the women's hockey game going on my Surface. Even on my phone the quality is perfect. This app is incredible!
    Everybody interested in keeping up with the Olympics needs to download this app. It's called CBC Sochi 2014
  • happy about the bronze but the judging was pretty awful....Parrot should've been on the podium
  • MSQGanner wrote:
    LOL I meant to desmolish the Russians in the games. Olympics are many things but politics ain't one of them.

    As for the Manitoba thing I meant Saint-Boniface in Manitoba is French, so, my facts are still right. Please stop trying to add fuel to a topic that has nothing to do with the thread subject.

    I'm not trying to add fuel. Correcting facts. That's your interpretation that stats are fire starter. Just because I provide a stat doesn't mean I'm arguing or anything like that. It's just numbers don't get
    so up in arms.

    Your fact was not right, you generalized all of Manitoba it's now correct about a place Manitoba. Again if you thing I'm trying to be done kind of jerk you're sadly mistaken.

    Sure I'll go back on topic. I just don't like misinformation being accepted without any sourcing. It's a pretty common problem with internet.
  • Also these Olympics are very heavily politics involved. To say it's not is ignoring the whole gay issue in it's entirety. Sure it's not a fun subject to talk about discrimination but it exists and better to take a stand and that shit it's wrong.
Sign In or Register to comment.