This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Gaming in the news

SmoreninjaSmoreninja n00b
edited September 2010 in General
So I'm commuting to school reading Calgary's Metro when I found this story.

Microsoft apologizes to gamer

Microsoft Corp and Xbox Live are apologizing to a West Virginia town and a 26-year-old gamer of violating the online gaming servive's code of conduct by declaring he from Fort Gay.

So next time someone has a CoC violation and asks WTF here: Don't assume that they spammed every curse word imaginable in their Bio, they could have honestly put in they are from the town of Dildo.

Comments

• I saw this yesterday in some evening edition of a paper called "Tonight" or something.

Perhaps they should smarten up and not be so quick to ban.
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    Heh, If you'd seen all the crap that they've seen, you'd probably have an itchy trigger finger too..

Glad they backed it off though.. not glad that it was apparently newsworthy.

Y'know, I talked to Support once, they lost my console for 6 weeks and it took them a year to send me my free Xbox Live Vision Cam.. which actually turned out to be a used controller.

Did I get press? Nooooo!

It's all a popularity contest! I tells ya!
  • Next time call the media and start a public rant.

• RajioRajio Centurion

contests are not allowed.
  • *crossing fingers xbox news will go away after Reach lauches*
  • DoosDoos Centurion

contests are not allowed.
    Nice.

I too am hoping Xbox News goes away... It's almost insulting.
  • I'm suprised to see the word Xbox in any of my local news papers.
    I really don't like the's look of whats-her-name.
    First she looked like she was all srs bisness now it seems she wants me to oggle her.
    It's kinda like saying "Y'know most of my stories are crap so look, cleveage! [Insert steroytipical gamer quip here]"
  • Well, here’s Smore with s’more news.
    Taken from the Calgary Metro, again.

U of C to open gaming library
    Lara Croft: Tomb Raider will now be up there with philosophy and psychology books. The university of Calgary library is unveiling the country’s largest video game collection for academic study, according to librarian Jerremie Clyde. “We’re just trying to support a great way for scholarly learning. They’re great for studying from woman’s studies to education. “ Clyde said adding that students will have acess to games with their school ID or library card. The facility said they are also accepting donations in exchange for tax receipts. The full collection will be complete next spring with the grand opening in the fall.
  • SmoreninjaSmoreninja n00b
    edited September 2010
    I don't think it will work like that. I remember my dad picking up computer games at my local library we took it home played it and since we are good people we returned it.
    So does that mean if I was attending UofC I could have another blockbuster to goto?
  • I'd assume that since you gotta be a student of UofC and that they can easily keep track of who takes what they can fine you until you pay and if you don't you can't graduate.
    That brings up the question: Whats more important? Getting a free copy of Reach, or grad?