This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Conflict in the Middle East - Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.

RajioRajio Centurion
edited July 2014 in News & Politics
Here you go guys, a catch-all thread in which you can discuss or post about issues related to conflict in the Middle East including (but not limited to) the Israel-Palestine situation.

A few points of note, particularly since this is a politics thread;

Avoid name calling, bickering, instigating, and antagonizing others. There will be others whom you disagree with. They will post things they think are fact which you think are misrepresentations or flat out lies. Thats not a big deal, or a reason to get into squabbles. If anybody i seen as behaving poorly as described above, the moderation staff will have to get involved.

The conflict(s) in the middle east are not going to be resolved though an internet argument, and you're all adults capable of behaving civilly to those who have different (and wrong) viewpoints.

That being said, have at it.

Comments

• edited July 2014
    quick edit: my mother is a war veteran for fighting communism and my grandmother on my fathers side grew up on a concentration camp, my grandfather was shot at by nazi's when he was 8 years old.

Here is the thing. Majority only pays attention to what is in the news(if the so choose to do so or via their friends who are directly involved with "Y" situation) which is a giant propaganda machine. Most people don't even know what hamas is or that it exists There were peace talks between Israel and Palestine very recently but had to stop because the building they were both in was hit by a rocket.

This is from a artist I listen to. In all honesty this should be most peoples standpoint. The moment you pick a side means you actually think you know what is going on.

R.A. The Rugged Man Official Page's photo.
    12 hours ago
    Here is one of many messages asking me to speak up about the Palestinian Israeli conflict but In all honesty I'm not knowledgable enough to come on social media and try to pretend I'm an expert on the subject. I know people are dying and its a horrible situation and i obviously wish the killing would stop… besides that my only information is what I get from from media outlets (which I have no clue how reliable the sources are.)

He never even replied to this guy and all of a sudden this person lashes out at him days later. So irrational. Some people condemn people without any understanding or even listening to what they have to say.

Even more so, for many people, this is the only conflict that seems to matter to them. Let's ignore Congo 20 million estimate, Australia 25,000 aboriginal children intentionally separated from their families to the cleanse out the Aboriginals, USA from selling weapons to just about everyone in the middle east to their whole approach to natives etc, Germans, 348,000 greeks were killed by Turks, half million Don Cossacks by Russians, Poland, Japan, Croatia, Guatemala, Pakistan, North Korea, Rwanda, Tibet, Inidia with it's 1 dollar red light district where womanchildren are kidnapped and to be sold.... I can keep going.

Each country is a business not a morally run machine even in the slightest. There is oil in the middle east. Very simply, it is in the interest of countries to have it easily accessible there. Give them guns, bomb etc. Let the people who live there clear themselves out and legally invade(go "help" them) to get at the oil. There are other agendas of course but this one is the big goal.

I personally don't think this is a good thread for DoG, just my opinion. As is right now we are a gaming community, I'd like us to not bring in 1 sided hatred into the threads via new memebers(it will because a lot people aren't willing to hear the various sides) If we are going to have this I'll expose you guys to some interesting documentaries.
  • edited July 2014
    WARNING many will find this disturbing

• you might not understand but it's about North Korea being in the world cup. Apparently the beat Japan 7-0 USA 4-0 and China 2-0 lool
  • JuxtaposeJuxtapose Centurion
    you might not understand but it's about North Korea being in the world cup. Apparently the beat Japan 7-0 USA 4-0 and China 2-0 lool
    I heard about this yesterday, but then heard it was a hoax video not actually made in or shown in North Korea.
  • See and I never heard it was a hoax because I didn't look into it beyond the first posting. I should of questioned it but I didn't care to. Now magnify this problem on a worldwide scale and mix it up with no ability to find the truth.
  • JuxtaposeJuxtapose Centurion
    See and I never heard it was a hoax because I didn't look into it beyond the first posting. I should of questioned it but I didn't care to. Now magnify this problem on a worldwide scale and mix it up with no ability to find the truth.
    Well that's the thing, I heard the DJ on my radio mention the video, and when I (very briefly) looked into it later that night, CBC had said it was a hoax video that had gone viral.

Assuming their right, of course.

And yeah, misinformation happens all the time. A more simplified example: Go tell someone a story and tell them to pass it on. After it goes through about 10 people, ask the last person to tell you the story. It won't be the same. Broken telephone happens all the time.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    Isreal is targeting children

• Law212Law212 Centurion
    I was going to post the video of the boy killed in air strikes, hes lying dead on a table and his dad is crying over him , saying wake up I bought you a toy. His relatives haveto remove him from holding his son, who'se skull is blown out and only his face remains. His brain is gone but his dad is still crying for him to wake up.

And then look up the amount of isreali dead from this conflict (genocide)
  • There are no armed conflicts without civilian casualties. It is in Hamas interest to keep this conflict going regardless of any attempt between Palestine and Israel for peace negotiations. Hamas set up their base of operations in civilian areas without vacating civilians. How do you come to a resolution and peace?
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    both sides need to just stop and move on , but neither will.
    The fact is though that isreal has the far superior weapons and they are constantly killing children. Not to mention they don't need to be beating and imprisoning children.

of course Palestine is going to try to fight back with the meager weapons they have.

• edited July 2014
    If it was just Palestine and Israel the crease fire would still be going. You can say what you want about the tragedies that have been caused by both sides. Hamas has no problem with Palestine casualties as they know that anything they do well result in a strong Israeli response.
  • Hamas has an annual budget of $70 million, according to the Council on Foreign Relations. It gets financial support from expatriate Palestinians, private donors in the Middle East, Muslim charities in the West, and Iran.

Here are some notable events in its 21-year history:

1988 - The covenant of the Islamic Resistance Movement is published. The group presents itself as an alternative to the PLO.

1989 - An Israeli court convicts Hamas leader Sheikh Ahmed Yassin of ordering Hamas members to kidnap and kill two Israeli soldiers.

April 1994 - Hamas orchestrates its first suicide bombing. Five are killed in the Israeli city of Hedera.

February to March 1996 - The Palestinian Authority cracks down on Hamas, after a series of Hamas-orchestrated suicide bombings in Israel kill more than 50 people. Palestinian President Yasser Arafat condemns the bombings, referring to them as "a terrorist operation." Later, the PNA arrests approximately 140 suspected Hamas members.

1997 - Hamas leader Sheikh Ahmed Yassin is released from prison.

1999 - King Abdullah of Jordan closes down Hamas headquarters in Jordan.

2001 - The U.S. State Department lists Hamas on its official list of terrorist groups.

June 12, 2003 - A suicide bomber disguised as an ultra-orthodox Jew detonates himself on a Jerusalem bus, killing 16 Israelis. Hamas claims responsibility.

August 20, 2003 - A suicide bomber detonates himself on a bus killing at least 20 Israelis. Hamas and Islamic Jihad claim responsibility.

Don't MissBarak: Israel in 'all-out war' with HamasGaza: Crucible of conflictAid reaching Gaza, but U.N. says it's not enoughCalls grow around world for calm in Gaza

January 2004 - The first Hamas female suicide bomber kills four Israelis at Erez crossing in a joint operation with the Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades.

March 14, 2004 - Hamas and the Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades claim responsibility for a double attack at the Israeli port of Ashdod that kills 10 Israelis.

March 22, 2004 - Hamas leader Yassin is killed by Israeli air strikes.

March 23, 2004 - Dr. Abdel Aziz Rantisi is named as Yassin's successor.

April 17, 2004 - Rantisi is killed by an Israeli air strike on his car.

August 31, 2004 - The Islamic militant group Hamas claims responsibility for deadly simultaneous explosions on two buses in the southern Israeli city of Beer Sheva that killed at least 14 people and wounding more than 80.

September 26, 2004 - A leading member of Hamas, Izz Eldin Subhi Sheikh Khalil, is killed by a car bomb as he leaves his home in Damascus, Syria.

December 12, 2004 - An attack at a checkpoint on the border between the Gaza Strip and Egypt kills five Israelis. Hamas claims responsibility.

January 14, 2005 - A bomb at the Karni crossing at the Israel-Gaza border kills six Israelis. Hamas claims responsibility.

January 25, 2006 - Hamas, running as the "Change and Reform Party," participates for the first time in Palestinian parliamentary elections. The group is fielding 62 candidates.

January 26, 2006 - Hamas wins a landslide victory in the Palestinian legislative elections. Hamas wins 76 seats, and Fatah 43 seats in the 132-seat Palestinian Legislative Council, giving Hamas a majority.

March 29, 2006 - The new Palestinian Prime Minister, Ismail Haniya, and his cabinet are sworn in. The governments of the United States and Canada say they will have no contact with the Hamas-led Palestinian government.

June 25, 2006 - Hamas militants attack an Israeli military post and kill two soldiers. A third, Gilad Shalit, is kidnapped. The Palestinian government denies any knowledge of the attack.

Early June 2007 - After a week of battles between Hamas and Fatah, Hamas seizes control of Gaza. Read a profile of Gaza

June 14, 2007 - Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas dissolves the government and dismisses Ismail Haniya as Prime Minister. Haniya rejects this and remains the de facto leader in Gaza.

April 18-19, 2008 - Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter meets with exiled Hamas leader Khalid Meshaal, in Damascus, Syria.

June 2008 - Cease-fire truce between Hamas and Israel negotiated by Egypt goes into effect. Hamas agrees to stop firing rockets at Israeli border communities and Israel will allow limited trade into and out of Gaza. The cease-fire has a six-month deadline.

December 19, 2008 - Hamas formally ends cease-fire with Israel. Attacks between the two had continued the entire time to some degree, escalating more in November.

From December 24, 2008 - The rocket attacks from Hamas increase and so do the retaliation air strikes from Israel. 
  • Palestinians live in Israel as well among Israelis without conflict. It's not like it's all Israeli. My friend in Israel has many Palestinian friends.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    If it was just Palestine and Israel the crease fire would still be going. You can say what you want about the tragedies that have been caused by both sides. Hamas has no problem with Palestine casualties as they know that anything they do well result in a strong Israeli response.
    a statement chirped by many.

Though not necessarily true, It all depends on which version of the truth you listen to.
    Tragedies by both sides..... right.

anyway I wont get into discussions about this, ill only be posting videos and stories and pictures.
  • The whole thing boils down to racism, endless cycle, religion and because we see talking about middle east oil.
  • If we're going to talk about middle east talk about the whole thing not just one area. Just because the popularity of Palestine and Israel is on the radar doesn't mean that the surrounding regions are all doing great. The whole area it's really messed up.

• Syria, Iraq and Egypt are all in a mess right now.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    honestly dude, im just posting about Syria and Palestine, that's what the thread title was going to mention when I was going to make one but someone decided to beat me to it and just made it "middle east"

Israel is pure war crimes and if they weren't an ally to the USA then UN would have been allowed to act against them long ago.

• honestly dude, im just posting about Syria and Palestine, that's what the thread title was going to mention when I was going to make one but someone decided to beat me to it and just made it "middle east"

Israel is pure war crimes and if they weren't an ally to the USA then UN would have been allowed to act against them long ago.

Let's be real UN is pretty useless.

• MSQGannerMSQGanner Centurion
    UN is useless cause of the 7 countries who wave veto cards every time UN tries to do something right. If it was a more democratic alliance where every country had the same, equal rights then things would be different.

As for what as been happening over the last century or so (probably could go further than that but will stick to the last century), it's a shame that these middle eastern country let themselves be gouvern by stupid govern,ents who rather impose religions than human rights to their citizens. And when religions tends to take over these said rights, we all know what happens: War! Let's get rid of all the religions in this world and keep our facts to the principalities of respecting all life and comon sense and we'll get rid of half of these wars and religious clashes that has been occuring for way too long now.