This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Damsel in Distress

JuxtaposeJuxtapose Centurion
edited August 2014 in News & Politics
Was linked to this video series on a site I go to and found it interesting. Only watched the first part, below, thus far, but curious as to your thoughts.

Overreaction? Hit the nail on the head? A blend of both?

I plan to watch the remaining parts over the next few days.

Comments

• Don't even get me started on her.
  • I would say a blend of both.

I grew up playing Mario and Zelda games and I don't think it had had any effect on the way I view females and I definitely have never believed that they are weak and need to be sheltered by men.

I think they are just video games and if that is what people are taking away from them then it is probably an issue with the person, not the game.

(I've only watched the first part as well. Will update when I watch more.)
  • Yeah, I'll discuss more when I watch more. After the first episode, my thought is that she raises some interesting points, and she's not entirely wrong, but she's also not bringing up legitimate counter arguments and thus her views are completely one-sided.

But I'll comment more later after I watch more.
  • RajioRajio Centurion
    Yeah, I'll discuss more when I watch more. After the first episode, my thought is that she raises some interesting points, and she's not entirely wrong, but she's also not bringing up legitimate counter arguments and thus her views are completely one-sided.

you make it sound like she is responsible for arguing with herself.
  • edited August 2014
    what about the roles in movies? what about the roles of men of ethnic background (italian, black etc) who are cast as gangsters, pimps exclusively?

on one hand i totally get it. but on the other hand i sometimes think to myself .. are we really arguing about a video game and how women are portrayed in it? i can't think of any scenario in real life that has spawned attacks on women because of video games.

i think the overrall issue though is a society thing and shouldn't be aimed at video games. Metroid, Lara Croft, Soul Calibur et al have women kickin' much ass.

it's a slippery slope. i don't put much emphasis on video games and their depiction of anything. it's a game. i know i'm not a level 40 wizard in real life ... i know i'm not a military operative .. i know i'm not a guy who shoots women .. i know i'm not this or that so i'm weirded out on how video games get blamed for so much that is a society issue.

in order to change video games, you have to change the people and i'm not entirely sure that needs to be done in video games. i'd be more concerned if Activision or Rocksteady had developers that were going out pimp slappin' women etc.

i don't think you fight the good fight on behalf of women by targeting video games. and i honestly don't know of anyone who disrespects or sees women in some type of way because of video games.

i can respect what she's saying and how women seem to have issues with Mario saving the princess but c'mon man. is the energy spent on video game uprising worth it? there are women in real life being persecuted on a much larger scale .. why not aim there instead?

• Yeah, I'll discuss more when I watch more. After the first episode, my thought is that she raises some interesting points, and she's not entirely wrong, but she's also not bringing up legitimate counter arguments and thus her views are completely one-sided.

Heh, that's not what I meant :p.

Simply that it seems very one sided.

For example, she doesn't mention Metroid and Samus Aran from the same period and on the same platform.

For example, she doesn't mention Metroid and Samus Aran from the same period and on the same platform.
    This is a common theme in her videos.

• she mostly mentions big AAA games aimed at..........18-35 year old males
  • TimothyWedelTimothyWedel Centurion
    edited August 2014
    Yeah, I'll discuss more when I watch more. After the first episode, my thought is that she raises some interesting points, and she's not entirely wrong, but she's also not bringing up legitimate counter arguments and thus her views are completely one-sided.

Looking at the topics discussed in the next videos I'm sure she will mention Samus. Specifically how when you finish any of the games fast you get to see her with less and
    less clothes on. Same thing with Lara Croft and her breast issue.

Looking at the topics discussed in the next videos I'm sure she will mention Samus. Specifically how when you finish any of the games fast you get to see her with less and
    less clothes on. Same thing with Lara Croft and her breast issue.
    Ah, perhaps. Won't have time to watch the next one today.

They scaled Laura back though in Tomb Raider (2013). She looked, while still gorgeous, more normal.
  • To be honest ... I tried to watch it but I find her voice annoying. Wish I could just read her points, I don't like watching videos for debates, harder to process for me at least.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    I watched the first video , but I think im missing her point?

Yes girls have always been the one the manly hero saves . Though that's what appeal to males, who are the majority of gamers. We all want to be the hero that saves the girl.

I will fully admit I like when females in games look good with jiggle physics and so on.

I do like games with strong female characters though, but it also helps if they look good.
    Do you want to play as Olga the homely girl with an eating disorder? Or you wanna raid tombs as lara croft?

The girl who made the video is a feminist and is just amking these videos to show her friends how feminist she really is so she can keep her club card.

• The girl who made the video is a feminist and is just amking these videos to show her friends how feminist she really is so she can keep her club card.
    When it comes to Anita, I definitely agree with this but aren't woman almost half of the total amount of gamers these days? The stigma that all gamers are horny teenage boys still exists and the industry still makes games to cater to this but it certainly isn't true.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    Last time I looked up the stats, women are definitely almost half. I think its in the high 40s. Though it also shows that the stats are that high because of facebook and mobile games.

• Yeah, there's still a lot of stereotypes with gaming. The general consensus I'm aware of is that games are still played by teens to thirty something men who live in their parent's basements.

Which is generally BS, but said stereotype endures.

I believe women make up almost 50% of the gaming market, but they do play lots of mobile and Facebook games, which still count as games.

The games we here (mainly) play tend to be more male dominated.