This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

The Era of "definitive" and "complete" editions

edited October 2014 in News & Politics
We've talked about this about a bit but I'd like to really get into it. Too often now our first taste of a game is sour, unpolished and shrouded with false promises. DLC at times is being used by large companies to fix and finish products that needed more time to complete vs. being happy with a solid product and giving people more but not taking away from the initial product. These "definitive" editions that are coming out release for the same price as the launch title. It really shouldn't you are getting all this other content right?

I'm going to use a few games to contrast what I think is good DLC and what is bad DLC. Feel free to add your good and negative DLC. Frist off there is no black and white to this there is a whole spectrum of different quality DLC. So i'm going to attempt to point out the different types along with qualities.

-Vanity based DLC
is rather harmless when it's free it's great(shadow of Mordor) when it costs something not a big deal. BTW LoL has made over 1 billion on vanity DLC. Impressive.

-Day 1 DLC
(if free it's ok) payed day 1 DLC i think infuriates a lot of people. Free day 1 supports early adopters.

-pre-order DLC
not a huge fan, sometimes it's simple vanity stuff other times it tips the scale of gameplay which is wrong. Supporting early adopters of game is important.

-on Disc DLC
this is actually more difficult that you think. Most are already working on DLC during the launch of a title. This has many reasons such as but not excursively to save themselves time on framework downloads. This isn't soo bad until we have a capcom scenario where finished content is locked away on the disc.

-Content DLC
like more maps, weapons that extend the life of the game are great. Alternative stories that don't take away from the main story arc are also great. Cut content DLC like destiny (to the point where the player has no idea WTF is going on in the game and needs DLC to actually understand story in the main title game) is just wrong

-Booster DLC
I get it but I really don't like it. You will find this stuff in sports games mainly and on phones. Designed in such a way (especially on your phone) to allow you to play the "free" game some more.

Comments

• gtaIV got it right same with the modern fallout games

• gtaIV got it right same with the modern fallout games

And Borderlands

• I never played the dlc, it seemed good though
  • Jux tripple posting getting that point across like a boss!

In regards to DLC like complete editions comparing the bare bones vs. what you played how do you like it. Did you get the DLC loaded version of MK or the bare bone?
  • I liked how Bad Company 2 released retooled maps over it's life span with the Online Pass.

Also enjoyed the updates that was in Burnout Paradise and they way the had their DLC put out
  • Jux tripple posting getting that point across like a boss!

In regards to DLC like complete editions comparing the bare bones vs. what you played how do you like it. Did you get the DLC loaded version of MK or the bare bone?
    Sadly no, the board's been acting up on me for two days now. It triple posted a draft in progress on its own, I never hit to publish it.

Took me over 20 minutes just to delete them, and it keeps giving me an error when I try to post my real post.

Saving it to Notepad for later and contacting Raj.
  • As you're all aware, DLC is a touchy subject with me and has been 2008. That's when DLC really shifted from being premium at launch to going to free after x amount of months to remaining perma-premium.

I immediately saw a ridiculous amount of negative trends that would come about if said model was successful, and the only major one that hasn't come true is my prediction of premium patches.

I'm still not a fan of DLC and the model it uses, but of course it's here to stay for now and there's nothing I can do directly about it.

Indirectly, however, I can simply stop giving publishers my money at full retail cost for a product that simply doesn't deserve it.

If I want a new release, with very few exceptions these days, I can usually wait the three to four months for a major price drop. Should I pick the title up then, I'll only buy specific DLC I want when it goes on sale. Waited 2.5 years for Mass Effect 3: Omega to go on sale, as I'm that patient.

If a publisher wants to release an unfinished, unpolished product, as so many do now, great for them. I can wait until they get their shit together and when I can pay them substantially less for treating me and every other customer poorly.

Since I have less time for gaming these days and rarely need any game Right Freaking Now!!!11111!!!!, I can also wait for the definitive edition a year-ish down the road, which, as @Kayareswan mentions, releases at traditional retail cost, but with all or almost all the DLC bundled in.

And even then, unless I'm bored or it's a game I really finally want now, I can wait for that definitive edition to go on sale to. Nothing wrong with getting the full product for a lot less.

I really miss the polished games of yesteryear, and the proper expansion sets that added a nice amount of single and multiplayer content that were also reasonably priced. I really miss when companies treated its consumers with honest appreciation and respect as opposed to nickle and diming us for everything.

Then of course there's TellTale Games, the company that makes excellent story-driven games, but has yet to fix my game breaking bug in The Walking Dead (Xbox 360). I want to play the second season, I want to play The Wolf Among Us, but until they fix my broken product, they don't get money from me. Ever. On any platform.
  • Finally got my real post up, and had to clear some incomplete shadow copies the board decided to post on it's own. So weird.

For Mortal Kombat, I bought the vanilla version (Xbox 360) two days after launch. As you all know, I loved the game and played the snot out of it. That Christmas, Xbox LIVE had the Season Pass on sale for 50% off, so I decided to bite since I was still playing the game a lot.

In the Spring of 2012, I got my PlayStation Vita with the game, which was sort of the Komplete Edition.

I then bought the PC version of the Komplete Edition recently dirt cheap with part of the credit I got from my Kitana statue.
  • Finally got my real post up, and had to clear some incomplete shadow copies the board decided to post on it's own. So weird.

For Mortal Kombat, I bought the vanilla version (Xbox 360) two days after launch. As you all know, I loved the game and played the snot out of it. That Christmas, Xbox LIVE had the Season Pass on sale for 50% off, so I decided to bite since I was still playing the game a lot.

In the Spring of 2012, I got my PlayStation Vita with the game, which was sort of the Komplete Edition.

I then bought the PC version of the Komplete Edition recently dirt cheap with part of the credit I got from my Kitana statue.
    So having played the DLC, because you procured a cheaper version of it but still bought it, how would you stack up the DLC of MK? Would you, for example, consider when MKX comes out and turns out to be good based on your experiences buy dlc full price this time? If it's a matter of not wanting to pay full price I fully understand but I'm curious if this could be perhaps different.

Also blind buying DLC of any kind makes me annoyed. Much like many have done with destiny to "save" 5$.

So having played the DLC, because you procured a cheaper version of it but still bought it, how would you stack up the DLC of MK? Would you, for example, consider when MKX comes out and turns out to be good based on your experiences buy dlc full price this time? If it's a matter of not wanting to pay full price I fully understand but I'm curious if this could be perhaps different.

Also blind buying DLC of any kind makes me annoyed. Much like many have done with destiny to "save" 5$.
    Yeah, so Mortal Kombat X is a game I'll be getting on launch day. I've loved Mortal Kombat so much and played it for so long I have no issue buying the game on day one. Assuming I can preorder the PC version via retail or Steam, that'll mean I'll get Goro as well; so that'll be the first "added" character I get, pre-order bonus.

So for the DLC for Mortal Kombat (2011), generally, I felt it was overpriced at full retail, and I know a lot of people were not happy with Freddy being the surprise character (though I know many who also were and they want more horror characters).

Basically, I felt Mortal Kombat had a ridiculous amount of content in the game, and $5.00 for a DLC character was a lot in the end.

The difference I could see is if you mained one of said characters and went on to win tournaments with them. For example, Kenshi is either the second or third best character in the game at high level play, but of course then you'd be making your money back and them some. Both Skarlet and Freddy were considered top 10 as well, with only Rain being lesser.

For Mortal Kombat X, I want to see how (and who) they include as DLC before I decide. My expectation is I likely won't buy many or any until a sale hits, just like before. My exception would be if Kitana or Mileena don't make the retail roster but are added in as DLC. Unless they look poor, gameplay wise, I'd likely pick them up since they're my mains now and I love and want to play as the characters.

But yeah, I definitely agree about blind buying, since you can get so easily burned with that. Even with regular DLC, at least you can see what you're getting and decide if you want to take the plunge or not, but putting money to something that you don't even know what it'll be...
  • I don't mind DLC. I just hate that every game now has to have a Season Pass, as opposed to just the major ones it makes sense for.