This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Comments

• I don't like gamergate and now it's getting too popular even when it's on a leaderless downward spiral. It's now making Sarkeesian money and I assure you she won't move past gamergate and let it die off, it now helps her move her agenda at this point she needs it. Journalism ethics (which is what started this) is laughed at because our community is laughed at. Cherry picking data, she doesn't like video games(), Death threats etc. it's all a giant mix of bullshit.

I am 100% behind equality.

I can't stand this bullshit

ripped from the wiki

The controversy began when Zoe Quinn, an indie game developer, became the target of harassment when her ex-boyfriend posted several allegations against her, which included her having a romantic relationship with a journalist for the video game news site Kotaku.[14] Some Internet users, particularly on 4chan and Reddit, began attacking her, falsely claiming that her relationship resulted in favorable media reviews for her recently released game Depression Quest, and included violent threats which prompted her to flee her home. Although concerns about journalistic impropriety proved unfounded, as there was no review of the game,[15][a] allegations about journalistic ethics continued to clash with acts of harassment and misogyny.[2] Around the same time, feminist media critic Anita Sarkeesian released a new video in her web series looking at the depiction of women in video games; having already been harassed over the concept of the series, Sarkeesian faced a new wave of harassment after the new video which also included death threats that led her to decide to flee her home, as well.[18] In October 2014, threats of a school shooting over Sarkeesian's planned talk at a university and death threats to indie game developer Brianna Wu over mocking tweets on the hashtag #gamergate brought further international attention to the controversy. A number of sources debated whether the unorganized, leaderless movement behind Gamergate was unable or unwilling to distance itself from those perpetrating the threats.[8][9][10][19][20][21][22] Other incidents of harassment and threats targeting men and women on both sides of the debate have occured, prompting calls for calm from GamerGate supporters and opponents.[23][24][25]

how stupid does gamergate look to someone that doesn't game? very stupid.

At the end of the the day a mayor doesn't use death threats to push their agenda. Mayors get waaay more death threats. Racism and sexism is pretty bullshit.
  • That 12 minute video gave me cancer.

• DoosDoos Centurion
    I stopped going to video game sites. Mostly because no one can seem to write a review without spoiling parts of the game in some fashion or another. A side benefit to that is I get to completely miss out on all the new ways the internet game nuts have decided to fuck themselves.

Yay! Ignorance really is bliss.
  • MecandesMecandes n00b
    edited October 2014
    Journalism ethics (which is what started this)...

..."The controversy began when Zoe Quinn, an indie game developer, became the target of harassment when her ex-boyfriend posted several allegations against her...
    Gamergate was not started by a conversation about ethics in journalism — obviously, because the Wiki that you yourself quoted tells you precisely and correctly what started it: sexual harassment of a woman in the industry by a jilted ex-lover. That led to increasing harassment of women in the industry who defended her in an attempt to silence them, and also to the "Streisand effect" — that is, instead of silencing women, the gamergaters have made this whole thing the subject of widespread media attention, and have dragged the reputation of all us gamers to hell (see the part where Felicia Day expresses her fear to speak about gamergate because she is starting to fear gamers and doesn't want to get doxxed... and is immediately doxxed and harassed by gamergaters.)

There's historically always been the subject of ethics in games journalism. Because it's a young (in time and ages) industry, the companies with deep pockets are able to walk all over it and buy coverage. Heck, even small indie sites that are sent free copies of games for "review" gush about how "honoured" they are to receive free games, and pal up with PR people at local parties where they are wined-and-dined. They've been bought on every level, from the little guys to the big guys. And that does matter, and journalism should always be questioned (in all media, not just games). Ironically, what "ethics in games journalism" needs most is even more independent people like Sarkeesian who are not financially beholden to games companies. More people who say what they think, rather than what they are told or paid to say.

But think about it: Gerstmann and GameSpot. Keighley and Doritos. Warner Brothers and the YouTubers. Did these or all the other obvious ethical scandals in games journalism cause anything like Gamergate? Nope. Why now then? Because women. Because Gamergate's been championed by famous non-gamers with an ultra-conservative agenda with regards to their beliefs about the "place" of women (and "social justice warriors") in the world. Championed by small minded people who fear change, and express their fears with bullying. Women are seen as easy targets for them — that's why men in games journalism (who are the primary people behind the ethical breaches we're talking about), are not being harassed and doxxed and threatened with rape. That's because it's not about them.
  • RajioRajio Centurion
    Anyhow, I always wondered - why does games journalism in particular need its own distinct set of ethics separate from all other forms of journalism?

Surely journalistic ethics are nothing new. Surely not everybody writing words is a journalist.
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    I hope people uttering death threats get charged with as much. That'd be nice to see. A nice big black mark on their permanent record saying 'This person has a history of being a douche.'

What was the name of that squad of dorks who were fucking with Sony's network and then they called in a bomb threat to the airline some Sony guy was on.

Did they ever get busted publicly?

That's the thing.. you never really know who's getting busted on these anon groups because they don't exactly go around telling you. They catch the weak ones and make 'em spill what they know and then get the bigger ones.
  • Ironically — horribly terribly ironically — what games journalism needs most is even more independent and opinionated people like Anita Sarkeesian who are not financially beholden to games companies. More people who say what they think, rather than what they are told or paid to say.

Gamergate needs a Voltaire-era enlightenment: "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    It needs independently wealthy people with no further ambition than to honestly review games.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    I agree, it needs people who just do it casually for fun with no aspirations to be a "game journalist" or make money from it.

I never look at reviews or gaming sites and I haavent for years because all the reviews were either written with lips sealed around developer anus, or completely tearing apart a really fun game that wasn't from a big name dev or a typical FPS .

• OzziOzzi Centurion
    Yeah i agree. Some of my favorite games are games that got terrible reviews. Or are small titles.

I only go to gaming sites for news. I never read the reviews. I personally don't see the point in reading them. You're the judge for games you play, not a reviewer. I tend to watch gameplay to help me decide if i want a game or not.
  • edited October 2014
    I feel bad that she has had death threats against her. Death threats to males are not news worthy but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Rob Ford would get 100's of death threats daily. Mayors ignore 98% of them. Even when they seem real guess what? They still went to work.

I still don't like her campaign and gamergates camp... whatever the fuck they are doing.

She does make good points but she also makes points that simply aren't true.
    I'll use a brief example hitman.

The game has always wanted you to kill bad guys(because you are a hitman) and killing innocent people makes you lose(because a hitman doesn't do that, the game penalizes you for doing that)

"players are meant to derive a perverse pleasure from desecrating the bodies of unsuspecting virtual female characters"-Anita Sarkeesian

(source: Jump to 4:30 or watch the whole thing
    )

This is all I'm going to use as an example. I'm all for independent opinionated people. I just can't get behind any of these people.

You know what part of feminism makes sense? Trying to get equal pay in the workforce. In the same job positions woman are consistently paid less. Here is great Forbes article on this very subject. I don't mean to derail but I just want to take the time to addresses some of the more pressing issues woman face.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/forbeswomanfiles/2014/04/07/the-awful-truth-of-the-gender-pay-gap-it-gets-worse-as-women-age/

Now that's a real problem.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    I don't get why shes still getting attention. Its completely stupid
  • Anyhow, I always wondered - why does games journalism in particular need its own distinct set of ethics separate from all other forms of journalism?

Surely journalistic ethics are nothing new. Surely not everybody writing words is a journalist.
    its different in a sense, 95% of gaming journalists are just pr mouth pieces
  • RajioRajio Centurion
    even if that was true, i dont see how it would differ from, say, food journalists, smartphone journalists, or movie journalists, or music journalists, etc.