This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Comments

• MecandesMecandes n00b
    edited November 2014
    Here's the trailer without the need to install QuickTime:

I hate to say this, but when the first trailer for The Phantom Menace came out, it got me a lot more excited than The Force Awakens trailer.
  • The trailer looks alright to me, I'll give it a chance.

Is it the New Republic battling the Imperial Remnant?
  • I'm assuming that what we're seeing is the result of suits at Disney demanding J.J. whip together something for Thanksgiving/Christmas.

Notably absent: even the slightest hint of Luke, Leia or Han.

Prediction: the mouse droid on the soccer ball is the new Jar Jar.
  • for comparison
    That's the one... gungans in the mist... The editor of that trailer should win a lifetime achievement award for how good they made that movie look, eh?
    I actually don't like that cross hilt. Doesn't seem functionally sound to me.

I'm not entirely sure (since the storyline doesn't follow the books) but i think it'll be about Emperor Palpatine's clone trying to revive the Empire and the Siths.

The trailer looks good but i would've prefered they'd do the Yuzhan Vong story instead or Admiral Thrawn's trilogy which were 2 of my favorite book series.

I'm not entirely sure (since the storyline doesn't follow the books) but i think it'll be about Emperor Palpatine's clone trying to revive the Empire and the Siths.

The trailer looks good but i would've prefered they'd do the Yuzhan Vong story instead or Admiral Thrawn's trilogy which were 2 of my favorite book series.

Is the clone even a thing though, as all the expanded universe was de-cannonized a while back.
    It worked in the medieval era lol

• Well yeah, The Clone Wars... Which sets the storyline for expansion on the clone matter later on. Many characters get cloned throughout the expanded universe ranging from Palpatine to Luke. The only difference is that troopers shouldn't be clones anymore by the time they get to A New Hope, although the Emperor had many secret cloning facilities containing many of the fallen Jedis and extinct races DNA.

There are even hidden Death Stars and the Katana Fleet which disappeared after the clone wars. There are also other factions that uses the force (like the Vongs) differently than the Jedis and Siths which changed the whole understanding of what the force really is and how it works.
    It worked in the medieval era lol

Well yeah, but this is a cross guard that will cut the wielder's own fingers off through use!

It's not a cross guard I have an issue with, but what this one is made of that makes it so disastrous!
  • Well yeah, The Clone Wars... Which sets the storyline for expansion on the clone matter later on. Many characters get cloned throughout the expanded universe ranging from Palpatine to Luke. The only difference is that troopers shouldn't be clones anymore by the time they get to A New Hope, although the Emperor had many secret cloning facilities containing many of the fallen Jedis and extinct races DNA.

There are even hidden Death Stars and the Katana Fleet which disappeared after the clone wars. There are also other factions that uses the force (like the Vongs) differently than the Jedis and Siths which changed the whole understanding of what the force really is and how it works.
    Ah, I never watched Star Wars: The Clone Wars animated series beyond the first season.

So Palpatine did clone himself in it?
  • The character won't lose fingers, he uses the force to control the lightsaber, hilt and such. Heck, C'Baoth had lightsabers coming out of his knees and never cut himself with it.
  • I guess, but if it slides a bit in the hands, those fingers are gone. A cross guard made of Cortosis makes more sense to me, though I don't know if Cortosis exists anymore or if it was EU only.
  • The Emperor tried to clone nearly everything he thought he could control, including himself. We don't hear about him cloning himself in The clone wars but in the books Luke finds at least 2 facilities containing Palpatine's clones (yeah, there are more than one, most are cryogenically frozen) and at least one Clone (Emperor) gets revived and tries to recreate the Original Empire where Luke get seduced towards the darkside and nearly become the next Vader...
  • I guess, but if it slides a bit in the hands, those fingers are gone. A cross guard made of Cortosis makes more sense to me, though I don't know if Cortosis exists anymore or if it was EU only.
    Or in a battle of strength, which happens. Blades lock, and if the whole sabre gets pushed closer to the body...
  • The Emperor tried to clone nearly everything he thought he could control, including himself. We don't hear about him cloning himself in The clone wars but in the books Luke finds at least 2 facilities containing Palpatine's clones (yeah, there are more than one, most are cryogenically frozen) and at least one Clone (Emperor) gets revived and tries to recreate the Original Empire where Luke get seduced towards the darkside and nearly become the next Vader...
    Right, but that EU stuff is no longer canon as I understand it.

Of course they could still do their version of it.
  • They decided to not go along with the EU cause many, like me, would've known the whole storyline just by looking at the trailer. They'll still add parts from the EU throughout though but modified versions to fit a 2:30 hrs movie. Not to mention that some things would be hard to do in a movie, like Exar Khun's essence haunting an ancient temple on Yavin IV, or Palpatine's presence still roaming where the 2nd Death Star got destroyed.
  • That makes sense. It'd be a shame to throw away completely solid source material.
  • Since the next trilogy happens somewhat 30 yrs later i hope they wont act as if the things that happened during those 30 yrs (in the books) didn't occur. And that they'll bring forth important characters like Admiral Palleon, Jaina, Anakin, Jacen, and Mara Jade, amongst many others.

But from what i can understand from the trailer, it seems like the rise of the new Siths which would make a great story plot for further movies (after that trilogy)
  • RajioRajio Centurion
    If you want to enjoy the EU books, enjoy the EU books. there is no reason the new movies have to be bound to them.
  • If they don't bind some elements from EU in the movies we'll have certain people wrongly thinking that characters like General Grievous uses the force (:P)

Plus, it would help those who didn't read the books to understand better what the force is, what are Siths and Jedis, and how the Empire and Galactic Alliance evolved through the years.
  • If you want to enjoy the EU books, enjoy the EU books. there is no reason the new movies have to be bound to them.
    I get what he's saying though; he's looking for consistency in the overall story telling since all the mediums were linked for a long time.

That matters to some people who are really into the stuff and invested in that world.

Sadly though, @MSQGanner, I don't think it'll happen and I think the EU will be separate, with perhaps some themes and general story arcs carrying over.
  • I don't mind if JJ Abrams changes the storyline to some degree, but i hope he does it a bit like TWD did. Specially if he decides to do the Rise of the Siths.
  • RajioRajio Centurion
    edited November 2014
    The mediums weren't really that linked though. The books and games etc were derivative of the movies but I don't think the movies were ever particularly derivative of anything both the other movies, and even then they forsake canon readily when it meant making a 'better' movie.