This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Thank You and Free Content

JuxtaposeJuxtapose Centurion
edited December 2014 in News & Politics
Hey all,

Saw this a few days ago and completely forgot to post it. For those of you who have Halo: The Master Chief Collection, and played it online before Fri. Dec. 19th, you're going to be getting some free content.

It's all detailed in the Thank You from 343 Industries' Bonnie Ross here.

The gist of it is:

- 1 Month of Xbox LIVE Gold
- Exclusive In-Game Nameplate
- Exclusive In-Game Avatar
- Halo 3: ODST's Campaign
- "Relic" Halo 2 Anniversary Multiplayer Map

The first item will be available by mid-January, either automatically added to your account or sent to you via a message. The next two items will be available sometime this month.

The remastered Halo 3: ODST Campaign will be available this Spring. For those not eligible to get it for free, it'll likely be premium DLC you can buy when released.

The remastered "Relic" map will also be available this Spring, and I think this will be available to all users.

There's an official FAQ here.

Comments

• Pretty cool of them, I guess. I haven't bothered to play the game since it launched. I only beat CE. I still don't think I unlocked all the achievements I should have.
  • I was confused as to what they meant by you had to be "online," but they just mean connected to the internet while you played the game. I thought they meant you have to play MP.
  • Nice of them to give us some complimentary stuff for putting up with the incredibly buggy and broken game they put out.
  • I assume they're gonna do Reach at some point next year as well. It's the only main Halo game that won't be on Xbox One, so I doubt they're just gonna be like, nah.
  • the only way Halo fans would play Reach or ODST on Xbox One is if they were free
  • I assume they're gonna do Reach at some point next year as well. It's the only main Halo game that won't be on Xbox One, so I doubt they're just gonna be like, nah.
    They might not. Apparently Halo 3: ODST's Campaign was not in their development schedule and they're doing this special because they botched up.
  • the only way Halo fans would play Reach or ODST on Xbox One is if they were free
    The Campaigns though? I've heard very few people complain about them, especially Halo: Reach.

The multiplayer for both though, I've heard lots of complaints about.
  • i have nothing against the campaigns for either, but i got MCC mostly for the multiplayer

playing Halo 2 against other people was a pretty big selling point for the game

i was excited to play Halo 1 online for the first time as well, but it doesn't have the best netcode

having all those maps, modes and engines under one UI is also appealing

if i want to play the campaigns for any of the Halo games then i can revisit them on my original copies, but MP is different when it comes to player population
  • i have nothing against the campaigns for either, but i got MCC mostly for the multiplayer

playing Halo 2 against other people was a pretty big selling point for the game

i was excited to play Halo 1 online for the first time as well, but it doesn't have the best netcode

having all those maps, modes and engines under one UI is also appealing

if i want to play the campaigns for any of the Halo games then i can revisit them on my original copies, but MP is different when it comes to player population
    Ah, makes sense. Yeah, if you're focusing on MP, then what they're giving won't seem as huge.
    They might not. Apparently Halo 3: ODST's Campaign was not in their development schedule and they're doing this special because they botched up.
    I know, but if Reach is the only one left (besides for Halo Wars, but that doesn't count), I don't see why they wouldn't just do it.
  • I didn't even know about this.
    I know, but if Reach is the only one left (besides for Halo Wars, but that doesn't count), I don't see why they wouldn't just do it.
    Halo Wars is pretty great.
    Halo Wars is pretty great.
    the fact that an rts had great controls on a console blew my mind, had some really fun times online with the game
  • RajioRajio Centurion
    it shouldn't be surprising. making an rts work on any control scheme should be fine. the thing is, you have to design the gameplay specifically for the interface. if you try to port a mouse, keyboard, and monitor game directly to a controller and tv setup you're going to have a rough time.

halo wars worked because they designed the game mechanics specific to controller and tv use.
  • I had planned on playing Halo 5 beta tonight but I totally forgot once I got home.
  • ^ Same. I was too busy watching Agents of Shield.
  • Couldn't play tonight either. No game would load. I reset my xboxone and now I'm downloading the beta.
  • I feel like a complete noob playing Halo 5. It's like I have no idea what I'm doing... lol

Alternately, I use Bumper Jumper in both the Halo 5 beta and in Destiny, and while some of the controls are the same, there are quite a few that are different. Things like A being the super and it being sprint in the Beta don't make for a fun experience when trying to transition from one to the other.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    Can you really still not customize controls on consoles?
  • Can you really still not customize controls on consoles?
    Most games won't let you, which is ridiculous.
  • @Law212 They have preset configurations. I still have no idea why you can't just remap shit. FFS.
  • @Law212 They have preset configurations. I still have no idea why you can't just remap shit. FFS.
    I've never understood that with console games, with a few exceptions.

Obviously they keep the sticks for movement and looking, makes sense. But if I want to switch Melee from RB to B, I should be able to.
    I've never understood that with console games, with a few exceptions.

Obviously they keep the sticks for movement and looking, makes sense. But if I want to switch Melee from RB to B, I should be able to.
    Boggles my mind too!