This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Steam Questions

Hey all,

A few more Steam questions in light of the disastrous Mortal Kombat X patch today.

Can someone tell me how to back up save games in Steam, and also how to set the Steam Client to not auto-download patches (I'm assuming the last one is in general account options)?

Thanks!

Comments

• MSQGannerMSQGanner Centurion
    Idk about the back up save but to disable the auto-updater you need to go in the D/L section and manually disable each game you don't want the auto-updater on
  • WhorrorLoLzWhorrorLoLz Centurion
    edited May 2015
    As far as MKX goes, it should automatically save to the cloud. Most games do. I dunno where you'd find the save file on your HDD. As for turning updates off, it doesn't look like you can do it anymore.

• JuxtaposeJuxtapose Centurion

As far as MKX goes, it should automatically save to the cloud. Most games do. I dunno where you'd find the save file on your HDD. As for turning updates off, it doesn't look like you can do it anymore.

Thanks to both of you, and yeah, I confirmed last night that you can not turn auto-updates off. You can stop them from applying until you launch the game, but that's it.

I did figure out how to back up the saves based on what other people were suggesting; a specific folder to copy to elsewhere.

@MSQGanner That's the problem though, the bad patch yesterday overwrote peoples local and Cloud Storage and blanked both.
  • save files is in program files -> steam -> steamapps -> games iirc
  • MSQGannerMSQGanner Centurion
    can players create their own Mortal Combat X server and were you on one of those? @Juxtapose

If so, chances are that the server adm didn't update the said server preventing you from seeing it. It may also be a dev glitch, if your gave saves were connected to theirs...
  • JuxtaposeJuxtapose Centurion
    MSQGanner said:

can players create their own Mortal Combat X server and were you on one of those? @Juxtapose

If so, chances are that the server adm didn't update the said server preventing you from seeing it. It may also be a dev glitch, if your gave saves were connected to theirs...

I don't believe players can, however it's just the basic Steam Cloud Storage. Not sure if disabling Cloud Storage before hand would have prevented the loss or not.

Thankfully I was at work, so I lost nothing.