This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

New bike, big problems. Advice?

So my ride is going on vacation and I hAve no way of getting to work so I decided to go out and buy a bike. I went out and got one today, rode it for an hour, shifting the gears around and finding the right one for just cruising around and everything was fine.

A couple hours later I decided I wanted to go get some snacks so I rode my bike to the grocery store and got some snacks. Again, no problem.

On the way back home there was a lot of uphill riding so I tried changing the gears to better suit the ride and found the gears to be very hard to change. Like, I could barely physically pull the shifter thingymabob down. The whole rest of the way home was just a huge mess trying to get the gears to change. Sometimes they would, sometimes they wouldn't, some gears I couldn't even get to at all.

The way the gears work are there are three levels with each one having 7 gears. How it stands right now is I can go to the first level and all 7 gears work. When I move it to the second nothing happens except it starts clicking and when I move it to the third it finally goes to the second level and clicks some more until I move the shifter back to the second spot. I can then use all 7 gears on the second level but I can never get the third to work.

Any advice or should I just return it?

Comments

• I'm not a bike guy so sorry if that's hard to understand.
  • Don't try and fix it, sounds like a faulty gear. Did you buy it a bike shop or walmart/canadian tire? If you bought it so soon, better just to return/exchange. Could have been how the rep put it together.
  • MSQGannerMSQGanner Centurion
    Sounds like it needs a tune up. Probably the gears screws that are not set to the right position. I'd tell you to do it yourself but if you dont know what your doing you could mess everything up. You should go to the bike store and get it tuned up (if under warranty, it shouldnt cost a thing, and if not, it should cost a few $$ to fix it)
  • JohnnyXeo said:

Don't try and fix it, sounds like a faulty gear. Did you buy it a bike shop or walmart/canadian tire? If you bought it so soon, better just to return/exchange. Could have been how the rep put it together.

I'd have to agree. If you bought from Canadian Tire/Walmart, thats most likely the problem. My guess would be the rep didn't put it together properly. If you can afford it, I'd recommend getting a bike from an actual bike shop instead. If not, at least bring your bike to a proper bike shop to get it tuned up.

• OzziOzzi Centurion
    I'd return the bike. and swap it out for a new one. Sounds like some faulty gears that will cause some headaches down the road even if you get them tuned up.. Honestly I recommend getting a good bike from a bike shop. Better quality, and they last much longer if you get regular tune ups.
  • I got it from Canadian Tire because I just needed something to get me to and from work once in a while and it's only a 15 minute ride.

I brought it back and they said there is no returns or exchanges on bikes so they are fixing it up for me. Hopefully it lasts after that.
  • I brought it back and they said there is no returns or exchanges on bikes so they are fixing it up for me. Hopefully it lasts after that.

Well that's some buuuuullshit.

How this end up Tim?