This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Firefox Private Browsing

Hi all,

Recently, Mozilla launched Firefox 42, and I've been toying with their Private Browsing feature these last few days. The thing that has me very interested about this mode is tracking protection.

With tracking protection, some pages on the web actually load and respond significantly faster because no to little third party tracking is being activated. For example, Wiki sites benefit heavily from this.

After watching an episode of The Walking Dead, I often go to the wiki site to read up on it and see if I missed any references or Easter eggs or what not. Typically, the page loads, then jugs along, and often has some ad script crash, forcing me to End Task and restart my browser regularly. Very, very annoying.

With Private Browsing and tracking protection, the site loads quickly and is responsive throughout, behaving as I'd expect any web page to. I've tested this with other wiki sites, and the same benefit occurs.

I've also noted less items found to be removed when I scan my system with Super Anti Spyware. I'm talking about hundreds of items that come up simply due to regular web browsing in a single week.

I'm so impressed with this, I've presently set Private Browsing as my default simply for a smoother net experience.

And for those interested, since Private Browsing doesn't save your searches or history, yes, you can surf your pr0n a little more secretly.

You can read more about Private Browsing and tracking protection here.

Comments

• Law212Law212 Centurion
    Cool. I read about it when Edge was on its way with windows 10 but I never used it. I may start since I've been in trouble with the GF for having redtube in my history.
    MSQGanner
  • Law212 said:

Cool. I read about it when Edge was on its way with windows 10 but I never used it. I may start since I've been in trouble with the GF for having redtube in my history.

I never knew what RedTube was before. Now I know.
    MSQGanner
  • So after using this for a week, did a Super Anti Spyware scan last night, and it found 6 things to remove. Normally there are 600 to 700.

These are mostly tracking cookies, I think, from useless ads.

Impressive.
  • I run both Ghostery and AdBlockPlus in FF. Some websites do actually become fundamentally useless when you run both of these because they're so restrictive, that websites that use widgets to display stuff don't even work. ahahahh