This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Kobo Vs. Kindle

OzziOzzi Centurion
Hey all, Im in the process of buying a Kindle, or Kobo I don't know anything about these tablets.

I'm just wondering what the difference is between the two. I'm going to be purchasing one for a christmas gift.

It's going to be used to replace the ipad, the GF has been using the ipad, and Kobo app a lot, but has been complaining about the backlight screen as it bugs her eyes.

Would it just make sense to buy a Kobo? or can the Kobo, and Kindle work together in a way? as i know she already has purchased some books from Kobo.

Comments

• MSQGannerMSQGanner Centurion
    edited November 2015
    E-Reader for E-Reader, Kindle has a slight edge with the hardware, as for the operating system it is pretty much on par. As for app vs app, i prefer kinda prefer Kobo when it comes to reading books. Didn't try the latest versions of those tablets though.
  • Kobo can rent books digitally from your public libraries website for free while Kindle can't. Kindle is a much better designed device though, the paper white especially.

That's about all I know.
  • ^^^
    That's all info from a year ago btw
  • I also forgot to mention that on Kindle, to buy a book, you need to go on their website while on Kobo, you can do it all from their app.
  • OzziOzzi Centurion
    So I bit the bullet, and got the kobo h20.
  • so much better than normal books. i dig my kindle
  • SintacsSintacs Centurion
    edited November 2015
    I know you've already made your decision, but I figured I'd just chime in with my 2 cents anyway.

I bought my girlfriend a Kindle Paperwhite for Christmas 2 years ago. It's pretty great, the screen is like looking at a white piece of paper with text. I also got her the magnetic cover for it that puts it to sleep when closed, and wakes it up when opened. From what I've seen of it, it's what I'd go with personally. I'm not a fan of the grey screens most other devices have, the white screen really makes a pleasant difference. She's loaded PDF's and whatnot onto it, she's bought a few books from Amazon, and has some she found on the net, everything works well. Only minor issue is depending on the PDF's, they can have very tiny text.
  • OzziOzzi Centurion
    I was very tempted to get the kindle, as we both use amazon quite a bit, but she has a kobo account already, and has spent a lot on that already. So i figured i should stick to that after researching, and finding out she cant get her kobo books on kindle.

Plus the H2O is water proof, and i know the mrs has the habit of bringing books and the ipad intol bath to read.
  • Afaik you can soft mod them and dl whatever. Calibre is what i use