This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Looking to get back into Consoles

I recognize a lot of the gamer tags from my old days back on the xbox canada forums..... nice to see some old friends are still handing around.

So anyway....for those who dont know me...Old guy here....wanting to get back into consoles....my 360 seems a little dated.. is the xbox one ITB bundle the way to go?

I play mostly shooters...enjoyed the COD hayday and Gears...etc Havent bought a game in a few years cause I went back to college in 2013...graduate in about a month so getting a console as a grad gift from the wife :)....Thoughts??? advice?? recommendations?? I am totally out of the loop now

Comments

• I recognize a lot of the gamer tags from my old days back on the xbox canada forums..... nice to see some old friends are still handing around.

So anyway....for those who dont know me...Old guy here....wanting to get back into consoles....my 360 seems a little dated.. is the xbox one ITB bundle the way to go?

I play mostly shooters...enjoyed the COD hayday and Gears...etc Havent bought a game in a few years cause I went back to college in 2013...graduate in about a month so getting a console as a grad gift from the wife :)....Thoughts??? advice?? recommendations?? I am totally out of the loop now

Dude, good to see you posting again and hope you're well!

For the current gen, I've moved back into PC gaming myself. If you're interested in Gears of War and Halo though, the Xbox One is obviously the way to go.

I'll let others who have the console speak about it.
  • I have a nice lenovo that I spec..ed out for college.....but missing the simplicity of the console gaming.I have been MMOing off and on during college for the past couple years...but getting tired of that
    Good to see you too... Is Switch Still haunting this place or does MS take up all his time now?
    I really have no idea what is out there?? and what is the best console to start with. I like the idea of the backward compatibility the MS just announced though
  • I have a nice lenovo that I spec..ed out for college.....but missing the simplicity of the console gaming.I have been MMOing off and on during college for the past couple years...but getting tired of that
    Good to see you too... Is Switch Still haunting this place or does MS take up all his time now?
    I really have no idea what is out there?? and what is the best console to start with. I like the idea of the backward compatibility the MS just announced though

Originally, I was thinking of going PlayStation 4, but when Mortal Kombat X was announced for PC as well I went there.

Now, with the Xbox One starting to support backwards compatibility and Kinect getting quietly shoved aside, should I pick up a console again it likely will be an Xbox One.

Again though, others who actually have the console are better to advise you.

And yup, @Rajio is still here!
  • Id check out what exclusives you prefer....cause the systems themselves are super similar
  • ya tough call......Do you need the 1TB console....or will the 500 GB console work. I wish they had a 1TB deal with the gears ultimate bundle.... but only seeing a 500 gb option.

My gut tells me this console will last me 5-6 years...so I probably need 1 TB.

I think I will go with the xbox one....just what variation now
  • It all depends on how many different games you regularly play. If you think that holding 20-25 (large sized) games is enough then a 250-500GB should be enough. If you intend to have lots of games D/L'd at one time then go for 1TB. If it helps AAA games are around 20GB each
    EchoGolfSierra
  • do a majority of games still seem to be coming out on disk.....so they can be deleted and reinstalled later if necessary? Can we finally legally swap out HD's on the Xbox?
  • MSQGanner said:

It all depends on how many different games you regularly play. If you think that holding 20-25 (large sized) games is enough then a 250-500GB should be enough. If you intend to have lots of games D/L'd at one time then go for 1TB. If it helps AAA games are around 20GB each

This is very false. I have the 500gb model and it's more than half full holding only 4 retail games, their patches and maybe two indie games. Many AAA games are 30-50GB now and that's before patches which can easily be 1-10gb each.
    EchoGolfSierra
  • so it will either be the 500 gb gears bundle ( $399 at BB) or the 1 TB fallout bundle ( $449 at BB) the add says they will basically give me $200 for my old 360 which isnt a bad deal can get the 1 TB model for the same price as the 500 gb and still buy a couple extra games. Anyone know if Best Buy or anyone will be coming out with better deals if I wait a week for the canada black friday deals?
  • I think the ad says UP TO $200 for your old console. I think the $200 only applies to One and PS4 trades.
    EchoGolfSierra
  • I think the ad says UP TO $200 for your old console. I think the $200 only applies to One and PS4 trades.

well you are just full of fun facts arent ya

I could be wrong but that's usually the way those deals work. $200 for an old 360 sounds like way too good a deal.

I could be wrong but that's usually the way those deals work. $200 for an old 360 sounds like way too good a deal.
    no you were right the 360 gets you 50 off the price of your new console and 15$ in trade in...lol

• RajioRajio Centurion
    EGS! good to see you again ,man. was wondering what became of you.
  • Not sure where exactly but with black Friday and cyber Monday around the corner a great deal can be had. (ms store, amazon, eBay, best buy, WalMart, the source.)

You'll want at least 2TB of space so if you have a good external HD get the cheaper 500GB console. If not get the 1TB console that should do till you can acquire more space.

I'd sell your system privately and for less than what you expect for it. Way too many used 360's out there and stores/pawn shops will give you next to nothing for them (especially games)
  • Rajio said:

EGS! good to see you again ,man. was wondering what became of you.

Hookers and crack man ...hookers and crack. Actually college just got a little intense, then I had a nasty scuba diving accident in cuba....long story short I geaduate in a month...and have time and desire to game again...so xbox one...here I come

• Add me if you like when you get your Xbox One. gt - Discopatrol
  • Add me if you like when you get your Xbox One. gt - Discopatrol

sure thing////wtf is up with blops3 the game lobby is empty?? Is the game a flop?

• Everyone knows that #PS4thewin is the way to go. #Xbone is for plebs who like shitty graphics. Might as well get a Wii U at that point. #LOLOLOLOLROFLCOPTERLMFAOSWAG
    the1npc
  • Pretty sure my Xbone is a 1GB mobel (have the Cod:AW one), and it ran out of space quick (though it was purchased as an upgrade to my Day one edition that ran out after installing like maybe 4 retail games). The good thing is you can plug external hard drives into it via USB, so the actual storage os the console is moot if you're willing to use an external. I'm currently using a 3TB (got it for a pretty good price on amazon) drive with my console and it's working pretty well. Definitely recommend looking into an external drive, games are getting pretty huge in size.
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    I would buy the cheapest Xbox One or PS4 you can buy and then get whatever 1-2TB external you can get your hands on. It'll likely end up cheaper that way.. but hey, maybe a good deal will come along on the Elite Xbox One and it's 1TB HDD. The 500GB one isn't enough if you want to have like 5-6 games at once and deal with the DLC and updates. I constantly have to delete games to fit new ones..
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    youre telling me each game is about 100 GB? that's insane? what is all that memory being used for?
  • Mine is the 1 TB model I have 2 XB1 games about 10 XB360 games on it Like AC2 and 2 of the Gears games...R6V2 then about 6 XBL games....and I am at 19% full. so when I graduate and clear my 1TB backup hd I figure I will be ok for a while.
  • Law212 said:

youre telling me each game is about 100 GB? that's insane? what is all that memory being used for?

Diabeetus.
  • Law212 said:

25-50gb for me so far.
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    Yeah, game is like 50gb or what have you, then the patches, then if it's something like BF4 with the map packs that's more GB's.. I dunno.. guess I'm exagerrating but I feel like I have 5 full retail games and a smattering of 'arcade' games and apps and I have to get rid of something and a half everytime I want to throw another game on.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    Hmm if I get a system I guess I gotta buy an external for it too. I remember trying to manage my dlc on xbox 360 with just a 20 GB HDD
  • you can get internal ones too
  • can I pop my 200 gb internal from my 360 into it?
  • its laptop hard drives only afaik. not sure what size though im still using thr stock one