This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Batman vs. Superman (SPOILERS)

One Easter Egg I actually caught while watching the movie:

"When Lex Luthor is imprisoned, his prison uniform reveals his prisoner number to be 16-TK421, which is an oddly out of place reference to Star Wars. In Star Wars, TK421 is the number allocated to one of the Stormtroopers that Luke and Han disguise themselves as – a character who has grown his own cult status among fans since. It’s a nice little nod, but it’s weird to see a DC affiliated film making any reference to the competition."

Comments

• @Law212 so the messy parts of the movie are pretty obvious.

All of Bruce's "nightmare" sequences were incredibly unnecessary to the overall plot. Like the initial opening sequence with retelling The Death of Bruce's Parents(did we really need to see this again) was okay, with the exception of Thomas Wayne trying to throw a punch(which goes against his foundation of a character) and they "symbolism" of Bats lifting Bruce up in the cave.

Again the nightmare sequence where Superman has "taken" over the world(More likely it was Darkseid using Superman, hence the GIANT OMEGA SYMBOL) was so random and out of place. I know this was to show what Bruce initial fears of Kent could/would do, to me it seemed like a time wasted space. Granted seeing Parademons was incredibly awesome.

My other issue with this movie, is Lex Luthor knows both identities of Bruce Wayne, Clarke Kent, Diana Prince, Barry Allen and Victor Stone(I wouldn't say it matters that Arthur Curry is known as Aquaman, he has no ties to protect anyone above the ocean)
    I think it's kinda of insane that he would actually know all these heroes identities, without an explanation of any sort. It's even revealed Luthor has been egging Bruce on FOR MONTHS. I know in the current comics Lex figures out Bruce Wayne is Batman, but that's through proxy that the Crime Syndikate exposes to the world Dick Grayson as Nightwing. Luthor did his homework from that.

I also wanted that AHA moment where Clarke figures out Bruce Wayne is Batman through is earpeice. I also wanted a proper moment of all three properly meeting afterwards, instead of Clarke "Dying"

See had the trimmed those Nightmare sequences out, this scene(https://www.inverse.com/article/13424-steppenwolf-cameo-in-batman-v-superman-fixes-major-lex-luthor-plothole)(this is Steppenwolf a Newgod who works for Darkseid) which makes the ending confrontation between Batman and Luthor make 100 percent for sense should and could have been in it. I have a feeling the extra 30 minutes might possibly make this movie make sense from a Narrative standpoit
  • Mods - Please delete my duplicate thread. Thanks.
  • One Easter Egg I actually caught while watching the movie:

"When Lex Luthor is imprisoned, his prison uniform reveals his prisoner number to be 16-TK421, which is an oddly out of place reference to Star Wars. In Star Wars, TK421 is the number allocated to one of the Stormtroopers that Luke and Han disguise themselves as – a character who has grown his own cult status among fans since. It’s a nice little nod, but it’s weird to see a DC affiliated film making any reference to the competition."
  • I totally agree that the nightmare sequences were unnecessary. What was going on with the Flash trying to contact Bruce? Was that real or a nightmare? I couldn't understand what he was saying.
  • ReclaimerM3GTRReclaimerM3GTR Centurion
    edited March 2016
    It's either a part of the dream, or Flash traveled back in time to warn Bruce about the future. My guess here, is with Superman "dead" one of Darksieds minions(either Gordon Glorious Godfree or Granny Goodness) manipulate a "resurrected" Superman into being a slave for Darkseid. This is what's probably gonna be the cause of Batman and Wonder Woman uniting the other Justice Leaguers. They will probally use Lois(as the key) to break Superman free of from Darksied, defeat oh let's say Steppenwolf(maybe the Furies(that's supposed to be Furys, opposed to Furries)) before Darksied appears on takes on the League as a whole minus one Green Lantern.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    The movie definitely wanst a mess at all. I don't get how you say that. Also, this isn't the comics, so Bruce's dad throwing a punch isn't out of character at all. He was trying to protect his family knowing that the guy holding a gun to them was definitely going to use it.

Also the flash wasn't a dream, it was flash using the speedforce to warn bruce. He was saying "you were right about him, you always were..... Find the suit. "

So I also think that the dream bruce had wasn't a dream, but a possible future that happened.

Lex knowing identities isn't out of nowhere..... He saw superman show up, then zod so he went looking to see if there were more like him.... and he knows there are that's why he found a way to send a message out to find more , which is why he says he already rung the bell and more are coming.

So hes been tracking down people with powers. He found Diana, he found aqua man and cyborg and flash so far.

Hes a smart guy with all kinds of technology at his disposal. Finding out batman 's identity wont be hard for him and everyone on earth could figure out superman is clark....

He pitted them against each other for one of two outcomes. That superman would show hes not all good because he would have killed batman/bruce wayne, or B : to show that Superman wasn't a god and a man could beat him.

Lex is jealous of superman's power and it shows from a few lines he says in the movies.

I don't know why you're comparing current comics? That has nothing to do with this movie.

Diana didn't need to meet superman..... they had a huge battle side by side and she had a ton of respect for him from that and it showed. I think that last battle was incredible and was a great homage to the death of superman.

I don't see what you're calling a mess. I think you're making too many comparisons to the comics and that's where you will go wrong with this movie.
    SintacsRumGeoff
  • I don't know why anyone was expecting a perfect plot from this movie. What superhero movie that has come out in the last 25 years had had anything better than a decent story?

It was mindless fun with a bunch of Easter eggs for the hardcore fans and that's all it really needed to be. I really enjoyed it.
  • Yeah people who are comparing it to the comics are missing the point. This was Zach Snyders take on all of these superheroes so it doesn't need to follow any of the comics in any way.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    I thought it had a good plot, and it handled having multiple characters very well.
  • Yeah as Zach Snyder did a good job with poor Jimmy Olsen

• I guess he didn't need a Jimmy Olsen in the universe he is building
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    No, why would you? I liked that they brought Kevin Costner back for that one scene.
  • Law212 said:

No, why would you? I liked that they brought Kevin Costner back for that one scene.

There's a scene that was pointless and made no sense
  • One thing this movie needed more of was Wonder Woman, the moment she showed up in costume and fought was amazing. I was worried she wasn't gonna use the Lasso
  • Law212Law212 Centurion

Law212 said:

No, it was a character development scene. It was pretty awesome. Some might say it took away from putting in another action scene or whatnot , but whats great about this movie and man of steel were the small character development scenes that are subtle but powerful. I thought that scene was great.

I also don't get how you found it made no sense.... were you watching the movie ? or were you only looking for the bang boom pow scenes?
    Sintacs
  • Law212Law212 Centurion

One thing this movie needed more of was Wonder Woman, the moment she showed up in costume and fought was amazing. I was worried she wasn't gonna use the Lasso

Yes and no. The movie did a great job of not having too much WW but using her very very effectively when she was on screen.
  • Law212 said:

Law212 said:

No, it was a character development scene. It was pretty awesome. Some might say it took away from putting in another action scene or whatnot , but whats great about this movie and man of steel were the small character development scenes that are subtle but powerful. I thought that scene was great.

I also don't get how you found it made no sense.... were you watching the movie ? or were you only looking for the bang boom pow scenes?
    Tell me how Supes someone in the middle of the artic with no explantion talks to his father who's been dead since his teenage years, besides the fact he's crazy.

Don't get me wrong, whats Pa Kent says is perfect for the moment, besides he's crazy. It's not like in MoS where it's a device made to answer his questions
  • I'm not in it for the action, I personally hate that their first on screen movie was supposed to be a Gladiator match instead of being more World's Finest.

I can't stand anything that takes inspiration from Frank Millers work on Batman
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    Clark isn't talking to his dead dad. He's thinking about what advice his dad would have given him. ANd supes was up out there just to be alone and think. That's all it was. I think you took that way too literal....

Well you're in the minority with not liking Frank Miller's take. I always hated batman in the comics because I thought he was an idiot for not killing. His reasoning is very flawed. IN the movies batman has always killed people.

I don't know what your World's finest comparison is about. but As for a gladiator match, that's how superman and wonderwoman fight. They are straight brawlers. Batman is more cunning and that showed in his first fight against superman. He needed tricks to win and he did an awesome job, though when it came to saving Martha he just straight charged in bashing heads and that was amazing.
    Sintacs
  • SintacsSintacs Centurion
    I just got back from it and loved it. I didn't find the glimpse of the future from The Flash to be out of place at all, it helped convince Bruce of what Supes is capable of, and helped tie in the end with letting us know Darkseid is on his way.

I'm still not a fan of the casting, but I feel most characters were written well enough that I could look past who was playing them. I still don't like Ben Affleck at all (though he did a way better job than I could have ever expected out of him), I still hate Jesse Eisenberg, and I feel that Gal Gadot was too skinny to be Wonder Woman. I'd love to see Karl Urban play Batman, and Katee Sackhoff as Wonder Woman.

I did really like the nod to the death of (I'm assuming) Jason Todd at the hands of The Joker, just something I didn't see anybody here mention.

Overall, I can't wait to see what's next.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    I think the cast is great. Katee would not be a good WW at all.... wow talk about bad casting ....

I also didn't notice any nod to joker killing Jason.... When was that mentioned. I did think it hinted that Robin went bad instead.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    I thought Gal, did a great job. I loved her since seeing her in fast and furious. I thought she would be too skinny as well, but when she showed up in her WW battle gear, she had me convinced that she was right for the job. Especially seeing her in action. She looked very capable.
    The mangled Robin outfit with something like "HAHAHAHA JOKES ON YOU BATMAN" written in green on it. I know the movies are something separate from the comics, but it kind of goes back to Todd being "killed" by The Joker, I can only assume he is still perceived as being dead as I didn't notice anything to do with The Red Hood. I also don't think Gal did a bad job, she was pretty good, but she looks like a supermodel in a Wonder Woman suit, not like what I would actually think of when thinking Wonder Woman or an Amazon, though I suppose you don't need to look all that strong when you have divine blood flowing through your veins.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    I get why you'd see that with the Robin suit, though that's been speculation since the trailers. Though I think that's too obvious and in the movie, there is reference to him turning bad , not to him dying. Shots of Joker also has what look like bullet marks on his shoulders in the same spot that the Robin suit has them.
    Yeah, I saw some of those theories could be a neat twist on things. I also saw somebody mention Bruce visiting Dick Grayson's headstone (I don't recall seeing this), so the suit could have belonged to him as well, possibly meaning a different Robin tied in this version of the DC universe. Will be interesting to see if they do tie in Suicide Squad, or if it'll be it's own thing.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    well ben Affleck is in sujicide squad so its definitely tied in.
    Ooh, I didn't know that. Glad that more DC movies are finally coming round, definitely more of a DC fan than Marvel, though I did like the Marvel heroes a little more growing up (though Batman was always #1).
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    Another deleted scene