This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

The best thing that could happen to DCEU happened

http://heroichollywood.com/jon-berg-geoff-johns-co-run-dc-films/

Geoff Johns is part overseer of the entire DCEU. Considering what he's wrote for DC in the past. This is very good

Comments

• someone has to explain to me...how was DC horribly off track...what am I missing. The Xmen movies are good...as are the man of steel...Ben makes a decent Batman ( which was almost an impossible role to fill)
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    Its not . imo they are better than most marvel movies. I think if they try to make them more marvel like they will ruin them.
  • @EchoGolfSierra

X-Men is Marvel

i haven't seen BvS yet, but the reviews have not been flattering (both critically and from fans)

Civil War crushed it at the worldwide box office and i think Deadpool outperformed it too domestically, so that clearly had DC worried
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    Right but mass audiences want flash and little substance tgats exactly what marvel gives u which is fine but i always feel dc has a bit more to thwir movies.

I couldnt watch deadpool again. Its just not that good. But it has dumb humour and action so people love it.

Things that appeal most to mass audiences are stripped of anything resembling depth and leave in all the flash
  • well Civil war will crush everything... ( I think CW will crush Star wars) it is the best super here movie made yet! But look at the ensemble cast...no shocker there. BvS was a good movie...I will see it again and I will buy it! No it isnt the avengers....but I would put in on par with the first couple ironman movies.

BvS made around 850+Million USD that isnt bad. But considering the last three batman movies were probably the best superhero movies upto that point and definitely raise the bar for Marvel to shoot for....I think DC is doing pretty good!
  • oh and thanks @IgnitionCORE I get confused over who own what....Spidey was Marvel but couldnt be in the avengers movies...but now can be in A Capt America movie??? There is talk about Wolverine being in Infinity Wars but others say that is impossible because his rights are owned someplace else. Ya need a movie program to get this shit straight! :)
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    Ya it sucks that xmen cant be in anything else.
  • someone needs to create a Wiki of the Marvel and DC universe with possible crossovers and ownership issues explained!
  • IgnitionCOREIgnitionCORE Centurion
    edited May 2016
    Sony and Marvel reached an agreement recently where Spider-Man can be used in each other's movies, but Sony won't profit when he's used by Marvel and Marvel won't profit when he's used by Sony

Sony still owns his standalone rights, but it frees him up to do cameos in movies like the Avengers or Civil War

Fox has the rights to X-Men, Deadpool and Fantastic Four, but there are weird loopholes

http://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/how-6-marvel-superheroes-came-to-be-owned-by-other-studios.html/?a=viewall

• Law212Law212 Centurion
    I wish Dredd did better in theatres. IT was rated R and far better than Deadpool.
  • In my opinion it seems like most made their mind up before they saw Batman vs. Superman based mostly off the fact that Affleck was Batman. I went into it hoping to be entertained and I was. No sense bitching and moaning over the fact that what happened in issue #213 (anybody?) wasn't done moment for moment in the movie. This was Synder's vision.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    No idea what issue 213 is. And I think you're right about people making up their mind before seeing it.
  • agreed....I was shocked at how good Ben did in the role....huge shoe to fill and he pulled it off for the most part
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    I think he was better than Bale was.
    EchoGolfSierra
  • Law212 said:

No idea what issue 213 is. And I think you're right about people making up their mind before seeing it.

Looks like I got my Simpsons jokes mixed up but here is the basis of my comment:

Juxtapose
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    Oh ok I thought you were actually referencing something that happened in a comic issue. Yeah I agree that people get all worked up because something isn't exactly like in the comic. Most of what batman and superman don't do in the comics are the reasons I find batman and superman comics so freaking boring and stupid. Though the new 52 reboot made supes a bit better.
  • You guys are missing the point. With Johns as one of the guys directly overlooking DCEU is good. Also Geoff Johns is responsible for creating some of the best story lines across DC in the last decade.

You can bitch all you want about Marvel movies having more flash than substance. But the thing is, there making their movies to appeal to the audience that read comics and those who don't. Marvel movies have been generally well received by both groups. DC attempts outside of Batman, have been crap or mixed at best.

The real kicker is, DC's Animated Movies, cartoons and live action tv shows have blown anything Marvel out of the water
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    no, we didn't miss the point. Someone asked why DC movies would need to change. I don't think they do. I don't know who Johns is , but I don't care. as long as DC movies keep being this good.

CD attempts haven't been crap. Reviews might not be that great, but it doesn't mean the movies aren't good. I have learned many times that reviews don't mean much.

While green lantern wasn't that great, it isn't any worse than the first two fantastic 4 movies.

Also marvel has some stinkers in their list too. Just because their latest movies are really good doesn't make us forget ghost rider, fantastic 4 or even spiderman 3.

I personally like the darker tone to DC movies. Even DC comics overall have a darker tone to them.
  • Law212 said:

Also marvel has some stinkers in their list too. Just because their latest movies are really good doesn't make us forget ghost rider, fantastic 4 or even spiderman 3.

Sony, Fox and Sony.

When I say Marvel movie movies, I mean Marvel movies proper. Not ones that other studios have the rights too.

DC comics in general being darker isn't true, both Marvel and DC have books that have been dark. Batman and Daredevil being the poster boys. Flash is pretty joyful character. Booster Gold and Ted Kord Blue Beetle, pretty funny characters together(Also they're making a Booster Gold movie.)

I like the fact that they made Wonder Woman very jaded. This is super intresting
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    Thats true dc has lighter characters but their main guyscarent. I like red hood and his story isnt very light at all.

Fan 4 and the reyt are marvel regardless. But so is blade and those first two were great
  • Who do you consider main DC characters? Yeah, but Jason Todd also got clubbed to death and brought back to life. Dick Grayson is very postive character that can been in some very dark books. Doesn't make him a dark character.

DC's character tend to have tragic backgrounds(mostly dead parents) opposed to Marvels.
  • I really want to see DC do a Titans, Birds of Prey and Deathstroke movie. Also a Suicide Squad vs Secret Six.
  • obviously you guys are way more hardcore....I just go to DC and marvel movies cause I love to escape for 2.5 hrs. I think they are both equally good at doing this. Maybe DC feels differently because they are percieved as #2.

I dont think either Marvel or DC target the comic book crowd specifically or their movies would bankrupt the studios. There has to be a broader appeal, ...just because the fan boys hate on something doesnt mean much to me. If you think on it I am the ideal target audience for all this stuff ( games movies pop culture) ....40-50 kids gone, debt gone, disposable income to blow and old enough not to care what anyone else likes or thinks. The kids will go see BvS regardless it is my demo that the studios seek out. :)
  • IgnitionCOREIgnitionCORE Centurion
    edited May 2016
    this topic is not about fanboy hate or bad reviews, it's about the bottom line

DC felt they needed to make a change because BvS didn't do nearly as well as they wanted and i'm fine with the change especially if the competition gives us better films
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    Wether marvel gives out better films is subjective. I personally dont think they do . thats why i worry about what kind of changes dc wants to make

• I hear what you are saying @IgnitionCORE and who am I to judge if they need a creative or executive change. I just question this... BvS made 850 million USD and hasnt hit video sales yet. If that isnt "doing well", then there might be a problem with expectations.
  • they probably projected more revenue than they got, but i agree that they likely set the bar very high

i guess they wanted to hit the $1 billion mark because that's where both Avengers movies ended up and seeing Civil War getting close prompted the changes

hopefully, they make the Justice League movie(s?) awesome
    EchoGolfSierra
  • MSQGannerMSQGanner Centurion
    I think the best thing that happened to DCEU was actually having them expanding the televisual and cinematic aspect instead of constantly sticking to Batman and Superman like they got us used to since, well, always, up to the early 2Ks.

Okay, Green Lantern was utter bull crap and Cat Women wasn't any better (although Halle Berry was sexy as hell in the title role) but it was refreshing to finally be presented with something else other than the usual 2 heroes.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    If man of steel and bvs are any indication then justice league will also be amazing
  • Law212 said:

If man of steel and bvs are any indication then justice league will also be amazing

Agreed