This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Boxing and MMA

OzziOzzi Centurion
Hey all, anyone around here box or practice any type of mixed martial arts?

I just recently got into Boxing, and im loving it.
My cousin trains out of London ON at a ufc gym and he's going to be coming over in a few weeks to train with me. I'm excited for that learn a few things from him.

Anyone have suggestions for Muay Thai? Like gear needed? Stuff like that.

I'm joining a gym in town that is geared towards boxing and Muay Thai.

Comments

• Law212Law212 Centurion
    I've taken almost everything. Jui jitsu, jeet kun do, boxing, muay thai, and MMA
    Mauy thai is great , but my favourite was MMA and Jeet kun do. I currently do muay thia and boxing now, but hope to take jkd again at some point.

for MT , you definitely need a mouth guard, a cock blocker and gloves and shin pads.
  • pay attention to your shins...or they will sit you on your ass for 6 months
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    Any recommendations on things to look for in a martial arts place? I'd like to get my son into something and I don't want it to be one of those crap places that just sells belts, basically.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    Dont go to a big name place that has a bunch of gyms everywhere. Try to find one that has a variety of classes that way you get more for your money.

If youre in mississauge kombat arts is one of the best.

Most places will let you try their gym for free for a day so ask about that.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    Oh and get him into either boxing, muay thai, brazilian jui jitsu , or wing chung or jeet kun do. Karate is not very practical .
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    I was thinking BJJ. Just for the exercise, stretching and confidence. He's only 3 yet.. so it'd probably be next year. Striking would, if he's into it, come later, I think.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    Oh 3? Then ya sign him up for no holds barred cage fighting in mexico
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    Put him up against a chicken. See how he fares. He's good at chasing squirrels although one stood it's ground once and It quickly passed through my mind that perhaps I shouldn't tell him to chase after wild animals. But if he can't take on a squirrel at 3... what good is he?
  • @Doo's if you're in Mississauga there is no better place especially for kids then Mississauga Elite. They separate the try-hards from the family really well and have basically the best instructors in the country outside of Tristar in Montreal.
  • Doos is a london boy and London use to have the best Taekwondo gym in north america....but I am out of the scene and just dont know anymore