This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

StarCraft II: Battle Chest

JuxtaposeJuxtapose Centurion
edited January 2 in General
Hey all,

As I mentioned a bit ago, I'm almost entirely through my game backlog for the first time in half a decade. Of course that means in the coming months I'll need a new game and I'm thinking that'll be StarCraft II: The Complete Trilogy. It's $59.99 US off of Battle.net now, but I know it goes on sale periodically.

Now, I know several of you have played through at least StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, and I'm curious about what you think of the game and if you'd recommend it? I will give the Starter Edition a whirl before I buy, but I'd love for your opinions.

I was a huge fan of Starcraft and Starcraft: Brood War back in the day, and loved Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos even more. I used to play 1v1 over Battle.net Classic all the time, though this time I suspect my focus will be more the Campaigns, skirmish against the AI, and maybe even Co-Op with my father if he gets the game down the road. Did I read right that StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void includes a new kind of Co-Op mode, and not just 2v2 against the AI in skirmish?

Also, Battle.net 2.0, is that accessed via in-game or from some kind of client? I see there's a Battle.net Desktop App that can be downloaded now, and the description makes it sound similar-ish to, say, the Steam client. Anyone use it and is that generally what it is?

Thanks!

Comments

• RajioRajio Centurion
    I enjoy the MP.

but halo wars is coming out later this year :)
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    the game is great and youd be able to play with me! battle net is what you run blizzard games from on pc.
  • JuxtaposeJuxtapose Centurion
    Rajio said:

I enjoy the MP.

but halo wars is coming out later this year :)

Aye, and I never said I was going to ignore Halo Wars 2, though it remains to be seen if my system can run it.

It's a 2017 release, is it not? You doing the Xbox One beta?
    Law212 said:

the game is great and youd be able to play with me! battle net is what you run blizzard games from on pc.

So do you have and use that Battle.net App to manage your games? I know how Battle.net Classic works from the classic Blizzard games, and that was accessed via in-game and not a client.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    ya i use it when i play diablo or star craft and had to use it for the overwatch beta. its a small app thats not very intrusive
    Law212 said:

ya i use it when i play diablo or star craft and had to use it for the overwatch beta. its a small app thats not very intrusive

Nice I'll give it a whirl when I try the Starter Edition then.
  • SintacsSintacs Centurion
    I'd also strongly recommend the Dawn of War games as well, Blizzard borrowed heavily from Warhammer 40k, so most of what they have in their games would be familiar (Terrans taken from Space Marines, Zerg from Tyranids, Protoss from Eldar). The first game would be most familiar as it has some base building and whatnot, but I loved DoW2 as it was more battle-focused, you'd train your units from one building, then get to fighting right away. The entire DoW series usually goes on sale for some pretty good prices during the big Steam sales, I think I got the first game and its expansions (3 of them), and the second game plus it's expansions (2) for around $20.

I kind of want to try out SC2 at some point, but DoW2 has really spoiled me by showing you really don't need the initial base building and management to have a good RTS game, and I really enjoy just getting out to the battlefield and getting my war on as soon as possible.
  • Question for Sintacs...or anyone that knows The old RTS Dune 2 and dune 2000 seemed to be cloned by Blizzard with there Orcs and humans and tides of darkness. Seriously anyone who has play these games they really are identical ( like they just kept the engine and swapped out the skins) ... are their any other RTS games that also cloned this game play?
    I don't know about that, but I do know the original Warcraft was supposed to be a Warhammer game, but something fell through and Blizzard made a few tweaks and changed the game to Warcraft.
  • I heard that too...Not sure if it was true but I heard Warhammer rejected it, wanted something different or some such. So Blizzard tweaked it and ended up making one of the all time most sucessful Brands in gaming....if that story is true....wow did Warhammer ever drop the ball on that one.
    Sintacs said:

I'd also strongly recommend the Dawn of War games as well, Blizzard borrowed heavily from Warhammer 40k, so most of what they have in their games would be familiar (Terrans taken from Space Marines, Zerg from Tyranids, Protoss from Eldar). The first game would be most familiar as it has some base building and whatnot, but I loved DoW2 as it was more battle-focused, you'd train your units from one building, then get to fighting right away. The entire DoW series usually goes on sale for some pretty good prices during the big Steam sales, I think I got the first game and its expansions (3 of them), and the second game plus it's expansions (2) for around $20.

I kind of want to try out SC2 at some point, but DoW2 has really spoiled me by showing you really don't need the initial base building and management to have a good RTS game, and I really enjoy just getting out to the battlefield and getting my war on as soon as possible.

I actually tried the Dawn of War II demo some years back and I wasn't too keen on it. A buddy of mine loves the series though!

Question for Sintacs...or anyone that knows The old RTS Dune 2 and dune 2000 seemed to be cloned by Blizzard with there Orcs and humans and tides of darkness. Seriously anyone who has play these games they really are identical ( like they just kept the engine and swapped out the skins) ... are their any other RTS games that also cloned this game play?

Dune 2 is pretty much credited as the grandfather of the RTS genre, just as Doom is for FPS.

Westwood then went on to do the Command and Conquer series, of course, and Blizzard made Warcraft: Orcs and Humans, which was a Dune 2 clone. Of course after that Blizzard started doing their own thing and now they're generally considered _the_ RTS company.
  • RajioRajio Centurion
    Sintacs said:

I don't know about that, but I do know the original Warcraft was supposed to be a Warhammer game, but something fell through and Blizzard made a few tweaks and changed the game to Warcraft.

Is that true? I mean the original warcraft was pretty simplistic for what could be a warhammer game. you were mostly building a town and that doesnt really seem to suit warhammer game mechanics much.
    @Rajio it was rumored for a long time and talked about by an ex Blizzard dev at one point confirming it. Blizzard wanted to make a Warhammer game, and were in talks with getting it done, but the deal fell through so Blizzard changed around some assets and made it into Warcraft. Blizzard wanted full control of the direction of the story and whatnot, but they couldn't have that with Warhammer. There was some better articles around that I'd read before, can only find some Kotaku stuff from years back talking about it now though:

How Warcraft Was Almost a Warhammer Game (and how That Saved WoW)

The Inside Story of the Making of Warcraft, Part 1
    EchoGolfSierra

• Gametrailers(RIP) Warcraft retrospective part uno
  • RajioRajio Centurion
    i dunno, they say its a rumor too.
    edited June 2016
    The info in the stuff I posted comes from an ex-Blizzard dev (Patrick Wyatt) that they interviewed.
    Does anyone know how often the Battle.net Store has sales? I know StarCraft II and it's expansions were on sale in early May last.
    Rajio said:

quarterly

Hmm. So possibly August then.
    I installed the Battle.net App and StarCraft II Starter Edition yesterday, and am enjoying it. The game looks great on my system! I'll likely purchase the full trilogy soon.

For anyone who wants to add me on Battle.net, I'm Juxtapose#1171 .
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    Ill add you and maybe we can play though I'm not too good
    Law212 said:

Ill add you and maybe we can play though I'm not too good

I'm a complete scrub, so that's fine. I just started playing and don't know the tech trees or any build orders yet since I'm in the Campaign.

Are we able to play before I upgrade? Which version(s) of the game do you have? "Wings of Liberty," "Heart of the Swarm," an/or "Legacy of the Void?"
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    I have the original SC 2 and the first expansion.
    Okay, so "Heart of the Swarm" is what we'd be playing then.
    Hey all,

Does anyone know if there's a way to share Replays from the game? I mean I know I can watch them without someone over Battle.net, but is there a way to send a Replay to them?

I bought the game for my father as well, and want to send him a Replay so he can see a better build order.

Also, @Rajio, you used to play the game. Did you ever pick up "Heart of the Swarm," or did you stick with "Wings of Liberty?"
  • RajioRajio Centurion
    I have all the installments.
    Rajio said:

I have all the installments.

Nice. What are your feelings on the balance between them? The official board is crapping all over "Legacy of the Void," saying it's really screwed up the game. Seems people think "Wings of Liberty" is the most balanced version.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    can u send me the replay too?
  • RajioRajio Centurion
    well keep in mind i just stick to multiplayer.

Each expansion brings a different balance between the units. You have to play each race a little differently. The new units for each race changes the balance of power and your tactics have to be different. What works in vanilla SCII won't work in wings of liberty for example. Most of that crying is people who can't adapt or recognize the need to. They want things to be added in the expansion without it 'breaking' what works for them. In short, they don't understand strategy and battlefield dynamics. they just understand rote playbooks and that is why they think things are 'broken' and complain infinitely.

Similar to how so many people complained about halo wars, with their complaints boiling down to "these things about it are not the same as starcraft" ... like no shit. change your approach and win.