This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Steam Controller

Was wondering if any of you tried a steam controller....either for pc play or to play with a steam link? when I feel like replaying a xbox 360 game that I have on steam I always seem to struggle with the controls using KB and mouse. So I was reading up and trying to decide between a steam controller or figuring out how to rig up a 360 controller

Comments

• SintacsSintacs Centurion
    edited July 2016
    If you have a wired 360 controller, they're plug-n-play. Wireless 360 controllers need a receiver. If you have Bluetooth capabilities with your computer, you could always grab one of the newer Xbox One controllers, or if you have an existing Xbox One controller, you can plug it into your PC via a micro USB cable and use it like a wired controller. I generally stick to 360/One controllers because I know that any game with controller support had them in-mind when it was implemented. You'll need to resync any Xbox One controllers that you use with a PC when using them with your Xbox One again though.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    xbox one controllers are plug and play. so are wired 360 controllers but you need a wireless dongle for 360 cobtrollers and another one for using xbone controllers wirelessly

id reccomend one of those controllers over a steam controller
    Juxtapose
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    also some games dont work properly with the xbone controller but will work normslly with the 360 controller
  • I tried plugging in my 360 controller with my 360 plug and play cable and it didn't recognize it. So I grabbed my Xbone controller and the cable that ca,e with my PS4 controller...and I plugged it in....so far it works great
  • MSQGannerMSQGanner Centurion
    Wait! You used a PS4 cable with an Xbone controller then plugged it in a PC? Is your PC connected to a Wii U? Lol
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    the charge cable wont work for the 360 controller , you need a wired 360 controller or wireless dongle.
  • MSQGanner said:

Wait! You used a PS4 cable with an Xbone controller then plugged it in a PC? Is your PC connected to a Wii U? Lol

Ya exactly like that....and if I turn slowly I can get AM talk radio on the titanium rod in my leg!

• EchoGolfSierraEchoGolfSierra Centurion
    edited July 2016
    Law212 said:

the charge cable wont work for the 360 controller , you need a wired 360 controller or wireless dongle.

lol didn't I say that.....well didn't I say something like that?? lol I want to hold off till September to get one of those special order xbone controllers....so this "splice job" ( see what I did there?) will let me quench my thirst for Bioshock Until September

• Law212Law212 Centurion
    you did but you tried it after I told you it wont work.... sheesh.
    I haven't played Infinite yet but man I loved the other 2 bioshock games.
    EchoGolfSierra
  • JuxtaposeJuxtapose Centurion
    Law212 said:

BioShock Infinite is a good game, but it doesn't feel much like BioShock to me. It's basically Call of Duty with Plasmids.

BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea was great though.
  • Law212 said:

I never said I was bright.....

• Juxtapose said:

Law212 said:

BioShock Infinite is a good game, but it doesn't feel much like BioShock to me. It's basically Call of Duty with Plasmids.

the world seemed really interesting and the art design was fantastic. The handymen were a huge letdown imo, big daddys were much more interesting and creepy
  • Looking forward to the remaster simply to see how incredible it will look. I got distracted from Infinite....hoping to finish it this time
    Law212 said:

also some games dont work properly with the xbone controller but will work normslly with the 360 controller

I haven't encountered this yet, and I pretty much always use an Xbone controller now if I'm using a controller. Probably very few games have issues with it.

grabbed my Xbone controller and the cable that ca,e with my PS4 controller...and I plugged it in....so far it works great

The PS4 controller cable is just a micro USB cable, same thing you'll generally use to charge cell phones and other things with nowadays, I usually have at least 5 of them lying around at all times (not that I ever need that many, they just tend to be included with everything).
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    few games for sure and usually older ones.
    i have issues with dead or alive 5 , marvel ultimate alliance and bloodrayne 1 and 2 when using the xbone controller. only doa 5 is new
    Ah, I don't have DOA5 for PC, too much invested in the Xbone DLC to want to get that one :(
    I don't think I've tried playing the Bloodrayne games with a controller.
    I like my Steam controller but the trackpad that replaces the right thumbstick needs getting used to and is not as effective on certain games
  • for the past 7-8 years I have been runing iphones/ipads as my mobile devices, which explains why I am not possible as familiar with the micro usb controller. Thinking about making a switch away from iphone but love my mini ipad... but that is thread entirely :)
  • MSQGanner said:

I like my Steam controller but the trackpad that replaces the right thumbstick needs getting used to and is not as effective on certain games

How accurate does it compared to a mouse? I really want to spend 20 mins with one just to see how it feels playing games
    edited July 2016
    It'll never be as accurate as a mouse due to the size of the trackpad, and average fingers point of contact being larger than the laser of your mouse. It is still manageable though on most games. And, since there are no marker point on the trackpad to let you know where you are pressing (unless you directly look at it) on it, it may feel clumsy, especially at first.

Other than that, i can't complain about the controller as it is comfortable in your hands, light weighted, and controls respond well to your actions. The only thing i wish it had is a (at least optional) right thumbstick.
  • JuxtaposeJuxtapose Centurion
    the1npc said:

Juxtapose said:

Law212 said:

the world seemed really interesting and the art design was fantastic. The handymen were a huge letdown imo, big daddys were much more interesting and creepy
    I found that the game had so many excellent ideas that were dumbed down or poorly executed for the release; and thus I see a lot of potential wasted.

Don't get me wrong, it is indeed a good game, but it could have been more.