This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Mini NES

Nintendo annouced a MINI NES with HDMI output and comes preloaded with about 30 games.
https://www.engadget.com/2016/07/14/nintendos-classic-mini-is-a-tiny-nes-with-30-games/

Balloon Fight, Bubble Bobble, Castlevania, Castlevania II: Simon's Quest, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., Double Dragon II: The Revenge, Dr. Mario, Excitebike, Final Fantasy, Galaga, Ghosts' N Ghoblins, Gradius, Ice Climber, Kid Icarus, Kirby's Adventure, Mario Bros., Mega Man 2, Metroid, Ninja Gaiden, Pac-Man, Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream, StarTropics, SUPER C, Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Bros. 3, Tecmo Bowl, The Legend of Zelda and Zelda II: The Adventure of Link.

That's a pretty solid list of great NES games, for 60 bones not to bad either. That being said, I wish Nintendo would get of their NES train. a SNES Mini would be so much better than this. Nintendo SNES games out match their NES counterpoints by a mile with the exception of Super Mario Bros 3

Comments

• RajioRajio Centurion
    people have been making shit like this out of raspberry pi's for a long time. what i'm surprised at here is that this is actually from Nintendo. This is a fun move. Even though people pirate on emulators, nothing beats playing with the original controllers the game was designed for.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    i got a retron to play classics on
    you can play nes. snes. genesis famicon and gamebow advanced games on it. you can even use genesis nes or snes conteollers on it.

• MSQGannerMSQGanner Centurion
    Although i haven't bought any retro consoles (yet) like the Atari one i gotta say that this is pretty tempting.
  • SintacsSintacs Centurion
    I got a GCW-Zero for retro gaming, can play GB/GBC, GBA, Game Gear, NES, SNES, Genesis/Sega CD, some DOS games, and some arcade stuff. You can play more than what I listed though, I think there's an Atari emulator among some other older stuff I don't care for too. It is a portable, though someday they may finally enable the HDMI out on it, and add the 360 controller support. Development on it has kind of died off a bit, but from my understanding there's a new dev team working on it now, so updates should be coming again eventually. Still a pretty awesome little handheld for retro gaming.

Tossed it between my Vita and 3DSXL for a size comparison
  • Rajio said:

people have been making shit like this out of raspberry pi's for a long time. what i'm surprised at here is that this is actually from Nintendo. This is a fun move. Even though people pirate on emulators, nothing beats playing with the original controllers the game was designed for.

Agreed and all for less then the price of a single current game.....sold!

• Sintacs said:

I got a GCW-Zero for retro gaming, can play GB/GBC, GBA, Game Gear, NES, SNES, Genesis/Sega CD, some DOS games, and some arcade stuff. You can play more than what I listed though, I think there's an Atari emulator among some other older stuff I don't care for too. It is a portable, though someday they may finally enable the HDMI out on it, and add the 360 controller support. Development on it has kind of died off a bit, but from my understanding there's a new dev team working on it now, so updates should be coming again eventually. Still a pretty awesome little handheld for retro gaming.

Oh that thing looks awesome, It would be perfect for playing old SNES and GBA games. I was looking at buying a Neo Geo X and hacking to run roms.
  • RajioRajio Centurion
    Sintacs said:

whats battery life on that like?
    edited July 2016
    @ReclaimerM3GTR it is pretty awesome, the only negative I'd really saw about it is it doesn't have a sleep/standby mode, so you either turn it off or deal with the buttons that may be pressed while in your bag/pocket. That's not a huge issue though, it only takes a second or two to boot up. I still want to get a Neo Geo X, always wanted some sort of Neo Geo system, but they've always been so expensive.
    edited July 2016
    @Rajio Honestly, I'm not really sure, pretty long, I rarely have to charge it, and most of the time it gets it's charge when I'm adding some ROMs to it from my PC. The FAQ on their site says 7-10 hours.
    I hate the fact that they removed the "cartridge blowing" options
    ReclaimerM3GTRthe1npc
  • If only a thing that every single person in the world owns called computers were a thing...
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    Sometimes you want to use the actual games. I have a few, but for the rest I just use emulators.
    Yeah but having those nice retro consoles (like that one, And Atari's) also look nice on your gaming shelf
  • WhorrorLoLzWhorrorLoLz Centurion
    edited July 2016
    Why would you wanna use the actual games? It's literally the same thing. Besides this thing has games pre-loaded onto it.
    MSQGanner said:

Yeah but having those nice retro consoles (like that one, And Atari's) also look nice on your gaming shelf

Do they though... I dunno, I like my "gaming shelf" quite a bit..

• I read today what I think is the best part....all these games will have game saves... imagine being able to save after each DK level I might actually finish the hardest arcade game ever
  • I read today what I think is the best part....all these games will have game saves... imagine being able to save after each DK level I might actually finish the hardest arcade game ever

That ain't retro bro. Don't be a casual.
    Sintacs
  • OzziOzzi Centurion
    edited July 2016
    So there's a release on the horizon for Nintendo, it's the NES Classic Edition basically it's a mini NES emulator with 30 games installed.
    Including:
    Balloon Fight™
    BUBBLE BOBBLE
    Castlevania™
    Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest™
    Donkey Kong™
    Donkey Kong Jr. ™
    DOUBLE DRAGON II: THE REVENGE
    Dr. Mario™
    Excitebike™
    FINAL FANTASY®
    Galaga™
    GHOSTS’N GOBLINS®
    GRADIUS™
    Ice Climber™
    Kid Icarus™
    Kirby’s Adventure™
    Mario Bros. ™
    MEGA MAN® 2
    Metroid™
    NINJA GAIDEN
    PAC-MAN™
    Punch-Out!! ™ Featuring Mr. Dream
    StarTropics™
    SUPER C™
    Super Mario Bros.™
    Super Mario Bros. ™ 2
    Super Mario Bros. ™ 3
    TECMO BOWL
    The Legend of Zelda™
    Zelda II: The Adventure of Link™

It's releasing November 11th it's retailing for 59.99 USD so probably around 79.99 CAD

http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/relive-past-glories-with-nintendos-ultimate-retro-gaming-experience
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    if it was actual nes hardware then maybe but sinxe i hace a retron 5 i wont buy this.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    for the price you can get an actual nes system
    Law212 said:

for the price you can get an actual nes system

Yeah but getting all those titles on cartridge will cost a lot more. So, for $60 it's a good deal
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    but you can emulate them for free.
  • OzziOzzi Centurion
    ahh shit i never saw this thread before
  • I think this a great deal and something I can see Nintendo doing with other consoles.
    I can even see Sony and MS doing it. They are cute and nostalgic. This one gives you 30 great games. In canada you will get it for the price of a single game....no fuss no muss. Plug and play and use the original controller and simple HDMI cabling.

I can see this being the hotest selling item this Christmas...I will be lined up to grab a couple on remembrance day.

When I think of all the crap games I have bought ( that were suppose to be fabulous) at least I know exactly what I get here....and I want to encourage more of this so I will vote with my money.
    Streaker1978Juxtapose