This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

World of Warcraft

OzziOzzi Centurion
edited August 2016 in General
Anyone around here still play this?
I just got back into it after a 3 or so year hiatus. Starting from the beginning again with a Warlock.

If anyone is up to do some quests one night let me know!
Tagged:

Comments

• SintacsSintacs Centurion
    I may give it a shot again when the next expansion comes out. I've always ended up really bored with it, never made it to the max level of any expansion because I generally just get bored and quit. The first time I quit was during "The Burning Crusade" and Nagrand was the absofuckinglutely WORST zone I've ever been to in an MMO, I've never encountered grindier quests anywhere else, and I've played A LOT of F2P Korean MMOs. Tried "Wrath of the Lich King" after that, quit again after a month, the new zones were alright, but I got pretty bored again pretty quick. I initially started as a Night Elf Rogue, but switched to a Human Warlock.
  • I think perhaps I've just been too cheap to play it. But I love Mmorpg's so
  • OzziOzzi Centurion
    Alariaria said:

I think perhaps I've just been too cheap to play it. But I love Mmorpg's so

Well they have a pretty decent deal with it. It's free to play to level 20. The give you a deal on the battle chest which includes all the current expansions for $10 and your get 30 days of game time as well.
    If you ever decide to take the plunge let me know and I can send you a refferel which gives us a level boost and some experience boost among some other stuff I beleive.
    I just recently did a refferel with the Mrs, and the leveling is stupid easy.
  • OzziOzzi Centurion

Legion is out in less than a month! Been trying to chip away at a few of my characters to get to 100, but i'm finding it hard to find the time.

• Hey all,

Resurrecting this zombie thread, as I've been thinking about giving World of Warcraft a whirl.

Playing Heroes of the Storm with various Warcraft Heroes has made me feel like visiting Azeroth again, something I have not done since Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne.

I've also never played an MMO before, so how easy is World of Warcraft to get into for a scrub to the genre? I was thinking of installing the Starter Edition in a few weeks.

• From what I've been hearing, they've been making it easier and easier to do and accomplish everything in the game. I started playing back during The Burning Crusade, played for 3 months then quit out of boredom before hitting the level cap. The "vanilla" quests and levelling was kind of on the boring side, which made it feel pretty grindy overall, and people kept telling me to stick it out till I got to the Outlands, that everything got more interesting there and everything would be better. Honestly, it didn't get a lot better, I did really like the look of the one zone (Zangarmarsh), but as soon as I got to Nagrand I wanted to kill myself. That fucking zone was everything I hated about the vanilla stuff amplified times ten. Hey, kill 50 of these things for this quest. Done? Ok, kill 100 of these things. Done? 150 this time, have fun grinding! I quit the game very soon after that, nothing really changed, and at the time, the end game was essentially a job you paid to show up at, since it involved getting into a guild, scheduling times of the week for raiding, then fighting a boss for 4 hours. No thanks. Did do a nice farewell event with a few people from my guild though, where we all made some new Gnome characters with pink hair, and dressed them all up in tuxedos and went on a journey.

I tried it out again when Wrath of the Lich King came out, and while the new zones were much better than the old in terms of a lot of the quests you could do, it just felt very boring overall, and didn't hold my attention at all. I was done in under a month this time.

I recently tried the "free" side of the game out again recently, as I do have some fond memories of certain aspects of the game, but I was immediately reminded of why I haven't been back, the game just feels very bland to me, especially after moving on in the MMO realm to the more action oriented hack-n-slash combat style stuff (Tera, Blade and Soul).

If you've played Dragon Age (the first one), you can expect the same sort of gameplay in WoW, you target an enemy, then auto-attack, and press keys for your spells, you don't need to aim anything really (at least you didn't outside of backstabs back when I was playing), so it's not really the most challenging game in the world to play, you're just throwing numbers at numbers while making sure your numbers are big than the enemies by getting better gear. This is why the game has drawn so many people to it, especially people that never really played games previously, because it's really simple and easy to play.

I'd say try it for free before pulling the trigger on buying it, after all, you need to buy the game plus the most recent expansion, and pay a subscription fee monthly if you can't farm up the gold in-game fast enough to pay for it. Currently you can play from level 1 to 20 for free, and should be enough to let you know if you'd like it. Without sugar coating, if you don't like what you do at level 1-20, you probably won't like the rest of the game, as its mostly just more of the same, just on a larger (not really a good thing) scale. The most fun I really had on the game was usually when messing around, there used to be a few silly things you could do that I found to be hilarious, but actually playing the game was always a bit of a chore for me.

My guild used to kill everybody in one of the auction houses with a bug of sorts fairly often, it was pretty hilarious:

I made all these Wyvern spawn:

This was my farewell thing:

Juxtapose
  • So I started playing the Starter Edition today, and I've put in about four hours I think. I created a female Undead Hunter (basically my own Sylvanas) and have been running around the Plague Lands doing solo Quests. I think I'm Level 7 or 8 now.

While I'm still early in, my impressions so far are average. It feels like I'm playing The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind with hints of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic thrown in for good measure.

Thus far the game does feel dated, overly simplistic, and full of FedEx quests (as your suggested @Sintacs). Considering the game is twelve years old and I'm Questing in what I believe is one of the game's original hubs from 2004, that makes sense I suppose.

I'm not having a bad time, but it's not hooking me yet either. I actually find the camera controls atrocious, and that's frustrated me a bit. Right now I could see myself snagging the game on the sale price of $9.99 that it's selling for, but I could not see myself buying a subscription for such generic gameplay.

I'm going to keep playing and see if things improve at all. I do want to see the Undercity since the ruins of the Capitol of Lordaeron always interested me, and I might want to see if I can visit Quel'Thalas since I always wanted to see that too (though as I understand it now, it's rebuilt and not a blighted land of the dead).

• @Juxtapose said:
    Thus far the game does feel dated, overly simplistic, and full of FedEx quests (as your suggested @Sintacs).

Welcome to WoW.

@Juxtapose said:
    Considering the game is twelve years old and I'm Questing in what I believe is one of the game's original hubs from 2004, that makes sense I suppose.

It's my understanding that with Cataclysm, they redid all the starting areas. The game really doesn't change in terms of open world quests much though, just increases the number of things you need to kill, the number of things you need to collect and deliver, and the distance you need to cover to do so.

@Juxtapose said:
    I'm not having a bad time, but it's not hooking me yet either.

I'd never say WoW is a bad game, despite me not liking it anymore. It's very mediocre, and can become boring very quickly, the combat isn't very engaging, the quests aren't engaging, the instances are hardly exciting, it's all just mediocre. Visually it doesn't offer anything now either, since like you said, it's 12 years old.

@Juxtapose said:
    I actually find the camera controls atrocious, and that's frustrated me a bit. Right now I could see myself snagging the game on the sale price of $9.99 that it's selling for, but I could not see myself buying a subscription for such generic gameplay.

That's something I never liked about it, but since its essentially click to target, and with auto-attacks being a thing, I can't really see it getting better ever without them completely overhauling everything, and at that point, they'd be better off just be making another game, be it WoW2 or something else. A lot of MMOs use this play style too, which is a shame, because there's been quite a few with some neat ideas, but I just haven't been able to get into any of em because of that. Pretty much the only ones I've been able to stick with lately are Tera and Blade and Soul (to a lesser extent, the combat feels a little clunkier than Tera), since the camera is fixed on the mouse (no need to hold a mouse mutton to move it around) and they play more like a proper action game.

@Juxtapose said:
    I'm going to keep playing and see if things improve at all. I do want to see the Undercity since the ruins of the Capitol of Lordaeron always interested me, and I might want to see if I can visit Quel'Thalas since I always wanted to see that too (though as I understand it now, it's rebuilt and not a blighted land of the dead).

Unless they've spiced it up since I played, I'm pretty sure it was just some blueish-stone ruins tinted green by some Fel-juice flowing in the area. I was also a pain in the ass to navigate (IIRC), so I never bothered spending time there. Generally used Orgrimmar on Horde side since it was laid out the best.

I mean, you really need to love Warcraft (in general) quite a bit to stick with it I think, though if you're a big fan of the Lore, it can be aq let down since so few of the quests have anything to do with it, so you may find you just skip over the flavor text when given a quest, and just mindlessly head out for the enemies you need to kill 20 of, or the 50 rocks you need to gather. Some of the instances started adding small custscenes, but it's kind of like playing a fighting game that only has a cutscene every few fights, with no real context, sure you'll have an idea of what may be happening, and there may be some cool things that happen, but overall that will just leave you asking for more out of the game, something it won't deliver on.

It really is a dinosaur at this point, and I honestly feel it doesn't have much to offer folks who are coming to it for the first time that will convince them to stick with it.

• I play, though I haven't logged on in a bit. Been playing some other stuff lately.

I am glad Jux that you are playing the starter, as once you get up to 20 you will know if you like it or not...and the $9.99 pack is pretty good...don't you get all the expansions up to the last one, not including Warlords of Draenor? What I do is keep an account open, and when I feel like playing, just buy a WoW time card...which you can pick up almost anywhere. They are $29.99 for 2 months time...which might be something to keep in the back of your mind.

• @Sintacs Yeah, what you're saying is a pretty thorough summary of my experience thus far. I played about another hour or so yesterday after posting.

What I'm enjoying the most so far are the few set pieces I've seen (I'm in Brill now and can see the Undercity in the distance), otherwise it's been extremely, well, mediocre. Not awful and I do still want to play to see more of the world, but nothing I'd cry for if I couldn't play anymore. I am surprised with how empty the world seems to be, outside of the odd random new players running around.

I picked up two professions last night, leathercrafting and skinning, and have no clue how to use them. I'm sure I'll figure it out as time goes on. I'm also Level 9 now, I think.

I still intend to visit the Undercity (a Quest I have will take me there it seems) and I will still go to Quel'Thalas at some point. I also need to go to Ogrimar to claim a gift, and I need to figure out how to get there. I assume one of the Goblin Zeppelins just outside of Brill will do so.

I do find the lack of overall lore disappointing though, as for me that would be a huge point to exploring an open world game with such history and flavour as the Warcraft franchise.

@VanishedNine Thanks! From what I understand, World of Warcraft and it's Starter Edition has all the content from vanilla to "Warlords of Draenor," only the new "Legion" content is locked (though the game opened with "Legion's" cinematic and it's the "Legion" menu screen). I read "Warlords of Draenor" was unlocked for all last Spring.

Even if I stop playing I'll keep my character(s) just in case; I don't think they get deleted. I'll also keep those time cards in mind!

Hey, does anyone know: the Action Bar. I added an item to slot three and want to blank the slot. How can I do that? I can swap something else to slot 3, but I want it empty.

Thanks!

• Another thing I noticed is when I open the Social menu, it doesn't display any of my Battle.net friends. I know for a fact a few were on yesterday, but it shows nothing, no Online or Offline friends.

I have no idea how to chat with other Battle.net friends outside (or even inside) the game as a result.

I'm assuming that's not normal.

• @Juxtapose said:
    I am surprised with how empty the world seems to be, outside of the odd random new players running around.

Could be a server selection issue, could be a sign of the direction the game is headed, I mean it is 12 years old and really starting to show it's age now.

@Juxtapose said:
    I picked up two professions last night, leathercrafting and skinning, and have no clue how to use them. I'm sure I'll figure it out as time goes on. I'm also Level 9 now, I think.

Skinning you'll do on specific corpses, generally animal sort of things like bears, wolves, and some large reptiles too I think like crocs. I think if you hover over the corpse with your mouse, you'll see it turn into a knife or something and you click it to skin, something like that, you may also need a skinning knife in your inventory, can't say for sure, it's been forever since I've done that, though skinning and leather crafting were my first two profs as well.

@Juxtapose said:
    I do find the lack of overall lore disappointing though, as for me that would be a huge point to exploring an open world game with such history and flavour as the Warcraft franchise.

There's more of it at higher levels, but like I mentioned, with there being none really early on, you tend to skip over things, and can start missing out on it later. I got to the point where I didn't even care about it later since it was just some fancy text before and after heading out to kill 30 enemies or whatever mundane task was assigned to it.

@Juxtapose said:
    @VanishedNine Thanks! From what I understand, World of Warcraft and it's Starter Edition has all the content from vanilla to "Warlords of Draenor," only the new "Legion" content is locked (though the game opened with "Legion's" cinematic and it's the "Legion" menu screen). I read "Warlords of Draenor" was unlocked for all last Spring.

AFAIK, you only need to buy the base game and the latest expansion to play, as all previous ones will be available for free.

@Juxtapose said:
    Even if I stop playing I'll keep my character(s) just in case; I don't think they get deleted. I'll also keep those time cards in mind!

They don't, even if your account is banned. Mine was hacked years ago (maybe a year or two after I stopped playing), I contacted support to get it back, they said everything was fixed, but a few months back when I hopped on to see if I'd want to play again with the 1-20 trial, it was still banned. Had to contact them again to get it, but everything was there, including the bot character on some random server I've never played on before. Their account security used to be absolutely terrible, I don't think I know a single person who used to play that didn't have their account compromised at some point. It seems to be better now with the authenticators and such though.

@Juxtapose said:
    Hey, does anyone know: the Action Bar. I added an item to slot three and want to blank the slot. How can I do that? I can swap something else to slot 3, but I want it empty.

IIRC you should just need to drag the skill out of the slot and it should free it up.

• IIRC you should just need to drag the skill out of the slot and it should free it up.

Thanks for the replies! Tried that, and it didn't work sadly.

• For chat Jux...it might be because you are a Starter Edition player that the social aspect is turned off

• @VanishedNine That's possible. I actually tried creating a general question Post in the official World of Warcraft New Player Help and Guides Forum, but my post never appears (oddly, I can reply to other's posts though). I'm not sure if that's a Starter Edition restriction for creating new Topics as well, but I've opened a ticket with Blizzard Entertainment just to see.

I've generally got the camera figured out now, which is good, and I'll need to wait to have my Social/Chat questions answered.

I still can't figure out how to remove something from the Action Bar though unless I replace it. But to blank something, can't figure it out. I suppose I should try Googling how to customize the Action Bar.

I also reached Level 11 now, so at Level 10 I could pick a Specialization. I thought it was kind of like Skills in Diablo III where you could have different things from different branches, but apparently it's only one Specialization at a time, and you can actually switch whenever out of combat. I guess so you can switch up based on a battle you're going into? I started by default with Beast Mastery, but now went to Marksmanship. Might switch back though, as I find having a Pet seems more advantageous.

• @VanishedNine said:
    For chat Jux...it might be because you are a Starter Edition player that the social aspect is turned off

I'd assume to prevent the folks spam botting for gold sellers from having free reign. Could potentially be level-locked too though, I've played several games where you can't chat till you hit level 15 or so.

@Juxtapose said:
    I also reached Level 11 now, so at Level 10 I could pick a Specialization. I thought it was kind of like Skills in Diablo III where you could have different things from different branches, but apparently it's only one Specialization at a time, and you can actually switch whenever out of combat. I guess so you can switch up based on a battle you're going into? I started by default with Beast Mastery, but now went to Marksmanship. Might switch back though, as I find having a Pet seems more advantageous.

I believe you can head into another tree a bit later in the game, but levelling you'll generally want to focus on one specifically, as you'd be too weak when spread thinly across multiple different things. Pets are definitely good to have though, I played a lot of Warlock, and having the Voidwalker for levelling was great.

• @Sintacs

Okay, I'll let you know when I hit Level 15 if anything changes with my Social tab.

Hmmm... perhaps I'm not understanding Specializations then. How do they Level versus Character Leveling? I'm assuming now the two are different things and independent of one another? If so, I'm assuming the active one is gaining experience and leveling up outside of your general character level?

• I think you just get points for them either every level or every few levels that you can dump into them. IIRC you can go into multiple trees, but you're generally better off specializing in one first, then going into others. It's been like 9 years since I really played the game though, so I could be wrong, or they could have changed things.

Juxtapose
  • JuxtaposeJuxtapose Centurion

Blizzard responded to my Support Ticket, and you guys where correct: Starter Edition members can not create new threads in forums. The Social features are also mostly disabled in-game as well.