This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Pokemon Go

ReclaimerM3GTRReclaimerM3GTR Centurion
edited August 2016 in General
Pokemon Go, is here("Officially"). How many of us have taken the dive? I tried it for a grand total of 10 mins. Not sure if I'll keep playing it.

MORE IMPORTANTLY, has anyone: stumbled on a dead body, hit my a car, been stabbed refused medical treatment until they caught a pokemon, been mugged or learned the metric system
Tagged:

Comments

• DoosDoos Centurion
    Part of me hopes so many people die from playing it. Like, so many people.

Another part of me doesn't want to hear about it at all and yet another part of me is trying to figure out how to invest in it.

I have no interest in playing it though.

Although it would be super fun to go catch stupid creatures with my kid. Yes it would BUT I have no interest in introducing pokemon to him.
    Sintacs
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    its completely stupid.
    Sintacs
  • JuxtaposeJuxtapose Centurion
    Law212 said:

its completely stupid.

And it's everywhere, including all over the news.

People here are playing it at work.
  • SintacsSintacs Centurion
    It's the bandwagon fad of the month, will die out in a month or two probably. I know so many people that are losing their shit over it that have never played a Pokémon game in the past, and have outright expressed their disinterest in Pokémon or straight up said they thought it was stupid. So these people in particular were either closet fans (unlikely) or just playing because it's the popular thing to do currently. I personally have no interest in playing it, if I want to catch Pokémon, I'll do it in the proper games.
  • RajioRajio Centurion
    eeeh I think you guys are being too harsh on the game, and the players.

I also think you're underestimating it. Its literally doing better than anything else ever has in the mobile world, both in terms of usage, and monetization. and it has done so ridiculously quickly too.

its not without its problems but its also a big deal and has already done enough that it will DEFINITELY impact the gaming landscape for the next few years. if you think those effects will be limited to mobile games or even to nintendo, you're missing the big picture. Like it or not, its a big deal. Everyone in gaming and in mobile apps is paying attention.

Hell even companies like twitter, instagram, snapchat etc are paying attention. those companies spend tens of millions engineering daily use, retention, stickyness, and monetizing. in under a week, Pokemon Go beat all of them. Its as big or bigger at some things than mega-large companies spending millions over years are at those same things.
    EchoGolfSierraJuxtapose
  • MSQGannerMSQGanner Centurion
    It's just a matter of time before we hear on the news that a guy (and his pokemons) died while being on the backseat of a self driving car trying to catch pikachu lol
  • I didn't know metric until Go.
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    I saw a bit of conspiracy theory saying that Pokemon go and the affiliated map provider (Google?) are using it to graph out the inside of houses and the like and now with that and snapchat and so on everyones faces and homes are all being collected for whatever nefarious purposes etc.

I love it.

I still hope so many people die from it. Because people are dumb and the dumb ones should die.
  • All I know is I personally have met more people playing it and hung out with friends for longer in the week I've been playing than the six months before.

I used to beg my friends to just come out and explore the city a bit with me and they never would until now.

Me, my younger brother, one of our childhood friends and our Dominos delivery guy all went out one night in a truck and explored a bunch of the city while playing. We went to a park near river that runs through town and found a ton of pokestops at 4 am. It's a shady part of town so we had to be sneaky af to try and get to them and after about 20 minutes of sneaking around avoiding any noise we hear found out that most of them were on the other side of the river. 20 minutes of sneaking back and plenty of possible drug addict encounters later and we were all disappointed but decided the laughs we had sneaking around were well worth the trip.

It's a crazy, maybe slightly dangerous, fun social game and I love it.
  • I am complete on the side of what Raj is saying... business wise this is a major evolution and quite possibly just saved Nintendo from announcing 2016 losses. And McDonalds move to partner with Nintendo and make every Mcdees a gym is ingenious. This is huge and smart businessmen/women are bustin their ass to get a piece of it.

Servers are crashing daily because everyone is doing it. Hell I even hacked in a couple days ago to give it a try because my nephews wanted to know about it. ( I am the cool gamer uncle). Everyone has a phone every kid knows what pokemon is. And finally, this is something that gets them outside but still on their devices.

No this is not hardcore gaming.... but it is fun and gets non-gamers and gamers introduced. Hopefully, gamers embrace that.

Candycrush, angry birds etc look like small time, insignificant games right now.

Imagine 5 years from now people walking around wearing google glasses playing VR games....Pokemon go will probably lead the way to that.

My 17 year old Jock nephew was up on the weekend visiting. No data plan in canada so saturday him and a buddy borrowed my old iphone and turned it into n roving hotspot and went out to catch some Canadian pokemon. Their generation seems to be the first that isnt ashamed of being a gamer...it isnt a dirty secret that they hide.
    Juxtapose
  • it's pretty crazy how CRAZY people have become playing this, but it doesn't interest me in the slightest
    EchoGolfSierra
  • I just went for a 2 and half hour walk with the guys the live in the suite below me, we ended up at a spot with 3 lures in close proximity. By the time we left, there was a good 30 people, all between the ages of 22 to about 30. It was one of the wildest things and everyone was talking and laughing. It was a pretty amazing sight
    EchoGolfSierra
    Like a flock of flamingos
    EchoGolfSierraLaw212
  • Doos said:

I saw a bit of conspiracy theory saying that Pokemon go and the affiliated map provider (Google?) are using it to graph out the inside of houses and the like and now with that and snapchat and so on everyones faces and homes are all being collected for whatever nefarious purposes etc.

I love it.

I still hope so many people die from it. Because people are dumb and the dumb ones should die.

My avatar moves around more in my house than I do
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    Well Tim, you've convinced me that it's cool. Because that's what the 80's were like except we just did that shit because there was nothing fun to do in the house.
    Juxtapose
  • RajioRajio Centurion
    Doos said:

Well Tim, you've convinced me that it's cool. Because that's what the 80's were like except we just did that shit because there was nothing fun to do in the house.

and we had bikes.
  • naw by the 80s I had a uniform, and an assault weapon. Early 70's was my bike time
  • RajioRajio Centurion
    Nintendo is now worth more than sony. not Playstation. Sony. Like the whole thing.
    Juxtapose
  • Rajio said:

Nintendo is now worth more than sony. not Playstation. Sony. Like the whole thing.

Isnt that insane...one of the largest companies in the largest entertainment industry...and they get surpassed overnight by a company that everyone had totally written off. And writefully so...Pokemon Go is that huge. That over night it gave ninetendo a do over for the past 5 years

Juxtapose

Their generation seems to be the first that isnt ashamed of being a gamer...it isnt a dirty secret that they hide.

Yes, in general, this is something I've noticed about millennials and Gen Z as well. I'm envious of that, actually.
    What? I never have been ashamed of being a gamer and i'm a gen x guy
    MSQGanner said:

What? I never have been ashamed of being a gamer and i'm a gen x guy

So am I, and there's definitely societal and social differences between being a gamer now and then.
  • RajioRajio Centurion
    i've had this conversation with jux before. i think gaming has never been an underground secret type thing and has been mainstream as fuck since the 70s. he disagrees.
  • I'd say video games have always been mainstream, specially since the days of NES, but I'd so say it's more socially acceptable for people to play games then it was. The gender divide is as equal as it's ever been. I know adults, teenagers and kids are all playing games
  • well firstly gaming in the 70's involved hanging out in dark dingy arcades. And anyone over the age of 15 wouldnt get caught dead in them. But even through the ninetendo sega wars period...video games were something kids did...no adults. it was presumed you would grow out of them. Even to this day ... I get a lot of raised eyebrows when someone asks me what I did all weekend and I say....oh well I spent it playing the new Doom game. Or Leveling up in Overwatch. In my entire extended family, I am the only adult gamer. Kids nieces and nephews think it is cool....the rest of my family just thinks I never grew up.....and my mother is literally ashamed of my hobby.

WOW/UO and online gaming has made it more mainstream certainly. It was like playing D&D there was certainly a stigma attached after a certain age. Anyone that played after highschool was seen as different.

Raj and I were laughing on twitter last night....I hunt Pokemon after dark...cause I am not gonna walk around in broad daylight doing it....
    Around here arcades always been a popular place to hang out and all type of people went these said arcades. Old, young, jerks, jocks, nerds, girls (although early on girls watched more than they played games), boys, Whorror, it didn't matter. Back in my day, the arcade was the place to be
    Rajio said:

i've had this conversation with jux before. i think gaming has never been an underground secret type thing and has been mainstream as fuck since the 70s. he disagrees.

We've had different experiences then, as I've mentioned before. Sure, gaming was around and popular in the 80's and up, consoles, arcades, and such wouldn't have existed otherwise, but there was absolutely and without a doubt a stigma attached to it for our generation and older.

It might have been "mainstream," as you call it, but it was not socially "cool."

@EchoGolfSierra summed it up pretty decently above. If you were a hardcore gamer back then, you were less socially accepted in many respects. Heck, I remember about half a decade ago when a cute waitress asked my buddy what he was going to do that weekend, and he replied with he was going to go home and play some video games. Her face just dropped and interest was immediately gone.

Wouldn't have been that way if he said he was going to go home and watch movies, or TV shows, heck, probably wouldn't have been that way even if he said he was going to spend some quiet time reading.

Stigma. Great way to describe it, @EchoGolfSierra .
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    I've never had any sort of disdain towards my gaming habits from anyone except people my parents age or older. I'm 35, they're in their late 50's.

Aside from that gaming has totally been accepted by all of my school yard chums and even the jocks and whatnot were totally into video games too for the most part.

Oh, and chicks will still totally judge you for sitting around playing video games all the time unless they too play video games. Which is, I'd guess, more common these days.
    HarmonicTorture
    Doos said:

I've never had any sort of disdain towards my gaming habits from anyone except people my parents age or older. I'm 35, they're in their late 50's.

Aside from that gaming has totally been accepted by all of my school yard chums and even the jocks and whatnot were totally into video games too for the most part.

Oh, and chicks will still totally judge you for sitting around playing video games all the time unless they too play video games. Which is, I'd guess, more common these days.

Yeah, we're the same age and I totally had disdain, me and my friends. That's why I was so surprised with Starcraft, which for some reason turned out to be a really big game for my high school. Everyone was playing it (males), even the guys who used to rip on us for gaming. That blew my mind.

And absolutely regarding your last paragraph.