This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Ghostbusters? what is all this buzz about??

I feel like I am missing something here. I am reading bits and pieces and quotes about hate and racism and misogyny but I cant seem to find what the original event was that offended so many people...can someone please explain it to me?

Comments

• Law212Law212 Centurion
    more of making nothing into something
  • Is it??? I dont know cause I can't figure out what was the initial offensive event...or if there were subsequent events afterwards.
  • RajioRajio Centurion
    Some crybabies were crying like babies. In addition they were claiming that if they cried that other people would call them babies. It turns out that non-crybabies checked in on things and there was nothing to cry about and everything is fine.
  • RajioRajio Centurion
    oh the racism thing you read...maybe that was RE the twitter bullshit? one of the stars of the movie got an avalanche of racism on twitter and instead of ignoring or blocking it like people commonly do she decided to retweet a bunch of it so everyone can see what she had to deal with (and what many people deal with). she's in the ghostbusters movie but those bullshit tweets werent relevant to teh movie. many many people get that sort of bullshit treatment even without staring in a movie. i myself have received death threats, racism, etc with nothing being done about it.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    well from what i saw people are being really hateful towards the black cast member. i thought you meant the hate on the movie about the female cast.

but like this anonymous internet age people will spew hate and prejudice at anything.

these people who spend all this time online hating only get worse because they dont know how to actually interact with people. they take too much time away from reality every day and get engrossed in the online way of interacting .
    Juxtapose
  • ya I was referring to the twitter buzz...ok so it wasnt related to the Ghostbusters....it was just general racist hate. Now I do say hate needs to get wiped from twitter. Post some racist shit... or death threats.... first offense 1 month ip ban second offense lifetime ban. I know hard to enforce. But trolling is one thing...racism and death threats have no place anywhere....
  • I have no desire toi see the movie...I didnt think the first one was the cultural phenomenon that everyone else seemed to. I remember seeing it late that summer after all the hype and thinking...."really is that it"?? I havent seen anything that made me think this would be that much better. Maybe on netflix if I am bored some night and cant sleep.
  • RajioRajio Centurion
    yeah that twitter buzz was unfortunately very common. what lesley did was make it public and shine a light on it. its what a lot of people have to deal with constantly though.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    its scary how people act when they kbow no one can find out who they are
    Rajio
  • JuxtaposeJuxtapose Centurion
    Law212 said:

Also quite sad at the same time.
  • Law212 said:

Fuck that what a load of twat spittle....no one actually behaves that way you useless piece of.......

Oh errr ya sorry...I see your point!

Sorry ya have to deal with it to Raj or anyone else that faces hate daily. I dont understand it and cant explain it. It just needs to stop

• MSQGannerMSQGanner Centurion
    It's not sad, everyday i search my fridge trying to find out who i am yet i still don't have a clue about it...
    Rajio
    MSQGanner said:

It's not sad, everyday i search my fridge trying to find out who i am yet i still don't have a clue about it...

Are you screaming at people while searching through your fridge?

Generally, I find much of the internet a sad place these days; typically public forums. There's one guy on the Mortal Kombat X Steam forum who has compared the lack of the additional content to actual terrorism and murder. While he's clearly an idiot, I still find it sad.

But even beyond forums, there's so many news sites that are irresponsible on their reporting, click bait articles, etc. I honestly find the internet such a mess.

It all does make me appreciate our little corner of civility here all the more (except when Hydra tries to ruin it all with their of cheese cake acknowledgement).
  • you mean cheesecake propaganda..... easy your redskull is showing there.
    Juxtapose
  • MSQGannerMSQGanner Centurion
    Juxtapose said:

MSQGanner said:

Are you screaming at people while searching through your fridge?

Generally, I find much of the internet a sad place these days; typically public forums. There's one guy on the Mortal Kombat X Steam forum who has compared the lack of the additional content to actual terrorism and murder. While he's clearly an idiot, I still find it sad.

But even beyond forums, there's so many news sites that are irresponsible on their reporting, click bait articles, etc. I honestly find the internet such a mess.

It all does make me appreciate our little corner of civility here all the more (except when Hydra tries to ruin it all with their of cheese cake acknowledgement).
    ah ok, yeah i get what you mean. I personally find that individually, usually, people moderately smart, but collectively (and even more so anonymously) people become dumber than rocks...

And on internet it seems even worst 'cause most people think they can say and do anything without consequences... Not to mention that for many it hard to accept that not everyone will agree to their views which results in attempts of control over freedom of choice. Whether it'd be as a defensive mechanism or means of empowerment of our own little safety bubble. Basically, people are weird... Except for me. I'm cool! :p

• RajioRajio Centurion
    guys. its not anonymity. plenty of people are hateful jerks even with their name visible. you'd think its an anonymity thing on twitter but no. So many people are hateful and dont care if you know who they are.
    Rajio said:

guys. its not anonymity. plenty of people are hateful jerks even with their name visible. you'd think its an anonymity thing on twitter but no. So many people are hateful and dont care if you know who they are.

Absolutely, however anonymity does empower people who would think twice in the real world to be that jerk due to the safety net it provides.

I'm sure we all know people who are seemingly good folk in real life, but can be real jerks online. At least I've met people like this.
  • I hear you Raj... I left FB for a year just recently returning to follow family after witnessing long time American friends and some Canadian family turn into social media hate spewing machines.

My 75 year old mother and her cronies are raised to hate and fear anyone different...and it hurts to watch relatively intelligent people you love spread that filth around.
  • RajioRajio Centurion
    What saddens me in particular is seeing young people so full of hate and prejudice. they don't even know what they're talking about or saying half the time. They just want to feel involved and 'pick a side'

we used to look to young people to be where the stupid would stop. 'at least these stupid people will die off and the younger people will take over'. we though that about racism. we though that about climate change. etc. yet now i see so many dumb kids pushing the stupidity just to be edgy, but they do it so much they start believing it too.

i think its partly due to how the internet is a tool that has a strong tendency to radicalize people. on the internet people start to pick extreme opinions. there is no middle ground. you have to be on one end of the spectrum or at the extreme opposite. love or hate. red or blue. (hydra or cap'n) so these dumb kids take an extreme position and don't even realize they have been radicalized into extreme fundamentalist weirdos.

i dunno. sorry i rant guys. it makes me sad and i think a lot about it. it impacts me pretty regularly, and people i know.
    Juxtapose
  • I know in my mid teens I said and did a lot of hateful shit I am ashamed of now. For me I think it was an attempt to shock and offend people more than believing the BS I was spreading. As I grew up I eventually realized how damaging my behavior was to others and myself...hoping to do it even better in the next 51 years
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    Hate is passed down. Its learned . People who mostly view the world through the internet can have an unreal idea of what the world is. That's how ISIS can have propaganda videos and people think oh my god isis kicks ass I'm going to join and kick ass too! (Big Brother, that was just an example of a possible thought process someone might have, it is NOT MY thought process so don't come for me ok?)

But then they go seeking this adventure and the reality of it is much different . Just ask that poor isis fighter who kept fucking up and it was all caught on cam. Ill post a link in a bit if I find it.

The internet is a haven for anti social people. They cant get along with or communicate with people in person, but they can type and say whatever they want because they don't have to worry about another persons reaction.

One thing I hated was when Amanda Todd committed suicide because of bullying and being blackmailed with her nude photos. People online were saying they were glad she was dead, people made memes about her and drinking bleach. Some people even went as far as to spread her nude photos (which were of her at 15 or 16 ).

There seemed to be a lot of young people her age who didn't care and were more amused that she was so bullied that she resorted to killing herself.

There is so much more negativity. People are more negative today. On the road people are all competing to get in front of each other, people always feel they need to talk shit about others to make themselves look better, people who always blame others for their problems and so on.

I don't know what happened to make people so miserable these days, but lots of people are.

Juxtapose
    Doos said:
    I barely use the Book of Faces because, frankly, I find it all pandering and BS. As a result though, I often don't know what many of my coworkers are going on about.

And honestly, I'm okay with that since it's oft petty and trite.