This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Fuck Russia...or fuck the oylmpics

OK I want to throw out this rant right now...in 1988 ( I believe) I guy by the name of Ben Johnson became the fastest man ever and then summarily test positive. He said and others said it was a widespread issue and Canada tore it's amateur sports organization apart from the ground up to be clean.

1000's of athletes have tested positive since Ben's disgrace yet no other country has ever come close to a widespread investigation into their countries cheating. I dont this Russia is unique in their behavior. However they are the most significant case to date of government assisted cheating.

I say Canada gives the IOC an ultimatum. They either ban the soviets for 2 Olympics ( Rio and the following winter games) Or Canada should permanently pull out of all Olympic events. The entire event is corrupt and evil as sin....and frankly I am tired of our tax dollars supporting this in anyway shape or form.

Enough is enough and only something significant like that can shake the IOC up.

Comments

• RajioRajio Centurion
    never been a huge fan of the olympics. there are so many problems with what is just a simple international sporting tournament (despite there being many international sporting tournaments without these problems!)
  • I am tired of the widespread cheating, state sponsored cheating, extortion and bribes and collusion... it never fucking ends.
    The IOC has already started out with...or well it probably wouldn't be fair to ban all soviet athletes there are three left that haven't been implicated fully yet.

Enough is enough.....and I want to shoot the next person that says....oh we should host another Olympics in Canada
  • I take it you never made it to Vancouver for the Olympics did you. That was one of the coolest experiences of my life.

To be fair I think everyone knows how corrupt the IOC is, it's just as bad as FIFA.

Also one country pulling out of the Olympics is gonna do jack shit.
  • MSQGannerMSQGanner Centurion
    I for one, who's a major fan of Olympics, believe that the russian delegation (not the athletes) should be banned from at least 2 Summer Olympics and 2 Winter Olympics, have their candidature rights revoked until proven clean, and pay a hefty fine.

With that said, i wouldn't ban russians athletes but instead would subject them to extended anti drug testings prior and after the events, and let them participate (even under the russian flag but not representing the delegation) unless they fail said test to which the minimum consequences should start with at least a 2 year ban from all national/international competitions plus a fine.

And when the said delegations/athletes gets their right back to compete they should be under supervised probation for at least a decade. This is in the case of generalised culpability and recidivists.

In the case that, through medical and training staff, athletes are unknowingly drugged, then the said athletes shouldn't be penalized. That penalisation should go to the staff/team/delegation at fault.

And, to disminish the chance of drug abuse occuring, i would instate new mandatory testing of every athletes prior and after every sporting events leading to Olympics (including the Olympics) which would be administrated by both the IOC and the International anti Drugs Agency.
  • RajioRajio Centurion
    they should just bite the bullet and start a third olympics. you have teh paralympics, the olympics, now give us the superolympics for drug/tech augmented people/creations.
    Juxtapose
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    they should take it back to greece, build an outdoor arena from stone and just bring it back to the basic sports like relay, long and high jump, wrestling and . cut the cost by many millions
  • RajioRajio Centurion
    joking aside, i agree. i'd be 100% fine with an all natural tournament like that. it doesnt need to travel and have stadiums built and shit. just build an olympic village once in greece. call it a day.
  • Law212 said:

they should take it back to greece, build an outdoor arena from stone and just bring it back to the basic sports like relay, long and high jump, wrestling and . cut the cost by many millions

I remember hearing something similar about this, where someone suggest two permanent designated sites just for Olympics. I'd be okay with this.

I mean I see both sides of this, on one hand it would be up to the IOC to maintain the cost of the site. On the other hand countries/host don't get to show themselves off in a good light, like Vancouver did. Then you have Rio.
    Rajio said:

joking aside, i agree. i'd be 100% fine with an all natural tournament like that. it doesnt need to travel and have stadiums built and shit. just build an olympic village once in greece. call it a day.

not in all cases but sometimes Olympics gives advantage to athletes by obligating the build of new ventures. In example, at Vancouver 2010 we finally got our own bobsleigh training center which meant that canadian athletes could finally train without the need of spending months doing so in other countries that had these installations. Same thing occured with the velodrome (now the biodome) in Montreal (1976). This year in Rio, brazilians get new venues too like the rapid water kayak center.

On the other hand you have countries like China who build venues for Olympics then let them roth away, like the Nest (their main stadium), but that's their loss. I mean everyone cannot the held accountable of certain individuals/groups stupid decisions...

As for the all drugged Olympics would shatter every records ever, including the amount of dead athletes due to overdose...

• what are you talking about??? dude Canada has had one of the worlds best bobsled training facilities since the 1980s. A few hours east of you in a little-known city named Calgary...lol
  • EchoGolfSierraEchoGolfSierra Centurion
    edited July 2016
    oh and those wonderful facilities cost Canadian's and event to a greater extent BCers billions. Only where the Olympics is concerned can people twist and manipulate numbers to claim events broke event. Yes winter Olympics are more successful than summer games due to size, and Canada seems to run them moderately better than other countries. However, Vancouver's claim that they broke even in 2010 only occurs if they dont count a single dollar any level of government provided.

They actually cite in it various accounting textbooks and courses......

There is no financial, cultural, spiritual or intellectual benefit to be achieved by Olympic participation. that cannot be achieved in other ways with better results and at a fraction of the cost.
  • MSQGanner said:

With that said, i wouldn't ban russians athletes but instead would subject them to extended anti drug testings prior and after the events, and let them participate (even under the russian flag but not representing the delegation) unless they fail said test to which the minimum consequences should start with at least a 2 year ban from all national/international competitions plus a fine.

The athletes knowingly cheated and deserve lifetime bans...how could you possibly let them compete...they have already failed tests in an Olympic year???

MSQGanner said:

The athletes knowingly cheated and deserve lifetime bans...how could you possibly let them compete...they have already failed tests in an Olympic year???
    I'm pretty sure i read somewhere (on the official Olympic feed at the time) that there was something new that we didn't have before with that competition center. I'd have to go re read it to argue further about it 'cause, you know, memory and stuff...

Come to think of i might have mixed things up with a first olympic aproved skiing slope...
  • lol np dude, easy to confuse things over 6 years...I dont want you to think I was going off on you...just in your general direction :) This stuff just drives me nuts...no honor in these guys