This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Olympics... 'Cause you know, feels!!

MSQGannerMSQGanner Centurion
edited August 2016 in Events & Contests
Although i know many of you won't watch it 'cause there's no Pokemon Go disciplines i thought i'd still do a post about it.

And, while unofficially opened, today was the first day of competitions with the Canadian female soccer team having a preliminary match. Not only have they won against the No.5 seeded Australia but they also broke a all-time record by scoring at the twentieth second in the game. Like i said "Feels".

Next step, the Opening ceremony and there better be some samba, colours and thongs...

Comments

• RajioRajio Centurion
    20th second? well shit!
  • SintacsSintacs Centurion
    I really must be living under a rock, I didn't even know there was Olympics happening this year.
  • dont worry Sintacs....it isnt worth your time....everyone cheats and dopes, and no one cares....it is just a money maker for the IOC....and bankrupts the nation involved. I seriously wish canada will pull out of the summer Olympics for good.
    JuxtaposeStreaker1978
  • SintacsSintacs Centurion
    Oh don't worry, I have no interest in them, never have. I'm not a sports watching guy anyway, I don't care for "esports" either.
  • I love baseball and hockey, and even some golf. I typically will watch the winter Olympics because the number of countries represented is much smaller. And Host countries have a chance to "kinda" break even if they run them well.

looking forward to the fall world hockey championships.... but will skip these Olympics.

E-sports are starting to get my attention :)
  • Pshh! We all know that golf players are all crackheads, baseball players are disgusting, and hockey players wear pads every time they have a period while olympians are as clean as greek gods yo!!
  • MSQGanner said:

Pshh! We all know that golf players are all crackheads, baseball players are disgusting, and hockey players wear pads every time they have a period while olympians are as clean as greek gods yo!!

oh ya it is just the Russians....lol

• I'm waiting for a whole team or event to get kidnapped while in Rio
  • man Rio must have the best hookers and drugs to be had....if the IOC liked it enough to give it a summer Games
  • Russia had better drugs and hookers 'cause IOC gave them Sotchi2014 which did cost over $50B and was filled with drugged russian athletes. While Rio has been one of the least expensive event of the last 2 decades.

And sure, they won't be perfect (far from it) but how can we expect perfection when we can't do it ourselves. I mean 1976 Montreal Olympics were a flop economically (we paid for the construction of Olympic Stadium 'til the mid 90s'), Calgary 1988 wasnt much better, then we turned around and spent over $10B for the Vancouver Olympics. So, who are we to judge Rio Olympics?

• the difference is we are an affluent First world country. We have universal medicare, student loans, welfare... paved roads....hydro etc etc etc That cant be said about Brazil.

Although I question their accounting methods Vancouver and Calgary were deemed a financial success. Montreal...well that is another story, but that goes back to winter games vs Summer game to some extent.

I think it is a crime when a third world country agrees to and is granted an Olympics. Brazil may never recover from Rio.
  • I'll tell you what is a crime on the matter, not the fact that that country is an emerging country (not third world...) that has declared war on no other countries in recent history, is when you give Olympics to dictatorial countries like Germany (1936) or Russia (2012). When the vast majority complain about drug abuse of few athletes while they turn around and cheer for their favorite sport team who's filled with overpaid drugged athletes, these same teams who do not pay their full share of taxes but still sell you $100 tickets, $14 beer, $6 hot dogs, etc.

Back to what went wrong with our own Olympics: Montreal 1976 total economic flop, 1988 Calgary didnt make any profit + Ben Johnson's substance abuse, 2010 Vancouver barely cut even + an athlete died on the morning of opening ceremonies due to a lack of inspection and testing of the installations. So, we're no better than anyone else on the matter and surely not the right people to give lessons to others.

In fact, at some point, people need to realize that this Earth is filled with imbeciles that are quick to point fingers at others but get offended when others points towards them. People who rather point out everything wrong but will not offer a single trace of solution 'cause they think their milkshakes are better than yours. Damn right, it's better than yours... I'll let you finish the lyrics lol

So, yeah, i'll personally wait 'til the Olympics are done before calling them The Devil and/or being judgemental.
  • Sintacs said:

I really must be living under a rock, I didn't even know there was Olympics happening this year.

It's easy to tell when the Olympics are on, many become "social activists" based on what is being posted online...

• my bitch isnt with Rio....or Russia...my bitch is with the IOC. and I would like Canada to lead the way and pull their athletes totally....but it would never happen... I know that. The entire situation is corrupt.

But I think you are wrong I believe Calgary" officially" turned a surplus but then that surplus was reinvested in sport and facilities in the Calgary area. I seem to remember that story at the time.
    As far as Ben is concerned we are still the only company to hold any sort of official government-sponsored inquiry into doping.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    I agree, that these greedy and crooked companies should be turned on, but instead we still pay money to go fill their pockets while they stomp all over people. Our athletes should walk away .

The Olympics are a joke to me. They just don't stand for the same ideals as they did when they started. Now its money over everything.
  • Law212 said:

I agree, that these greedy and crooked companies should be turned on, but instead we still pay money to go fill their pockets while they stomp all over people. Our athletes should walk away .

The Olympics are a joke to me. They just don't stand for the same ideals as they did when they started. Now its money over everything.

Which is pretty much what everything is these days, yes?

• I get what you say Echo but if people started doing as you suggest everywhere we know there's corruption then the only people who'd still be doing things (work, tourism, sports,etc) would be the corrupted ones meaning that unemployment would skyrocket and economy would crash and burn.

And don't forget that with Olympics things seems worse than professional sport is 'cause they actually test the athletes frequently and results are made public. Plus if we were to compare this to professional sports, like let's say NHL, on one side you have nearly 11k athletes to test and make sure that they abide by the rules, while on the other side there are around 1k athletes. Not to mention that on Olympic events most athletes are amateurs representing a nation (oftenly controlled by Gov't on every aspects) while in professional sports these are controlled internally by representatives of corporations who only care about money.

On IOC defense regarding the Russian fiasco, we need to remember that Russia used their secret services to falsify test results. So, IOC with the little time they had to make a decision opted for neutrality on the matter (to avoid affecting athletes who didn't cheat the system) and give that decisional power to sports federations who works with clean athletes (and coaching/medical staff) on a regular basis to do prevention and keep the sports clean. It is not perfect but we do see results in most disciplines.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    RumGeoff said:

Law212 said:

Yes, but this is different.
  • Law212 said:

RumGeoff said:

Law212 said:

Yes, but this is different.
    How is it? It's been known for a long time the Olympics have been more about greed then athletic competition. Is it a shock that many of the Russians have been doping? It's been well known for years but now that the "public pressure" has surfaced, the IOC is trying to do something about it and failing miserably. Anybody with a brain in the IOC would of known how poor the conditions would be in Rio...

• Law212Law212 Centurion
    Lol. When I buy a video game I know that Netherrealm studios didn't make a golf course on top of a wildlife sanctuary.

If a game company makes a crappy port, they aren't leaving behind an unfinished building that cant even be converted to something that people can live in.

That's the difference.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    I cant even believe I had to explain that.
  • Law212 said:

Lol. When I buy a video game I know that Netherrealm studios didn't make a golf course on top of a wildlife sanctuary.

If a game company makes a crappy port, they aren't leaving behind an unfinished building that cant even be converted to something that people can live in.

That's the difference.

And do you think this is the first Olympics where the betterment of those who live there have been sacrificed?
    Law212
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    ..... Did I say that or make any indication I thought that?
    RumGeoff
  • Law212 said:

..... Did I say that or make any indication I thought that?

My point was about the greed of the Olympics...
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    You had no point. I said the Olympics don't stand for what they intended when they started. I said its about money now, then you asked isn't that what everything is about....

Then I went on to entertain your questions which I shouldn't have.

• Law212 said:

That's the difference.

I can't believe that's the comparison you're using.
    Law212
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    well we mainly talk video games here. I like that the point goes over the heads that I expect it to.
  • Law212 said:

You had no point. I said the Olympics don't stand for what they intended when they started. I said its about money now, then you asked isn't that what everything is about....

Well gee whiz, thanks for entertaining my questions...It's all about money, not the "olympic competition", anyhow, good talk...
  • Nothing goes over my head. My reflex are too quick, i'd catch it.
    Juxtapose
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    RumGeoff said:

Law212 said:

Well gee whiz, thanks for entertaining my questions...It's all about money, not the "olympic competition.
    That's exactly what I said.