This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

No Man's Sky

RajioRajio Centurion
edited August 2016 in General

So apparently it has been further delayed on the PC? (Its too late to delay it on PS since retail copies have shipped so thats it)

Anybody picking it up?

Comments

• EchoGolfSierraEchoGolfSierra Centurion
    edited July 2016
    Does anyone have it pre-ordered? What version ( PC or Ps4)? And what exactly is your read on this game...what it is..what it isnt?

From what I have seen it seems a little like Wing Commander Privateer circa early 1990s. I enjoyed that game...but obviously never inspired many clones. Is this literally, just a huge open world universe to explore?

What am I missing here? trying to decide if I should preorder or wait this one out
  • MSQGannerMSQGanner Centurion
    I didn't pre order it yet (gonna do it this week though) on PC. As a bonus you get a more powerful vessel, not sure if you also get any other bonuses.

As for the game itself it looks more like a hybrid between minecraft and Empiryon Galactic survival imo.
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    tons of games i want but this isnt one of them
  • RajioRajio Centurion
    I want to love this game but I'm taking an entrenched 'wait and see' approach. So much so that I won't even pick it up week 1. At week 2 or 3 i will see what people think, how much compelling content and gameplay there is, and weigh that against the price.
  • I found it interesting how I read in one article there would be no DLC... but continual upgrades. The game seems huge and certainly has potential. Hopefully it was a good sign they delayed launch
    There are a lot of survival games that have no dlc, and instead, will add new features through updates (Like Ark Survival Evolved, Rust, Life is Feudal, etc) which works well with the community.

What i noticed as issues with survival games is that oftenly they have limited crafting options and near to non existant quest logs. Although with this game you'll have hours of exploration before you find all the ressource types.

Some of the things i jope to find with this games having factions options for group play, predefined blueprints (like Empiryon) for those who wont want to spend hours trying to build their own fortresses and ships, extensive character progress through leveling (a bit like Life is Feudal) and a trade market.
    Law212
  • 18 quadrillion planets all the size of earth....you can spend a lot of time and never find another player....
    Now I assume players will pick a central planet and post directions then players will assemble to trade and or fight
  • OzziOzzi Centurion
    I have it pre ordered on ps4, and i'm excited for it!
    And, i just pre ordered it Like a BOSS!!
    Law212
    One thing i read about this game which i like is the fact that the map will only show what the player discovered and/or maps shared with other players. Meaning it'll strongly encourage player interactions and cooperation to discover every planet in the game.

It seems it will also allow factions to be created which obviously means that i'll be able to create the Empire and rule the Universe... So, who's gonna be my bit...my apprentice?lol
  • dude I dont care how big your faction is...you aint coming close to exploring every planet in this game
    With the help of all my slaves plaid in white plastic that stops absolutely nothing (not even rocks thrown by neanderthal carebears) i will
    And i will find those droids that i'm looking for...and those Vesparian planetary shield codes...
  • lets see if you visit a planet for only one second and it only takes you one second to get to the next planet ( it takes anywhere from 30 mins to 30 seconds actually) working 24 hrs a day for 365 days a year....it would only take you around 534 years to visit all the planets.
    The numbers for this game are actually pretty staggering. Mathematically it is entirely likely you can play the game regularly for a decade and never accidently stumble across another player. I think it will be interesting to see the communities and forum emerge and watch the networking.

People wanting to trade resources need others and established trading hubs...people wanting to be a space pirate need to find out where these hubs are.

I almost hope they go cross platform and add Xbone and Nintendo NX players too or the fan base might just be too small for any pvp interactions. I think it is telling that Sony is removing the requirement to have PS+ for multiplayer. When questioned they claimed they arent sure how much actually multiplayer will exist simply because of the game's vastness.
    At ludicrous speed i'd pass entire systems in a fraction of a second, so, i'm not worried lol

But seriously, i thought about it myself and i think they'll expand the size of the galaxy gradually as more and more new players gets the game. Plus we don't know how wide the radius of map you'll uncover at specific spots. And we'll be able to build our ships with more powerful hyperdrive (or whatever they'll call it) for exploration thus augmenting top speed of ships.

So far, we know that people will be able to trade through hubs but we don't know if they'll be common thing or not.

And i'm pretty sure (but not certain) that the game will be cross platform.
  • RajioRajio Centurion
    is everyone playing in the same instance of the universe? AFAIK you can't really permanently alter anything so you won't really be leaving a mark anywhere - when you leave a planet it resets I believe. so they could make it a small universe and still make it rare that you encounter other people just by instancing. would you even know whether you're in a live MP server situation if you never find other players?

in Elite Dangerous you can play in 'solo' mode which is just the game with no other human players. you are in the same universe with the same globally shared economy. the same dynamic factions and politics. players actions on teh world in the shared universe effect you in solo instances. you're playing off the same servers just dont encounter other human players, just NPCs. Alternately you can play in the shared instance and potentially run into other humans. this can be more dangerous (human pirates, etc) but also more fun and profitable (being a motherfucking space pirate)
  • Law212Law212 Centurion

I'm not interested in the game, but I don't see delays as bad things if they are working on making everything air tight. delays because the game is a disaster though on the system are different.

Hopefully its just to bring a better product to the consumers.

• Part of me wants to grab this with the hope it is a reimagines Wing Commander Privateer. But with sooooo many big titles coming out....I may wait for a decent price drop since I just dont see multiplayer being a significant part of this game.... maybe for Christmas

• Law212Law212 Centurion

I'm waiting for a remake of Xwing and Tie fighter. With all the same controls of the originals but just todays graphics. I would be able to die a happy man

• @Law212 said:
    I'm waiting for a remake of Xwing and Tie fighter. With all the same controls of the originals but just todays graphics. I would be able to die a happy man

dont tease me about that....that would unbelievable

• RajioRajio Centurion

@Law212 said:

the 'feel' of that game would be super important, but if they did it right, it would be insane. the problem is they probably wouldnt. it would almost defnitely have to be crossplatform (not just a pc title) and thus have different acessibility needs (probably third person 'chase camera' view, and not as much of a sim.)

But imagine if they did it.

• RajioRajio Centurion

I also wonder why nobody has made a good BSG dogfighting game.

Wing Commander made a brief return in 2007 but not as a proper sim game.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

right, I worry it would be dumbed down for consoles. but I can dream.

• RajioRajio Centurion

Elite Dangerous actually controls better on Xbox than on PC somehow. it manages to stay a 'sim' too. They COULD do it. but would they? thats the question.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

well I haven't played the console version to compare but I think the game controls amazingly on PC. And I like that I can access all cockpit controls with just my HOTAS

• According to IGN, two players ere spotted in same area, although they didn't see each other.

Nasa and their Hubble telescope probably helped in the search...

• OzziOzzi Centurion

@Law212 said:
    well I haven't played the console version to compare but I think the game controls amazingly on PC. And I like that I can access all cockpit controls with just my HOTAS

Did you get it early?

• RajioRajio Centurion

@Law212 said:

full HOTAS control? That makes me closer to buying it for sure.

• @Rajio said:
    full HOTAS control? That makes me closer to buying it for sure.

You can even twerk it