This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Suicide Squad

RajioRajio Centurion
edited August 2016 in TV & Movies
This discussion was created from comments split from: !Movies! - Old - New - !Movies!.

Comments

• So Suicide Squad, incredibly enjoyable. They did a good job. It didnt blow me away, but it has some great moments. Granted in the first 5 minutes(and too many other parts) they play popular songs over the film(a la Guardians of the Galaxy).

I mean it was a little predicable. Still, I had fun. More fun than Bats vs Supes. Also liked a certain cameo(very obvious if you read comics and not Bats).

There is a mid credit scene as well.

• Law212Law212 Centurion
    going to see suicide squad tonight. if holly ever gets ready in rime..... you give a girl 2 hours and shes still not ready..... we are supposed to go to dinner first but .....
  • Law212Law212 Centurion
    suicide squad was great. i loved it. people are dumb. suicide squad was tons of fun
  • the one observation I heard about SS was this... they wished they had first done a joker/harley movie, and a maybe another batman movie featuring some of these villains so their backstory was mostly fleshed out and not have to be shown again. Before they did the Suicide Squad.

They went on to say that there was a lot of characters and a lot of time spent telling everyone's backstory in a relatively short movie. But either way I will see it.

I would love for someone to do the HQ story,,, right from her first sighting at Arkham through her fall from grace right up to her first meeting with THE BATMAN

• Law212Law212 Centurion

I don't get why those were complaints. They spent a good amount of time getting into back stories but those parts were great, and needed since the over all story of the movie doesn't take long. They had to stop the bad guy. that's it. So the more interesting parts of the movie were when they would get into the characters stories.

Jared leto did an amazing job.

EchoGolfSierra
  • Law212Law212 Centurion

OK so a bit more about Suicide Squad.

I'm going to say something that people would probably come to my house and murder me for. Jared leto's Joker was better than Heath Ledgers.... OMG WTF? well he was.

He portrayed him more accurately than Heath's version. There was also a great scene showing the relationship between Joker and Harley and there were shots that were straight out of the comics that were superb. We also got to see how joker abused Harley mentally and physically which shaped her into what she became.

Joker didn't get all that much screen time, but to me that left me wanting more because every time he was on screen you couldn't help but be glued to his performance. It was spot on.

So how about the other characters?

one complaint I hear is that there were lots of characters with little to no development.

that's true and not true.
    Killer Croc had the same kind of intro as the rest but not as in depth. He was just there to be some extra muscle in the group and for the most part was just in the background kicking butt.

Katana? I think her name was, wasn't really apart of the squad, she was part of the government goons there to keep them in line. we hear about how her sword absorbs souls and that the sword was used to kill her husband , and she talks to it on occasion. She did some fighting and such but again was just there.

The fire guy , I forget his name, started out to be just a in the background character but as the movie went on became awesome. we learned that he killed his wife and kids and there was a scene where Harley calls him out and tells him to own that shit because it happened.

He becomes totally badass by the end.

the enchantress wo is the main villain was really cool. the first time the girl transforms into her was so cool.

then in her enchantress form she moves so oddly that I couldn't stop looking at her. They did a great job with her. She ended up being a really cool character even though the plot and her plan were pretty weak.

Boomerang was some comedy relief

Slipknot was used by boomerang to test if they really had explosive devices in their neck and he falls for it and gets his head popped right away.

There were government soldiers with the group and the squad had to listen to one guy in particular who had a relationship with the woman possessed by enchantress and he was there to try to help her. but his character development was pretty good too and he was also just a pawn in the whole thing. It was cool to see that one of his soldiers just gave up his life at his command. Very interesting that DC has the balls to do stuff like this while marvel would have found a way to save everyone.

Now to the main two.

Deadshot. He had a great backstory involving his daughter. she knew he was a bad guy and killed people and that's why they cant live together. but deadshot really wants to fix that. he shows regret for what he does and in a great scene batman confronts him while hes with is daughter. She convinces him to give up.

the great thing this film did was show that these characters do bad things. They know it, they own it but they still have morals and regrets and they care about people and sometimes they do the right thing.

Harley had tons of great moments. She was crazy, she was funny and she was tragic. near the end the enchantress shows them she can give them what they all want, and Harleys vision was really cool but totally impossible but deep in her crazy warped brain that was what she wanted. I wont give that detail away.

So what else?

The music throughout the movie was great.
    The cinematography was well done with some great action shots.

the biggest badass in the movie was someone who wasn't super powered or in the squad but the person who created the squad.

this movie didn't shy away from killing , it didn't shy away from being a dark movie with fun elements and that's why I really like DC movies.

don't forget to stay for the after credits scene which was pretty cool/ Also just watch the credits since they were really fun and colourful.

Also big points for the Joker killing Common since I love seeing him die. My girlfriend had a fling with him in her 20s so any time he dies I'm a happy man.

was it perfect? no, is any movie perfect and without flaws? no
    but was it entertaining ? definitely. the pacing was tight , the action was great , the characters were spot on and I have no complaints about it. If you nitpick you can find stuff, but that's if you go watch it looking for the flaws.

if you go in to enjoy a movie about DC characters then you will love this film.

Rajio
  • Law212Law212 Centurion

I was so hyped to watch the movie that I picked this up earlier yesterday. I want to get the Joker one as well.

Sintacs
  • Law212Law212 Centurion

Also, I will say that I think C is making great films. There are all these clickbait articles about how DC needs to make a good movie to make a comeback but their movies make tons of cash and IMO are better than marvel movies. Especially with regard to character development.

Wonder Woman looks like it will be amazing too, and Justice League will kick ass.

While I did really like Civil War, and I liked Xmen apocalypse, they didn't leave me as satisfied as the DC offerings.

to me, marvel movies are like having flings with hot chicks. DC movies are like making love to a gorgeous woman you're in a relationship with and you feel closer to that person after every time together.

• RajioRajio Centurion

yeah people seem to really forget about how many stinkers marvel has. and a lot of their mediocre movies get high praise. (like some are okay but not like amazing or anything) ... its weird. perhaps really good marketing.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

well I really liked fantastic 4. But people hated it for its darker tone and for making johnny storm black.

I'm sorry but that guy is a great actor and was great in Creed. Also the movie was far better than the Jessica alba ones.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

One movie this topic brings me to is John Carter. When it was in theatres a friend asked if I wanted to go see it. I had no idea what it was because I never saw ads or commercials for it and it sound like a boring movie about a man named john carter.

When I saw it on blu ray ages later I loved it. But the movie was a flop. Unfortunately because of marketing and not because of quality.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

But anyway Suicide Squad. Go see it.

• @Rajio said:
    yeah people seem to really forget about how many stinkers marvel has. and a lot of their mediocre movies get high praise. (like some are okay but not like amazing or anything) ... its weird. perhaps really good marketing.

Pshhh!! Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance was awesome....not really lol

Rajio
  • @EchoGolfSierra said:
    the one observation I heard about SS was this... they wished they had first done a joker/harley movie, and a maybe another batman movie featuring some of these villains so their backstory was mostly fleshed out and not have to be shown again. Before they did the Suicide Squad.

They went on to say that there was a lot of characters and a lot of time spent telling everyone's backstory in a relatively short movie. But either way I will see it.

I would love for someone to do the HQ story,,, right from her first sighting at Arkham through her fall from grace right up to her first meeting with THE BATMAN

Yeah, so most of the characters that make up the Suicide Squad had small intros, and they honestly had to do it. I bet the average person knew who The Joker, Harley Quinn and Killer Croc was. The likes of Rick Flag, Katana, Captain Bommerang, El Diablo and Enchantress would mostly be unheard of save if you watch Arrow, which had Katana and Captain Boomerang in season 3 I believe.

Margot Robbie was so damn good in this movie, Paul Dini himself tweeted that this was a real life Quinn.

My only issue of the movie really was the over abundance of pop songs through out the movie, it was a little excessive, specially the first 5 mins. DC/WB needs to work on their CGI, El Diablos fire looked weird

• Law212Law212 Centurion

I felt the music fit very well. But you cant please everyone

• https://www.inverse.com/article/19244-all-of-suicide-squad-s-many-dc-comics-easter-eggs

Easter Eggs, the best one is still the homage to Alex Ross's cover with Harley and Joker. That's an extremely cool nod, and it's almost picture perfect.

Also it's damn shame that certain person wont return to a potential sequel. Hopefully this movie does really well, because their is potential for another bad guy team movie DC could do The Rogues

• I was going to see this just for Robbie's Quin....
    I like the idea of the earth's greatest villains teaming up....I am not sure how Capt Boomerrang fits in..... but ok

• Law212Law212 Centurion

Would be great to start to get Catwoman in on this.

• @EchoGolfSierra said:
    I was going to see this just for Robbie's Quin....
    I like the idea of the earth's greatest villains teaming up....I am not sure how Capt Boomerrang fits in..... but ok

These are far from being the greatest villians on Earth from DC. If you're gonna say best earth based DC villians. Deadshot for sure is on it, but Deathstroke, Black Adam, Black Manta, Ra's Al Ghul, Vandal Savage

• for me...deadshot, joker, croc, catwoman....as far as one on one battles. You can throw Al Ghul in there too

• I would love a full on vigilante "Judge Dread" style Batman... Someone scarier than the bad guys...

• Law212Law212 Centurion

Its subjective dude. Some of us aren't as hardcore into this as you are.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

@EchoGolfSierra said:
    I would love a full on vigilante "Judge Dread" style Batman... Someone scarier than the bad guys...

Ya for sure, personally I wanted a hard R X-Force Movie with Wolverine, Domino, Deadpool, Cable and a couple others

• @EchoGolfSierra said:
    I would love a full on vigilante "Judge Dread" style Batman... Someone scarier than the bad guys...

You want Prometheus then, he's not the most well known or more often used. He actually fought single handedly the last incarnation of the Justice League(Pre New 52 Reboot) and almost beat them all. Oh and a portion of his plan was actually succeeded.

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Prometheus_(New_Earth)

EchoGolfSierra
  • @EchoGolfSierra also if you're intretsed in reading Super Villians team up stories lines, look up Infinite Crisis: Villians United, it united almost every DC villians together with the exception of Lex Luthor, Joker and members of the Secret Six. Also look up Forever Evil it was a more recent event featuring the Justice League evil counter points of Earth 3, the Crime Syndikate of Amerika

• Law212Law212 Centurion

Also for Marvel, check out Dark Avengers. I thought that was pretty good.

EchoGolfSierra
  • Law212Law212 Centurion

Anyone ever read Bomb Queen?

Sintacs
  • I have an MMO character named Prometheus
    ...but he was named after the greek demi god