This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

D&D

DoosDoos Centurion

Yo, anyone playing D&D around here?

Me and my boys went from video games to board games to D&D. We finally got rid of all the shit that gets in the way of just imagination and friends. It's fun as fuck.

Way back when I was 14ish I had some friends that would get together from time to time and we'd get into a bit of D&D but we all moved on and I never really had anyone to get into it with again... until now.

We've played twice for about 6 hrs and we're still learning the ropes to make it all go smoothly but our DM (Dungeon Master) is coming along nicely and is knocking it out of the park with his descriptions and actions and shit! So much fun.

VanishedNine
Tagged:

Comments

• I have been looking to get back in to it...but no one in my backwards little town plays

• DoosDoos Centurion

Man, that's too bad. Unfortunately for me, two of the four in our group are school teachers and their schedules just got a whole lot busier.

• I've been trying to get back into that and another game called Rifts, but all my buddies are old and married and have careers. It's getting harder and harder to get anyone out to do anything these days, let alone to get them to commit to an entire day once a week to game.

• I haven't played myself but I've been watching a group of popular video game voice actors play on YouTube. They got some pretty big names on the show and in the couple episodes I've watched it's been entertaining.
  • DoosDoos Centurion

@Lactos I played Rifts way back when. Power armor and all that shit. It was great. Yeah, I'm sort of lucky that the group I have is all untethered aside from work at the moment. One has a wife but she don't care (Like mine! My wife wants to get into it! She's busy doing Witcher 3 DLC right now though) and the other two are unattached so that makes things easier, for sure.

@Tim Yo, you try Harmonquest? (Dan Harmon and co play D&D with guest stars) That's some fun ass D&D TV. First episode is up on YouTube in good quality, the rest you have to find on the web.. 'cause it's not available in Canada yet. Which is a bummer 'cause it's so fun I'd totally pay for it. What are you watching?

@Raj If you get the chance, do. 'Cause it's just a good time, man! Make shit up, try to be a bad ass, if your DM is cool they'll make it all sound good. Check out the above mentioned Harmonquest to see a good DM in action.

• @Doos I haven't but I'll definitely check it out. I love me some Dan Harmon.

This is what I'm watching

• I was wondering if you were watching the Geek and Sundry D&D streams. I keep meaning to watch the Rooster Teeth D&D on youtube

• What edition you play @Doos?
    I started back with the basic D&D box set in the 70's
    Then my friends and I all switched to AD&D.
    Did a little second edition in the military
    about 2008 I tried 4th edition...I like the simplicity.
    Has the newest edition finally come out yet?

But I left London for a couple years and lost touch with the group I use to play with.

If you are ever looking for an extra player let me know. I also enjoy DMing...but you have one of those already.

• @ReclaimerM3GTR said:
    I was wondering if you were watching the Geek and Sundry D&D streams. I keep meaning to watch the Rooster Teeth D&D on youtube

I have watched a few of them....they are very well done. Not a huge fan of the Nerdist dude...but still seem to enjoy them

• @Rajio said:
    Never tried :(

Same. I tried Rift way, way back.

• We could start a group with Jux to play some D&D except we would have to search every square inch of the entire world before we could finish one campaign and move onto the next one :)

RajioJuxtapose
  • DoosDoos Centurion

We're playing DnD5e, Echo. Apparently it's even more simplified than before. Currently we're just getting our footsies wet but if we're looking to expand I'll let you know.

• @Doos...keep me in mind...if you get to a monthly type thing I might be able to make the trek to London..

• DoosDoos Centurion

I will do V9. Whereabouts are you?

• @EchoGolfSierra said:
    We could start a group with Jux to play some D&D except we would have to search every square inch of the entire world before we could finish one campaign and move onto the next one :)

I see you're familiar with my play style!

EchoGolfSierra
  • RajioRajio Centurion

I'm actually impressed with how well he nailed you with that one @Juxtapose

EchoGolfSierraJuxtapose
  • I tried it once but the DM sucked. Nice guy but very awkward...my buddies and I have been talking about jumping in...is it pricey? I can see it being an awesome winter game (or an game to escape the crazy heat)

• Nerdist guy? Chris Hardwick? Matt Mira, Jonhay Ray?

• @Doos in Port Colborne...near St Catharines

• @ReclaimerM3GTR said:
    Hardwick,... he is playing with the girl from the avengers movie and the hipster guy from Pitch perfect,,, and a couple other clones

• @Rajio said:
    I'm actually impressed with how well he nailed you with that one Juxtapose

So am I. Concise and very, very true.

• DoosDoos Centurion

@the1npc said:
    I tried it once but the DM sucked. Nice guy but very awkward...my buddies and I have been talking about jumping in...is it pricey? I can see it being an awesome winter game (or an game to escape the crazy heat)

We just got the 5e starter set, which was $15 on amazon. Then all the guys got all excited and went out and bought their own dice. The DM bought a dry erase board for doing a rough map for distances and stuff. All the books are easily found online but we're probably going to buy a couple anyway ($30ish a piece) just for ease of access.

So, It's kind of as expensive as you want it to be.

• Hey Doos, if you want to meet for a coffee or a beer sometime I have a bunch of SE books you can thumb through to help you decide what is worth a purchase and what you dont need.

• DoosDoos Centurion

@VanishedNine said:
    Doos in Port Colborne...near St Catharines

That's a bit of a trek for sure, Niner.. I used to drive from London to Niagara for work for a brief stint during the recession. Had to do it on a two hour call during the winter. Was not fun.

There's nobody rocking DnD in that city? Or you're not too keen on joining up with a bunch of randoms? Is there a local game store for board games 'cause that seems to be the place to find people these days.

@Echo What's SE? Right now we've got the players handbook which is great and I think the DM wants the DM Guide and probably some time down the road he'll want a Monster Manual. Currently everything we need comes in a tidy little package in the Starter Set. Which is very cool.

• SE stands for Second Edition... but ya sounds like you are all set :)

• @Doos said:
    So, It's kind of as expensive as you want it to be.

You can also download the basic rules and info on, I think, 4 classes right off the official website. They also have pdfs of character sheets.

• Love AD&D, been a long while since i last played. We used to play 4th ed. 'Cause it simplified lots of stuff (especially for the DM).

I also tried (long ago) an online version (in chat mode) but there were lots of players on at the same time which confused the DM more oftenly then wanted, slowing the story progress drastically. The site also had a dice system (that one worked fine) that had all the different dices. one this that the site lacked though was the ability of viewing other players stats/inventory/spells/etc (had a grid for my character though) which would've falicitate interactions with other players and NPCs' throughout the game. Overall i saw potential in the internet concept but needed lots of improvement to lighten the chatbox usage and better the experience.

• @Doos no, not much is going on around here...at least that I can find. Tried the meetup site that let's people join groups, there is one in Buffalo...but the hassle of crossing a border wouldn't be ideal. Getting to London is a bit of a trek...if it was once a month that wouldn't be bad...but anymore than that might be a pain. If you guys start a new game and are looking for people, let me know and we can go from there

• DoosDoos Centurion

For sure I'll let you guys know. As it is we're trying to get game 3 going and it's been a struggle. Hoping for tonight but one of the guys is still unconfirmed.