This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Bioshock collection

just bought the bioshock collection on the old Xbone. I have 1 and 2 on stream but I get nauseated when I try to play it with on PC for some reason. Either bioshock or Modern warefare were the first games I ever finished on the 360 so I dont have any issue shilling out the $80 bucks for the three high quality games

Comments

• RajioRajio Centurion

maybe motion sickness. for some that is helped by sitting further back from the screen (which one tends to do on console in comparison with PC)

EchoGolfSierra
  • @Rajio said:
    maybe motion sickness. for some that is helped by sitting further back from the screen (which one tends to do on console in comparison with PC)

That's actually one of the major things I miss about console gaming; sitting further away and comfortably on my couch.

• Try the Steam Link, its great for that.

• Also even without steam link , its simple enough to hook up a pc or laptop to your regular tv and use it from the comfort of the couch.

the1npc
  • RajioRajio Centurion

I thought you were getting a Steam link type setup, @Juxtapose

Couch gaming is definitely a different genre than desk gaming.

• there is lots of missing water effects, wtf. Ill wait for a deep sale :(

• @Law212 said:
    Also even without steam link , its simple enough to hook up a pc or laptop to your regular tv and use it from the comfort of the couch.

Aye, but after a long day or work, I don't want to lug my tower downstairs to do so for about 30 minutes of gaming, and then back up to use as a regular PC, etc.

• @Rajio said:
    I thought you were getting a Steam link type setup, Juxtapose

Couch gaming is definitely a different genre than desk gaming.

I was seriously considering it, but since I'd need to go wireless, I'm not confident Steam Link will provide a solid experience.

• @the1npc said:
    there is lots of missing water effects, wtf. Ill wait for a deep sale :(

In which game?

• I played the first while of bioshock 1 then the remake and didn't notice missing water effects. I will be posting a video of the first 15 minutes side by side comparison for the first game. Might do the same for the second

Juxtapose
  • RajioRajio Centurion

@Juxtapose said:
    I was seriously considering it, but since I'd need to go wireless, I'm not confident Steam Link will provide a solid experience.

maybe just pick it up from somewhere with a solid return policy. you can try it out and return it if it underperforms in your setup

• @Juxtapose said:
    In which game?

og bioshock. there was a video ill try to find it. its not a huge issue but im not down to drop $80 knowing that

Juxtapose
  • @Rajio said:
    maybe just pick it up from somewhere with a solid return policy. you can try it out and return it if it underperforms in your setup

That would be ideal, but the only place I've found carrying it is EB Games...

• EB is the only retailer right now.

• And they don't do refunds. When I bought mine , I first asked if they had a refund policy. The guy laughed and acted like I was crazy.....Like every other store has a return policy. He said something along the lines of " no you cant return an opened product. You cant do that anywhere" I then told him that the only thing stores don't take back is open software and that you can return opened hardware no problem.

This was the EB games at Liverpool and highway 2. People are idiots. I wanted to bitch slap the guy.

• I can't stand EB Games, their "policies" are the worst.

• @Sintacs said:
    I can't stand EB Games, their "policies" are the worst.

I feel for them...they are dying a slow painful death. More and more games are being sold digitally. Big change from a few years ago. I think they will be out of business in 5 years unless they come up with some genius idea. And how many 1000s of stores is that NA wide?

• RajioRajio Centurion
    edited September 2016

Last time I shopped at EB, I walked in to buy a game. They laughed at me for not pre-ordering. Told me it would be impossible to find a copy. I asked them if all their copies were preordered and they said it didnt matter, no preorder, no game. I walked across the street and bought the game in less time than it took to have that conversation.

Its fine if they're sold out. Just say so. Don't laugh at a potential customer and lets not pretend that copies of a major release are somehow scarce. I'm downtown in the largest city in the country. There is at least one shop on every block where i could have bought that game. That was by Eaton Centre, and there are like 10 different shops where I could have gotten the game within a 1 block radius of that EB.

The combination of being laughed at and them pretending the idea that they have a game for sale be so ridiculous really grinded (ground?) my gears.

• RajioRajio Centurion

@EchoGolfSierra said:
    I feel for them...they are dying a slow painful death. More and more games are being sold digitally. Big change from a few years ago. I think they will be out of business in 5 years unless they come up with some genius idea. And how many 1000s of stores is that NA wide?

I dunno man. The fact that game sales are shifting to digital doesn't mean there isn't a spot for game retailers. The still have a lot of value. They have to play their cards right to remain relevant and not put on blinders. Just acknowledge that digital sales are a thing and understand that your customers know this.

Sell digital codes in store
    Sell currency cards in store
    Sell games in store with physical extras (stickers, limited editions, etc)
    Hold events (tournaments and stuff)
    etc

A lot of indie shops are starting to do some cool stuff to remain relevant and its working well. One near me does fighting game tournaments regularly for example. Really draws in and creates a friendly vibe. People could play at home but they go there, like going to the coffee shop. As a result they get sales and stay in business (even grow). They just need to learn from video/music stores by diversifying, and creating a reason for people to go to the store physically.

EchoGolfSierra
  • RajioRajio Centurion

@EchoGolfSierra said:

I dunno man. The fact that game sales are shifting to digital doesn't mean there isn't a spot for game retailers. The still have a lot of value. They have to play their cards right to remain relevant and not put on blinders. Just acknowledge that digital sales are a thing and understand that your customers know this.

Sell digital codes in store
    Sell currency cards in store
    Sell games in store with physical extras (stickers, limited editions, etc)
    Hold events (tournaments and stuff)
    etc

A lot of indie shops are starting to do some cool stuff to remain relevant and its working well. One near me does fighting game tournaments regularly for example. Really draws in and creates a friendly vibe. People could play at home but they go there, like going to the coffee shop. As a result they get sales and stay in business (even grow). They just need to learn from video/music stores by diversifying, and creating a reason for people to go to the store physically.

• Lots of people have had that experience. Being told that if they didn't preorder they wouldn't be able to get the game..... That's one of the dumbest things. There are always many copies at all the stores in the area even when EB says they are out and only have preordered copies left.

And Echo, I'm not sure how they will keep up but they seem to be doing OK while other places have gone under. THey do sell a lot of digital currency cards to people who don't have or want to use credit cards online to buy digital games and DLC.

They also sell lots of toys now and they still take in tons of used games which they sell back to people for five dollars less than retail copies.

• @Rajio said:
    Last time I shopped at EB, I walked in to buy a game. They laughed at me for not pre-ordering. Told me it would be impossible to find a copy. I asked them if all their copies were preordered and they said it didnt matter, no preorder, no game. I walked across the street and bought the game in less time than it took to have that conversation.

Its fine if they're sold out. Just say so. Don't laugh at a potential customer and lets not pretend that copies of a major release are somehow scarce. I'm downtown in the largest city in the country. There is at least one shop on every block where i could have bought that game. That was by Eaton Centre, and there are like 10 different shops where I could have gotten the game within a 1 block radius of that EB.

The combination of being laughed at and them pretending the idea that they have a game for sale be so ridiculous really grinded (ground?) my gears.

Ya they definitely have lacked customer service skills....no doubt. That level of arrogance from anyone working in retail in this day and age is fool-hardy...you can always get it someplace...or get it delivered online the next day.

• @Law212 said:
    Lots of people have had that experience. Being told that if they didn't preorder they wouldn't be able to get the game..... That's one of the dumbest things. There are always many copies at all the stores in the area even when EB says they are out and only have preordered copies left.

And Echo, I'm not sure how they will keep up but they seem to be doing OK while other places have gone under. THey do sell a lot of digital currency cards to people who don't have or want to use credit cards online to buy digital games and DLC.

They also sell lots of toys now and they still take in tons of used games which they sell back to people for five dollars less than retail copies.

Agreed Law....but I think their bread and butter has always been the trade in aspect. As less and less people bother with physical copies there are going to be less of that stuff to be had.

And maybe in the GTA you get a lot of indie game stores but Down in london the pickings are pretty slim. You have 3 EB game stores and a couple places to get the really old console stuff and that is it.

• well game companies wanted digital to get popular to combat used games sales. Though game collectors didn't want that. I personally like digital media because it doesn't clutter up your space.

• Yup. I've gone on about EB Games before, and stories like what you guys have posted are reasons I am not a fan and very, very rarely will shop there. The last time I shopped there was in January when I bought that Kitana Action Figure.

The last time I bought a game at EB Games, uh... I think it was when I bought the Collector's Edition of XCOM: Enemy Unknown (PC) for my father in 2012. I think. That was at the location at Brock Rd. and Hwy. 401 in Pickering, and that location has been gone for years now.

@Law212 the location you mentioned, is that the one in the Pickering Town Centre or across from it?

When I bought my Kitana figure, that was at the Pickering Town Centre and I saw they had the Steam Link. I asked about refunds and was not surprised when the clerk told me there were not refunds for it, exchange for defect only. He was not a dick though, at least, was simply being matter of fact.

Generally though, I find EB Games lies constantly to its consumers, flip flops on policies, etc.

Now that I mainly game on PC, I've pretty much gone all digital on my purchases. Back when I was still gaming on consoles, Best Buy was my typical retailer.

• I never understood why game makers felt they deserve used game sale revenue. Does a Ford get a kick-back from every used Ford that is sold over and over again?
    Does a book author get money everytime one of their books are resold at a used book store or flea market??...idiocy!

I also like the clutterless existence that digital affords us Out of the 60+ titles I have for the new PS4 and Xbone I have 4 physical disks and 2 of them came with the consoles...lol

• If it wasn't for uninformed parents buying games for their kids, EB would of been out of business a long time ago...

• Juxt, it was the one across from the mall. There is a guy there, tall, brown short hair with glasses. He seems to always have the same snarky tone about things.

• I used to love going to the one at the mall because there was a cute blonde who worked there.

Sintacs
  • One thing EB does that ALWAYS bothers me is gutting games to get display boxes, then trying to sell you that opened and gutted game as "new" when it's the only one left, which always seems to be the case. I've walked out of that store so many times after seeing them open up the display case and pop a disc in it and ring it up at full price. When I'm paying full price for a new product, I expect it to be sealed, whether it's been played or not is irrelevant if it's been opened. I've even had them say they could go in the back and vacuum wrap it if it was such a big deal for me, like it would somehow suddenly make the game shiny and brand new, never opened. The pre-order thing @Rajio mentioned is ridiculous too, every EB I've been to has been at most, a 3 min walk from another store I could go to for the game, without pre-ordering, with plentiful stock.