This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

USB on PC not working

So last night mysteriously my mouse stopped working. the lights on it were off. Something was up. Tried unplugging it and replugging it in, but no luck. ok weird. tried unplugging all my usb devices and plugging my mouse and kb back in. now neither of them worked. ugh. tried different ports. nothing. rebooted, nothing. rebooted to bios - oh look, my keyboard works fine. So I'm pretty sure its not a hardware issue.

Trying to figure this out but hard to troubleshoot if I cant use a mouse and keyboard. Anybody have any ideas?

This happened before bed which was maddening - how am i supposed to go to sleep with my computer suddenly not working?!

Comments

• That's weird. Did you try a different USB port. Try the mouse in the port your keyboard is in. if none of that works go into device manager settings and check to see if the usb ports are still recognized and not disabled for some reason.

• That's weird. Did you try a different USB port. Try the mouse in the port your keyboard is in. if none of that works go into device manager settings and check to see if the usb ports are still recognized and not disabled for some reason.

• RajioRajio Centurion

Yup, tried mixing and matching ports. I have to figure out how to get to device manager without mouse and keyboard lol. I didnt try TOO many things last night because I have work this morning. I'll see if i can boot in to some kind of safe mode or whatever which may work.

• well also try to plug in to another computer to see if the mouse isn't dead. maybe a power surge fried it.

• Another option, classic NES trick, try blowing on the USB of the mouse and keyboard in case it's simply dirty and not making proper contact.

On rare occasions, I find my Hori pad won't be recognized by my PC, and sometimes a flashdrive as well. Blowing usually fixes this.

Rajio
  • RajioRajio Centurion

@Law212 said:
    well also try to plug in to another computer to see if the mouse isn't dead. maybe a power surge fried it.

Good idea. I've still got my Surface Pro 2 so I can try my stuff with that when I'm home.

• RajioRajio Centurion

Alright my Logitech G410 KB is nwo working (with lights and all) plugged in to my mobo directly. I also have a very basic optical mouse working plugged in next to it. So I can use my PC. I have a powered USB hub plugged in to another port which works fine (had the mouse and kb plugged in there before to test) ... when I plug in my Razer Diamondback mouse to the hub all teh lights go off/dim as if the mouse is sucking up it's power. the hub disconnects from the PC. if I plug the mouse directly in to the PC's usb port, it comes up with some USB power warning, and all usb stops functioning until i reboot.

So it SEEMS like the problem is my Razer Diamondback gaming mouse. I've submitted a ticket with support to see if they'll help with the issue. Tried a game of overwatch with this vanilla mouse and its hard - i got so used to having thumb buttons and shit.

Good news; its not my PC. Bad news; it may be my gaming mouse.

• well that's an easy thing to replace if you need to. Not cheap but easy

• RajioRajio Centurion

Yeah. Not sure how much PC gaming (Read: Overwatch) I'll do until I get a working gaming mouse though - I had come to rely on thumb buttons a LOT.

Might be a good excuse to get back on my Xbox and finish Doom though.

Lets see if Razer comes through with an RMA or fix of some kind.

• @Rajio said:
    So it SEEMS like the problem is my Razer Diamondback gaming mouse.

Maybe it's time to upgrade to something superior? ;)

Rajio