This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

WHC 2016

Are any of you guys watching this....huge game tonight... Canada can eliminate USA and guarantee a spot in the semi's with a win tonight ( in only their second game of the championship tournament

Streaker1978

Comments

• You do mean the 2016 shut out tournament right? Im quite excited for this game, I hope Canada and Europe make the next round

• i've been covering it for work and i've enjoyed watching it as well

cheering for Canada all the way, but i've fallen in love with Team North America

• Build a team to beat Canada. Can only win nothing games in pre tournament or round robins
  • i don't even get the logic behind it

they were kidding themselves when they believed that this team could even compare to Canada

their selections were criticized since the roster was announced

• EchoGolfSierraEchoGolfSierra Centurion
    edited September 2016

If Price hadnt played...Quick is the type of goalie that can carry a team.... I think what really killed them was the creation on the NA team...it took all the American youth... But there is no evidence that they would have made those selections.

1996 was the last time the American's were a serious threat.... and it doesnt look like that will change anytime soon. I think the only reason they won game 1 of the pretournament is Price hadnt played in damn near a year and he was rusty...If Holtby or Crawford had started game 1 Canada would have won that too.

the more I think about it...the creation of a NA team really hurt the USA team on many levels

• Plus wrong coach...Torts is not the guy to build a program quickly, nor motivate players

• or you know

Just sitting around the house tonight w my dog. Felt like I should be doing something important, but couldn't put my finger on it.

— Phil Kessel (@PKessel81) September 21, 2016
  • Lets see...Brian Burke once again promises to build an unbeatable team and fails horrendously... where have we heard this before

• @ReclaimerM3GTR said:
    or you know

Just sitting around the house tonight w my dog. Felt like I should be doing something important, but couldn't put my finger on it.

— Phil Kessel (@PKessel81) September 21, 2016

pretty typical Kessel. He failed to mention he is notoriously fat/overweight/out of shape at the start of each season and he has a wrist injury. And last year was the first year that he has come close to meeting expectations since turning pro

• i thought the Kessel comment was hilarious

and you are wrong about him as a player. he was an elite level scorer for the Leafs and since 2009-10 (when he joined Toronto) to now only four players have more goals than him

he is also nearly a point-per-game player in the playoffs over his career

the overweight stuff is overblown too considering he is extremely fast

he should've been named to the team, but it's true that his wrist injury may have prevented him from participating

• Are we talking about the same guy.....other than last year with Pittsburg ( which I will give you was above average) I see him as an overweight, whiny 30 goals a season guy. I dont classify that as an elite level scorer. And I dont think he was on Team USA because if his historic slow starts and historic bad attitude.
    I am sorry, maybe I am old school but you dont kick a team when they are down. His Sour grapes comment is exactly why he wasnt chosen. I dont even think it would have been an issue if team NA wasnt invented... that stole 5-6 high quality players from USA.

If phil Kessel is one of the best american's in the game then that explains why American hockey sucks.
    I listen to the same whiny BS about PK Subban. The Habs stole Weber in that deal. I like PK as a person but as a player he cant carry Webers jock. People call him one of the elite defenseman in the league??? He isnt good enough to make team canada.

Opinions vary I guess :)

• since when is 30 goals per season bad?

regardless of how you may feel about his character, 207 goals and 453 points in his last 528 games is incredible production

like i said before only Ovechkin, Stamkos, Perry and Pavelski have more goals since the 2009-10 season

that is ELITE

• 30 goals per season isnt bad...but I dont count it as elite. especially not when you are the best on a very bad team and logging 25-28 mins a game. If I was picking 15 forwards to make a team from Kessel wouldnt be one of them.

But that is just me...as I said opinion vary and I fully admit no one has asked me to select the new Las Vegas team. :)

• I don't know...Kessel scores, and from what I hear he is a decent teammate...i get the out of shape at teh beginning of every year...but he does produce...goals are hard to come by in the new NHL...20 goals is the new 40 goals...30 the new 50...it would be hard to pass up a goal scorer...sometimes guys get bad reps...and I think he is one...tough to say if it is deserved or not...he is prickly with the media...but then again so are lots of people

• he only topped 20 minutes of average ice time per game in two of his six seasons with the Leafs (20:03 and 20:40)

there's a difference between an opinion and raw data. the numbers place him in the upper echelon

• why do you hate the guy, man? he's pretty chill and he scores

the media definitely gave him a bad reputation, which was unwarranted

his season in Pittsburgh was actually worse than a lot of the years he had with Toronto, but he got better in the second half before surging in the playoffs

• Holy shit! I love Team North America. Hopefully, Finland wins tomorrow to keep the young guys in the tournament

• @IgnitionCORE said:
    he only topped 20 minutes of average ice time per game in two of his six seasons with the Leafs (20:03 and 20:40)

there's a difference between an opinion and raw data. the numbers place him in the upper echelon

I am an accountant...I dont have your faith in raw numbers...I can make numbers say anything I want. If Raw data is all that mattered we wouldnt need to play the game and fantasy sports would be pretty damn boring.

I also dont buy that 30 goals today is the same as 50 a couple years ago. Goal totals go up and down based on injuries and streaks. There is a dozen guys that can score 50 any year if a few things go right for them.

For example if Price stays healthy Pacoriettie can get 50 goals because teams have to press to get a few and that opens things up for montreal's forwards... but if price is out... Patches numbers are way lower.

There are so many things that come into the equation when you are looking at how effective a team goal scorers could be. So I dont put much into unqualified raw data.

If Kessel is such a great team mate...and such an elite scorer then why wasnt team USA begging him to play?

But again just my opinion... based on what I see and the numbers I look at

• @IgnitionCORE said:
    Holy shit! I love Team North America. Hopefully, Finland wins tomorrow to keep the young guys in the tournament

It is really to bad that NA couldnt pull out a win or a tie against Russia.... I think the fins will be hard pressed to beat Russia

So I think the kids are done....sad as that makes me. It would have been interesting to see see the Canadian kids playing Team Canada in the finals

• the league average for goals has been around 2.70 in each of the last five seasons

we have had three different 50-goal scorers during that time; Stamkos, Malkin and Ovechkin (granted the lockout was one of them)

Stamkos and Malkin haven't gotten back there since 2012-13 and Ovie has been the only 50-goal man in the league in each of the last three years

it is pretty rare now and much harder than you are making it sound

Price being the lineup doesn't make Pacioretty score more either...

• Screw USA and Russia and Europe and North America and Finland and Sweden and Zchecoslovakia (or however it is spelled). YAY the remaining team...

• roflmao ok what ever you say dude :)

• @MSQGanner said:
    YAY the remaining team...

WeTheOther

• Someone is a butthurt Leafs fan

• @ReclaimerM3GTR said:
    Someone is a butthurt Leafs fan

nope Habs fan all the way

• Well that explains it, you just hate him because he's mostly played for your biggest rivals.

Regardless, the Americans made a mistake not picking him. Also, at @EGS. Saying the Americans were screwed because they couldn't pick six underage players is bullshit. Look at that roster they went with big players that could out muscle canada. They didn't go for skill players available like Tyler Johnson, who would have thrived. Instead they picked on purpose sandpapers like players who don't posses offensive talent. Who picks Justin Abdelkader, Brandon Dubinsky and Ryan Callahan(though he did pull out) over Phil Kessel or even Bobby Ryan. When you have guys like Bob McKenzie, Darren Dregger, Elliot Fridman and Kelly Hrudey are puzzled by his omission that says quite a bit. I'm pretty sure those guys know a little more about hockey than you do.

• no I just hate him for the attitude...And I cheer for the leafs as much as I do any team when the habs arent involved probably more. I dont bother with the petty rivalry bs of pro sport...I find it moronic.

I think Cherry summed it up perfectly... with that single tweet Kessel showed why he wasnt welcome on team USA. And Dreger, and Fridman and Hrudey all agreed.

But it isnt me that is all butt hurt and defensive about this asshat....I have repeatedly stated this is just my opinion....just it seems a few others share it. I think Kessel will have a big target on his back for the first 30 games or so of the season.