This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Heroes of the Storm

JuxtaposeJuxtapose Centurion
edited September 2016 in General
This discussion was created from comments split from: What did you Accomplish in Gaming Today?.
Tagged:

Comments

• more of ya'll need to start playing League of Legends

Sintacs
  • With the behavior of the ex LoL guys that play overwatch now...not exactly a ringing endorsement

RajioSmoreninjaJuxtaposeSintacs
  • @EchoGolfSierra said:
    With the behavior of the ex LoL guys that play overwatch now...not exactly a ringing endorsement

Yeah, I was talking with a neighbour yesterday who plays DotA 2, and he said it's very toxic, as are most MOBA communities to the best of his knowledge.

Interestingly, I do have a passing interest in Heroes of the Storm, but I know that community is indeed toxic, so I'll stick with StarCraft II for now.

Also interestingly, I've been having StarCraft II dreams lately, so apparently I'm playing too much. Dreams in which I'm playing the mission I was playing before going to sleep :p.

In one dream though, I did install Heroes of the Storm, and our own @Smoreninja was going to teach me how to play MOBAs.

• Fear not; young Juxthopper. I will teach you my ways of the MOBA arts.
  • I'm not good at MOBA's but I do play a bit of heroes of the storm

• TimothyWedelTimothyWedel Centurion
    edited September 2016
    Heroes of the Storm is a MOBA at its most basic form. You don't need any of the skill or knowledge you need to play say DOTA or League.

Which is why I enjoy a good game of HotS once in a while. It's so relaxing compared to the others.
  • We should form our own ranked team in HotS
  • @Smoreninja @TimothyWedel @Law212 If you guys are serious about that, I'd give it a try.

It's free to play, is it not? And the Heroes you can play as for free cycle around every week or so? I know I should have Artanis since I bought "Legacy of the Void," and doesn't everyone get a free hero, a choice from three, now?

• @Juxtapose said:
    Smoreninja TimothyWedel Law212 If you guys are serious about that, I'd give it a try.

It's free to play, is it not? And the Heroes you can play as for free cycle around every week or so? I know I should have Artanis since I bought "Legacy of the Void," and doesn't everyone get a free hero, a choice from three, now?

Now I know why I got a hero for free.
    I'm down for a few games just give me a time that isn't Wednesday or Thursday.

• @Juxtapose @Smoreninja @Law212 I haven't played in almost a year so I'm not really sure what's going on with the game anymore.

I'm going to down load it tonight and maybe get a couple matches in.
  • @Smoreninja @TimothyWedel @Law212 Okay, I'll download it as well in the next few days and give it a whirl.

FYI I'm taking vaca for two weeks starting Thanksgiving, but my time between now and then is going to be hectic with lots going on. Once I get a better idea of what chunks of time I'll be free, I'll let you all know. This weekend, I think Sunday evening Eastern Time would likely work.

Also remember I've never touched a MOBA before, so I have no idea what I'm doing. I read there's a bit of an SP tutorial in the game, so I'll want to give that a go first, and expect me to use Artanis since he's the only Hero I think I'll own outside of one of the free ones they're giving away.

In terms of the three free ones, any idea on a good way to choose one? As a fan of Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, I know and like all the characters, and was thinking of Anub'Arak since he's from the Scourge and I like them. But, he's the same MOBA class as Artanis, and figured that maybe going a different class would be good.

Ultimately though, I want Kerrigan.

I'm also going to create a Heroes of the Storm thread and break these posts out into it.

• I have a few characters unlocked from the starter pack and from diablo 3 and the expansion. Also you can unlock others from playing the game and getting gold.

I suck at the game but ill play some more and see if I can improve at all.

• Oh, @TimothyWedel , I don't think we're Battle.net Friends yet. I'm Juxtapose#1171.

• This discussion was created from comments split from: What did you Accomplish in Gaming Today?.
  • @Law212 said:
    Also you can unlock others from playing the game and getting gold.

>

Oh, so you don't need to spend real world money to get new Heroes? That's good, though I imagine it'll take some time.

Ultimately then, that'll be how I get Kerrigan hopefully.

What Heroes do you have?

• @Juxtapose said:
    What Heroes do you have?

Kerrigan is one of the cheaper characters at about 4000.
    others are 7000 and the most expensive are 10,000

Id have to go back in game and check but I have about 4 or 5 characters at least.

Juxtapose
  • @Law212 said:
    Id have to go back in game and check but I have about 4 or 5 characters at least.

Nice; hopefully that won't take too long to "grind" to then.

• I have the Demon Hunter from D3 and some Elven Support Archer. I might even own Tyriel
    Juxtapose
  • @TimothyWedel said:
    more of ya'll need to start playing League of Legends

I'm pretty sure I started on that before season 1, played for years, game itself got pretty boring, and the community became so incredibly toxic (including people I played with regularly) that I left. I've been playing Smite since it was in beta and still am, it's much more encaging than LoL ever was, though there's still rage babies and toxic players in it. I tend to play HotS for something more easy going and care-free.

• @Juxtapose said:
    Interestingly, I do have a passing interest in Heroes of the Storm, but I know that community is indeed toxic, so I'll stick with StarCraft II for now.

They've actually done a lot to strip the game of elements that generally create or cause the toxicity in other MOBAs. If you play quick matches, you pick your character then queue to find a team (when playing solo), so that helps eliminate the fighting over characters or raging over what others pick/bad team comps. You don't build items, you don't have people raging about your build, or the starting loadout you pick. You share exp from minion kills and player kills globally, you don't have people raging if you "kill steal" or steal "last hits" on minions. There's also no post-game chat lobby from what I can see, where people almost always flip out on others in MOBAs. It really does a lot to eliminate toxicity, but this is also what simplifies it, and makes it a fairly basic game, not a bad thing though as it's a MOBA I can play to relax after dealing with toxic people on Smite.

Juxtapose
  • @Juxtapose said:
    Ultimately then, that'll be how I get Kerrigan hopefully.

I'll say in advance, she's fairly tough to play. She's a melee assassin, so she's pretty squishy, and doesn't have any real escapes to get out of danger. I've just started working on getting better with her and it can be pretty challenging at times. You'll die a lot, but she can be satisfying once you get better with her.

@Juxtapose said:
    Nice; hopefully that won't take too long to "grind" to then.

Just focus on the "daily quests" once you unlock them (level 5 I think?), you'll be awarded extra gold for doing things like "play 3 games as a Diablo character" etc., these can be completed wither through playing vs players or bots.

• @Sintacs Thanks for all the info man, much appreciated. The fact that the game sounds more "casual" is appealing to me, since I wouldn't be able to dedicate time to going hardcore anyway.

As someone who's never played a MOBA before anyway, I expect to mess up a lot and die a lot early on, but I figure it'll take a bit to earn the Gold to get Kerrigan anyway. For me, I ultimately want to get the characters I like because I think they're cool characters. As a fan of Blizzard Entertainment's games since Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness, there's definitely a good selection for me.

I'm hoping to install the game on Saturday, perhaps, and give a whirl.

I'm thinking for the free Hero, it might be prudent to get a character that isn't a Warrior (?) class like Artanis so I can try different classes. That would rule out Anubarak and mean Thrall or Tyrande.

• One thing I really enjoy is the fact that there is a sandbox mode
  • @Smoreninja said:
    One thing I really enjoy is the fact that there is a sandbox mode

Oh, elaborate please.

• Juxt, Kerrigan with her new skin are free to try right now. I didn't try her out, I just logged in to check what characters I have. I have 6 and I think most are diablo cahracters with a couple star craft ones. Also one is some panda girl .... I have only used the demon hunter from diablo 3 though...who is also free to try right now.

Juxtapose
  • i think i might have to download this...my Bnet tag is Rodneyjb4470#1262

• @Juxtapose said:
    Oh, elaborate please.

Basically you can try out any champion and have control over a bunch of stats (Levels, enemies, allies etc). There is a targeting dummy that shows your DPS and a Healing dummy so you can see how effective your healing is. Handy for trying out builds and just getting the feel for a hero without committing a full length game.

I have also learned you can try skins in the sandbox. So that's neat.

Juxtapose
  • @VanishedNine said:
    i think i might have to download this...my Bnet tag is Rodneyjb4470#1262

I'll add you in the next day or so!

• I read that as "Rodney BJ" when I logged on Battle net and was thoroughly confused.

VanishedNineJuxtapose