This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Winter is coming - Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)

RajioRajio Centurion

So its October now. The weather is getting colder. I broke out my autumn jacket and a few sweaters this week. Shits changing, as usual.

I just ordered a Philips hue lighting kit. Had my eye on this for a while but it was always a little pricey. Then noticed I could get a white version instead of the multicoloured version for about a third of the cost. i could even buy a multicoloured bulb to pair with it and it would still be a better deal. So i went for it.

My idea is to set up the bulbs to turn on gradually in the morning. Dark mornings just make me want to stay in bed and sleep more. I figured I could have these turn on automatically in the morning and gradually get brighter, simulating a sunrise for a nice gentle wakeup and make winter mornings feel less dark and gloomy. I'll try it out for a week and if it doesn't do what I want, I can just return it anyway.

Juxtapose
Tagged:

Comments

• I know a lot of people with SAD, so hopefully the above will help you out.

For me, I love this time of year. Allergy season is finally ending (F you ragweed), no more lawn care to worry about, I'm not a sweaty mess when I step out my door for five seconds, and I can rock my leather jacket. No need for AC either, which is great for the hyrdo bill and soon I'll get to use my gas fireplace.

My turtle also starts to quiet down at this time of year, and in a few months she'll be quasi-hibernating which means less water changes and feedings needed.

Overall, I have far more free time in Fall and Winter, and the temp is more to my liking by far.

The major con for me is I do not like getting up when it's still dark, and sucks to come home in darkness too.

• DoosDoos Centurion

I have to load up on Vitamin D in the winter. I work a lot of nights as is so winter time kills me if I don't watch out. I'll wake up feeling like a bag of assholes, knees weak and feeling arthritic. All because of a lack of sunlight (and water). Like a fucking houseplant, yo.

• @Doos said:
    I have to load up on Vitamin D in the winter. I work a lot of nights as is so winter time kills me if I don't watch out. I'll wake up feeling like a bag of assholes, knees weak and feeling arthritic. All because of a lack of sunlight (and water). Like a fucking houseplant, yo.

I actually need to take Vitamin D supplements year round due to my health.

• DoosDoos Centurion

I'm trying to think of something funny to say but Crohns is a motherfucker, yo.

• I love fall. It's the "new game release" season. Plus all interresting sports leagues (football, hockey, Basketball)and tv shows start their season... then comes the best season of all, winter, 'cause bears goes to sleep instead of trying to eat us...

Juxtapose
  • @Doos said:
    I'm trying to think of something funny to say but Crohns is a motherfucker, yo.

Dude, tell me about it. I'm happy to say my new treatment seems to be working well at the moment. I go back to the clinic for my next infusion this coming Wednesday.

• RajioRajio Centurion

Does taking Vitamin D help with SAD? are there side effects?

• @Rajio said:
    Does taking Vitamin D help with SAD? are there side effects?

No side effects provided your not overdosing on it. One pill a day of 1000 AU should do it.

I'm not sure if it'll help with SAD though, but I doubt it'd hurt!

• the wife bought one of those lights and used it all winter.....she loved it...me I just perfer to sleep all winter and dream of bow-legged women

Streaker1978Juxtapose