This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

3ds XL

Man after playing with my nephew's 3DSXL the other day I was shocked at how slick this machine is. Then I hit the virtual console and fell deeper in lust for this device. So I grabbed one yesterday and a few games....wow Ninetendo really stepped up with this device. Up to 32 gig of extra storage with Micro SD. Easily Replacable battery pack. wifi, built in google chrome browser.

This isnt the locked down Handheld I was expecting. And I havent even started looking into homebrew modded game cartridges to load up music or movies fast and dirty.

I believe the DS was the number one selling gaming console of all time. mostly because of how easily it was to mod and use it for multiple things. I think Nintendo quickly figured that out and embraced it....also nice that it will play lots of 2ds or 3ds games. and the virtual games are like $5-10 bucks or less...

Comments

• Law212Law212 Centurion

Oh you work for Nintendo now....?

MSQGannerSintacs
  • not in the slightest.....I was just shocked by this device....nice to see a company adapting and changing yet stay true to their roots.

I am not your typical nintendo customer...but I am starting to take notice of them

• Law212Law212 Centurion

I'm not a fan of handheld gaming at all, but I think the Wii U is pretty awesome.

• 3DS is a great but it's a shame that it only has one joystick...but it also has a great selection of games...but the 3D part doesnt always work well...but it has Micro SD...but it's mostly Mario and Pokemons... but it'sa him Mario (and Pokemons for you Millenials)..lol

EchoGolfSierraSintacs
  • @Law212 said:
    I'm not a fan of handheld gaming at all, but I think the Wii U is pretty awesome.

I am not typically a fan of handheld games.....except when I am mobile. and I have gotten tired of killing my phone battery by gaming on it. My phone lasts me 2-3 days between charges if I dont play any games and dont connect to Bluetooth. So now I will just throw my 3ds in my pocket and can game my ass off when I am in the truck parked waiting for the wife etc.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

I don't play phone games either. I don't usually find I need to play games when I'm out.

• The nice thing about winter is I have a pocket where my 3DS fits.
    EchoGolfSierraRajio
  • @Smoreninja said:
    The nice thing about winter is I have a pocket where my 3DS fits.

exactly

• I assume you're talking the "New" 3DS, the virtual console on the original consisted of NES and GB/GBC games, and none of them were especially noteworthy. Only the "New" 3DS has SNES games available.

@EchoGolfSierra said:
    nice to see a company adapting and changing yet stay true to their roots.

I mean, if you like buying a new device every year or two when they release revisions with exclusive content... I have an original 3DS XL and it's pretty much a dust collector. Sure, I played a few really awesome games on it, but that was very early on in it's life cycle, the only recent games I've purchased for it were "Kirby: Triple Deluxe" and "The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds" (ended up bored with this one and haven't really played it since launch month).

@MSQGanner said:
    3DS is a great but it's a shame that it only has one joystick

That's only so they could initially sell the Circle Pad Pro, and a revised model of the system later, they gotta half-aass it to make more money later, this is Nintendo we're talking about after all.

@MSQGanner said:
    but the 3D part doesnt always work well

They improved it with the "New" 3DS.

@MSQGanner said:
    but it has Micro SD

I love this about it, it's the one thing I absolutely hate about the Vita, proprietary memory that's expensive as hell.

@MSQGanner said:
    but it's mostly Mario and Pokemons

Does it have any noteworthy Mario games though? I haven't really cared about Pokémon since Red/Blue, but I can't think of a single Mario game for the 3DS that wasn't just a rehash of the "New Super Mario Bros" stuff they started with on the DS.

Overall I'm not a huge fan of the current state of the 3DS, it started off kind of OK, then just kind of went downhill for me. I've had mine since 2012 and still only own 7 physical games for it. I definitely would have appreciated an additional stick in the original model, it would have made "Resident Evil Revelations" far more enjoyable (though it was still a great game, just not something you need a 3DS to play anymore). Though to be fair, I did originally buy my 3DS for portable Dead or Alive, and it was great for that at the time.

Funny thing though, with all what I've said, and my hate of revised models, I probably will grab a "New" 3DS at some point (the galaxy purple one is pretty neat looking), as improved 3D functionality and a second stick will be nice to have. I don't need it for portable SNES games or anything because I can just load ROMs of those onto my GCW-Zero.

Some personal digital recommendations for games Id make are:
    Mighty Switch Force (2)
    Shantae: Risky's Revenge/Pirate's Curse
    Liberation Maiden
    Cave Story
    Nano Assault Ex

If anybody wants to add me as a friend on there, this is my friend code:

0516-8586-4805

Let me know if you add me and I'll ad you as well.

• @MSQGanner said:
    3DS is a great but it's a shame that it only has one joystick...but it also has a great selection of games...but the 3D part doesnt always work well...but it has Micro SD...but it's mostly Mario and Pokemons... but it'sa him Mario (and Pokemons for you Millenials)..lol

The 3ds on the New 3DS compared to the 3DS and 3DS XL is way better. I've literally purchased 3 different 3DS(3DS, 3DS XL and just last week New 3DS XL). I'd much rather play my 3DS than any game on my xbox one. I have several games with 100 hours of play time on them.

@Ganner, youre also forgetting Fire Emblem. While the games aren't as inventive as the DS, the system as a whole has a fantastic library of games.

EchoGolfSierra
  • I added you Sintacs....any and all are free to add me as well 0405-0719-6954

Sintacs
  • So, i added you guys and my FC is 2578-3231-2863

@ReclaimerM3GTR indeed... and there's also Zelda

@Sintacs Most Mario are fun... Mario Kart, NSM2, and Mario 3D World been the ones i tried and quite liked.

Then there's Kingdom Hearts 3, Kid Icarus, Starfox and the Zelda games which are also quite fun.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

Most Mario ARE fun. I want to play the new one for Wii U where youre painting the place.

• @MSQGanner said:
    So, i added you guys and my FC is 2578-3231-2863

@ReclaimerM3GTR indeed... and there's also Zelda

@Sintacs Most Mario are fun... Mario Kart, NSM2, and Mario 3D World been the ones i tried and quite liked.

Then there's Kingdom Hearts 3D, Kid Icarus, Starfox and the Zelda games which are also quite fun.

Got your back

• Welcome to like, 9000 years ago. It is pretty cool even though mine is like, under a couch somewhere in my house.

Sintacs
  • @WhorrorLoLz said:
    Welcome to like, 9000 years ago. It is pretty cool even though mine is like, under a couch somewhere in my house.

As Negasonic Teenage Warhead would say "Fuck you're old"

• OzziOzzi Centurion
    I love my 3DS, but it is a bit of a dust collector now. I will go through spurts of playing it a ton for a bit then it will sit in its spot for a few months.

The Mrs plays a shit ton on her 3DS, lots of pokemon and animal crossing