This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Hearthstone

I couldn't find a Hearthstone section (I didn't look too hard, but I looked), and I'm just wondering if anyone on here is into it at all. I'm a big fan of the game, however I don't get a lot of time to play it, and I joined late in the second season so I'm only rank 20ish, but I'm quite excited to get more into it with the 'Mean Streets of Gadgetzan' update.

Also, did anyone listen to the 'Hearthstone Murloc Yule Log'? It's pretty great, and it sure got me into the holiday spirit.

Comments

• I'm very on and off about Hearthstone. It's nice on the train but I don't really play it at home
  • it is on my list of things to try....but my backlog is epic

• DoosDoos Centurion

I play it a little nearly every day. I can usually make it to rank 10 in a season if I try a bit.. depending on the meta. Never hit legend. Had 11 wins in arena once. I also open 40 gadgetzan packs that I bought with my hoarded gold and I got 4 legendaries! Best I've ever done for Legendaries in an expansion! Woo!_

• Holy crap, Hearthstone is just throwing card packs at me now. I just did three challenges and got three packs for beating them and now I just need to play 30 cards for three more packs.

• DoosDoos Centurion

Yeah, the pack quests were a great addition to this expansion.

Apparently there was also issue with the frequency the tri class cards were being distributed in packs so they gave out 33% of your total packs bought as a fix.

So like I'd bought like 30 packs so they gave me 13 extra packs. All in the span of 12hrs which I thought was really great. From problem being identified, reported and fixed. 12hrs.. not too shabby.

• I jumped back on this game earlier this month and got like 20 "wlecome back" packs :smiley: I think my highest is around rank 13

• DoosDoos Centurion

Yeah, NA was down recently so I played on my EU account and the amount of free packs they were throwing around in quests is pretty good. Good for new players, that's for sure. Hard game to start in these days with all the expansions and shit.

• I've been playing with Hearthstone on my train commutes now, and I'm having fun with it. Just playing Practice to unlock more Heroes so far.

I like Jaina, Uther, and Valeera thus far, did not like Thrall at all, and thought Gul'dan was meh. Haven't tried the others yet, and still have to unlock Garrosh and Anduin.

For deck building, I tried using the game's deck advisor, but I noticed it doesn't seem to include all the cards (I like NightBlade, comes in handy, but never shows up this way), so I need to take the time to do my own decks.

Any tips on deck building?

I also have no idea how to enchant cards, but I know this exists.

• DoosDoos Centurion
    edited February 15

As a new player I recommend you watch Trump Teachings. They are pretty old now but they still stand up for the basics of Hearthstone play.

Also, play all classes up to level 10.

JuxtaposeAnThMaN
  • @Doos said:
    As a new player I recommend you watch Trump Teachings. They are pretty old now but they still stand up for the basics of Hearthstone play.

Also, play all classes up to level 10.

Thanks @Doos, I'll watch this on lunch. And yeah, that's my goal. I'm mainly playing as Uther right now and he's Level 5, but just Practice games.

Also in Solo Adventures, there's Blackrock, Adventures (both of which I can't play unless I buy, apparently) and also the Medivh one, which I seem to be able to play. But when I tried it I was Medivh with lots of different cards; not my decks at all...

• I wouldn't play Blackrock as a new player, that shits gonna be wild in a few months. Play the other 2 first.

Juxtapose
  • DoosDoos Centurion

Those are PVE adventures, Jux. You win 'em and they give you cards. If you save up enough in game gold you can buy em with that otherwise they cost real life fun bucks. Most of them operate with different sets of rules kind of and different hero powers and they will sometimes have prebuilt decks that you have to use.

They're fun. As Anth mentions, don't buy Blackrock as it's about to be rotated out of standard play in the next few months. Standard being the normal 'competitive' game mode, Wild being the 'Use all the cards we've printed so far!!' mode. Standard only has the last bunch of expansions and adventure cards. Wild has ALL the cards.

• @Doos said:
    Those are PVE adventures, Jux. You win 'em and they give you cards. If you save up enough in game gold you can buy em with that otherwise they cost real life fun bucks. Most of them operate with different sets of rules kind of and different hero powers and they will sometimes have prebuilt decks that you have to use.

They're fun. As Anth mentions, don't buy Blackrock as it's about to be rotated out of standard play in the next few months. Standard being the normal 'competitive' game mode, Wild being the 'Use all the cards we've printed so far!!' mode. Standard only has the last bunch of expansions and adventure cards. Wild has ALL the cards.

So wait, and this is anti-DLC me talking: You're saying they have premium card packs that you purchase which are eventually rendered unusable in proper competitive play?

Also, what's the Arena?

• DoosDoos Centurion
    edited February 16

Yes, that's what I'm saying. In an effort to curb the ridiculous power levels that some of their cards have, they've been rotating the expansions out of 'Standard' play. They are still available in 'Wild'. I don't even think you can purchases some of the adventures and stuff any more.. the ones that have already been rotated out.

Arena is available at some point, the game will guide you to it when it's available, I believe. In Arena you are presented with 3 cards. You pick one. Repeat 30 times. Then you play against other people who have done the same. Random decks, basically. It costs 150 gold to enter, you can win a max. of 12 times. 3 losses and you're out. You break even (rewards equal about 150 gold) at about 4.5 wins I think? I can't remember.

If you're good at it you can become an 'Infinite' arena player, meaning you always earn enough gold to keep playing and winning more gold and cards and dust.

If you're decent in Arena it's by far the best way to unlock cards and get gold. If not, join the rest of us plebs in ranked play, eeking out wins as we can.

Juxtapose
  • @Doos Thanks. So basically, don't buy anything other than Standard card packs or it'll be wasted one day.

Arena is available, actually, which is why I inquired about it. There's no description on what it is though, and I haven't clicked on it yet.

So I take it "Play" is Multiplayer only, both Casual and Ranked? Solo Adventure I figured out, and basically Practice is the only thing in there for me now.

I just got Uther to Level 10. Working on Jaina now.

• DoosDoos Centurion

Yeah, that's all correct. If you click on Arena it'll probably give you a break down and, I believe, a free run.

There's also Tavern Brawl that is available 5 days a week, I think? Where it'll give you a different objective or way to build a deck or some weird power etc. and you face off against people. It can be a fun place to do your daily quests or play against a friend. When you win your first match you get a free card pack per brawl.

Juxtapose
  • I had played a bit before...but re-downloaded on my new computer this morning

• DoosDoos Centurion

It's not noob friendly currently but if youre playing low ranks you should still be able to win some games. Favorable trading can take you a long ways over card quality. But there's definitely some cards that are significantly better than their counterparts that cost the same.

When I first started, a card like 'Knife Juggler' used to blow my mind. Watching a Druid do their 9 mana 14 Damage burst with Savage Roar/Force of Nature for the first time I was like 'What the fuck just happened to me!'

They nerfed that shit though but I digress. Mmm.. knife juggler combos still make me feel good.

Juxtapose