This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Blizzard Entertainment Game Night

Comments

• Sadly, I don't have a mic for my PC.

• I guesss I need someone to review the game footage and tell me what I wasnt doing because I think I spent more time pissing off my teammates then my opposition :)

• @EchoGolfSierra said:
    I guesss I need someone to review the game footage and tell me what I wasnt doing because I think I spent more time pissing off my teammates then my opposition :)

First off I want to thank both @EchoGolfSierra and @Sintacs for the games last night. It was a lot of fun, and @EchoGolfSierra, I'm sorry that one teammate started ripping on you.

It's toxicity like that (and greater) that I like to avoid since it accomplishes nothing.

I'll actually be posting the matches we played once I get them uploaded over the weekend, but since their all from my view I'm going to see about finding a place to upload the Replay itself for people to download.

I think what that one guy was regularly getting angry about was on the Haunted Mines map, when the Mines opened and we all went in to kill the monsters and collect those skulls, you oft remained in a Lane killing Minions. With this game in particular, I typically find it best to follow and back up the team, especially on larger efforts, even if I disagree with what they're doing. So if the team is pursuing map objects, I leave a lane to help them. If they're pushing the enemy's base instead, I'll abandon the objective and do that with them.

I also try to use Pings and sometimes text to convey things/give directions/ask for direction.

I played a game with four randoms afterwards, and there was no real communication happening, people were doing their own thing while the other team was well coordinated, and we lost as well. I'll post that match too.

Then went and played against the AI without abusing self-pings and won, so yeah.

What I'm thinking for next time is we'll do a game or so against the AI to warm up (as we were all rusty; I certainly wasn't at the top of my game either), and then try a Quick Match or so.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

Lol echo got in trouble by a 14 year old online

Rajio
  • Here's the two Quick Matches that @Sintacs and @EchoGolfSierra and I played Thursday night.

We definitely get owned the first game, but we each play better the next.

In the first game I foolishly had Camera Follow on which restricted my viewing when moving; disabled that for the second game.

I also couldn't find a good replay hosting site for Heroes of the Storm, so if anyone wants the replay(s) I can always email them to you since the above videos are only from my perspective.

• @Law212 said:

Ya I didnt lose much sleep over it...trust me. But seriously no one wants to be the weak link in a game. The strategy I read for my dude basically said to farm kills in the lane until you hit lvl 10. Ya boring but it kind of made sense. I am range support. But if that is old strategy I am all for learning new strategy... :)

to be honest I hand't played Hots since Christmas and I think those were my first quick matches....like ever... Perhaps my strategy is great against AI only opposition.
    But that is exactly why I am excited about Discord. I can follow instructions like a soldier ( mostly cause I was one) but I am old with bad eyes....and reading text and understanding maps takes a while. Literally the first couple times they spawned I didnt have a clue how to get in the mines. Ta I know....what a noob!

So ya no big deal...if my dog hadnt started whining to go out....I would have played for a while more. But I guess things mostly broke down when I left

Juxtapose
  • @EchoGolfSierra said:

@Law212 said:

Ya I didnt lose much sleep over it...trust me. But seriously no one wants to be the weak link in a game. The strategy I read for my dude basically said to farm kills in the lane until you hit lvl 10. Ya boring but it kind of made sense. I am range support. But if that is old strategy I am all for learning new strategy... :)

to be honest I hand't played Hots since Christmas and I think those were my first quick matches....like ever... Perhaps my strategy is great against AI only opposition.
    But that is exactly why I am excited about Discord. I can follow instructions like a soldier ( mostly cause I was one) but I am old with bad eyes....and reading text and understanding maps takes a while. Literally the first couple times they spawned I didnt have a clue how to get in the mines. Ta I know....what a noob!

So ya no big deal...if my dog hadnt started whining to go out....I would have played for a while more. But I guess things mostly broke down when I left

For strategy, especially in competitive play, check the Heroes of the Storm lead I tagged you in.

I linked to a Raynor page on a good site. One section of it breaks down what Raynor should generally be doing in all phases of the game.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

I'm not great at the game either. Id play just as well as you echo so ....

• Morning all,

Just a reminder about our Game Night for Diablo II: Lord of Destruction today starting at 4:00 pm Eastern.

When I set the schedule for this I didn't realize it was Super Bowl Sunday since I don't pay attention to such things, but hopefully a few of you can make it.

At 4:00 pm Eastern I'll log on to Battle.net Classic and create a Private Channel called "Delay of Game." After a few minutes I'll create a Private Game called, coincidentally, "Delay of Game" with a password of "d0g1171" where the "0" is the number.

I'll play for about an hour and if no one joins me I'll move on to something else.

I'll be playing with my Assassin who is at Level 10, in Act I.

Hope to see you there!

@Sintacs @Lactos @EchoGolfSierra @Law212

• I will try Jux, not sure what the wife has planned for this afternoon....I also need to debug a problem where the game wont go full screen anymore and I can no longer see my health and mana pools etc

• @EchoGolfSierra said:
    I will try Jux, not sure what the wife has planned for this afternoon....I also need to debug a problem where the game wont go full screen anymore and I can no longer see my health and mana pools etc

That's odd indeed. Did you do anything to modify the game's resolution, or are you using the default set-up (800x600)?

• SintacsSintacs Centurion
    edited February 2017

Everybody make sure that you have patched the game, many of the issues with it are fixed with the patch. Do not the game will no longer patch itself when you try to connect to Battle.net, so you will need to manually download and install the patch from here or here. The digital version of the game does not come patched, so if that's the one you are using, you will still need to patch.

Also! Don't forget that the Battle.net account you use for Diablo II is not the same one you use for the Battle.net site and the Blizzard launcher, it is a completely separate account, so unless you have played Diablo II in the past month, you will need to make a new account.

Juxtapose
  • I have a game up now, the name is DoG, the password is passtheword

• Nevermind my last post about the game room, didn't notice @Juxtapose posted info about the room already.

• I tried guys I seem to be having a resolution problem with the load screen...it seems to be loading 600x800 so I cant select anything at the bottom of the screen. But when I boot into a single player game the resolution now seems fine. Only the screens where you select singleplayer....multiplayer...battlenet etc

• SintacsSintacs Centurion
    edited February 2017

@EchoGolfSierra I get that sometimes when I start it, restarting the game seemed to fix it. Did you patch your game? You could just play windowed. All you need to do is add -w into the target of one of your shortcuts for the game, so:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo II\Diablo II.exe" -w

for example.

If we do a D2 night again, some useful commands for those who may not have played it online back in the day:

Add friend:
    /f a name
    Example: /f a Sintacs

Friend list:
    /f l
    This will display all friends, and show what games or chat channels they are in.

Friend message:
    /f m message
    Example: /f m yall suck
    This will whisper "yall suck" to everybody on your friend list, it's the easiest way to communicate as you don't need to type names. I'm lazy, everybody else is lazy, we all used this back in the day, even if we were just talking to 1 person.

Only pick up items when they're highlighted (in-game only):
    /nopickup
    This will prevent you from picking up items normally. To pick up items, you will need to highlight them on the ground by holding ALT, then click the name of the items you wish to pick up. It can be very useful later on when there's a lot of trash dropping and you don't want to clutter your inventory.

• I finally got it so I can join a game using compatibility mode

• @Sintacs said:
    Everybody make sure that you have patched the game, many of the issues with it are fixed with the patch. Do not the game will no longer patch itself when you try to connect to Battle.net, so you will need to manually download and install the patch from here or here. The digital version of the game does not come patched, so if that's the one you are using, you will still need to patch.

Also! Don't forget that the Battle.net account you use for Diablo II is not the same one you use for the Battle.net site and the Blizzard launcher, it is a completely separate account, so unless you have played Diablo II in the past month, you will need to make a new account.

One correction for the above is that the game does indeed auto-patch when you connect to Battle.net the first time, but it might give you an error message. If it does, restart the game as an administrator and this will resolve the issue and bring you to the latest version.

You should no longer need to play as an administrator after that.

• @EchoGolfSierra said:
    I finally got it so I can join a game using compatibility mode

That's good. Are you playing vanilla Diablo II or do you have the expansion installed as well? The core game only supports 640x480, but the expansion has 800x600, which should work fine with Windows 10.

• Thanks to @Sintacs and his lady for the game, it was fun! The Battle.net Classic servers for the game seemed to go down for about ten minutes around 5:00 pm, but outside of that the experience was pretty seamless and classic.

• @Juxtapose said:
    That's good. Are you playing vanilla Diablo II or do you have the expansion installed as well? The core game only supports 640x480, but the expansion has 800x600, which should work fine with Windows 10.

I can confirm I've had no issues with games running in 640x480 on Windows 10. I've played quite a few (including D2) and they all ran just fine full screen.

Juxtapose
  • this was a wild ass bug. The game and expansion operated wonderfully last week. Then something changed and the load screens started loading 600x800 so I could see the entire screen or scroll. But when I got in a singleplayer game I could select the correct resolution and run full screen again.

The glitch was I hadnt selected a battlenet character yet and current on those load screens. Finally as I started dropping and an out of game mode ( by hitting windows key) the resolution finally defaulted correctly...and I could enter.

Unfortunately between an early dinner and the bug...it was 630 before I got in. But I now have a hardcore lvl 6 barb saved on the battlenet servers ( until they delete him) if we ever try to do this again.

• We were just playing Ladder, non-hardcore. I me and the Mrs. got to around lvl 12, I think @Juxtapose was around 15 or so.

• Oh wow didn't realize this was a thing! Can I join in on the fun?? I have a serious addiction Hearthstone lol. But wouldn't mind a solid group for Heroes of the Storm.

Xbox: Diablo III
    PC: Starcraft II HOTS, HOTS, Hearthstone, WOW

Side note: I can't wait for Gwent to hit Xbone
  • @AnThMaN said:
    Oh wow didn't realize this was a thing! Can I join in on the fun?? I have a serious addiction Hearthstone lol. But wouldn't mind a solid group for Heroes of the Storm.

Xbox: Diablo III
    PC: Starcraft II HOTS, HOTS, Hearthstone, WOW

Side note: I can't wait for Gwent to hit Xbone

Of course man, it'd be great to play with you.

We'll be doing Heroes of the Storm next in three weeks. In a week we'll be playing Diablo III: Reaper of Souls, but on PC.

I'd be down for some StarCraft II, of course, and @Doos plays lots of Hearthstone.

What's Gwent?

• @Juxtapose Have you ever played The Witcher 3? It's a card based strategy game like Hearthstone that was playable within The Witcher and it received so much praise that CD Projekt Red is making a standalone version for PC/Xbone.

• Where can I find al yous' Battle.net tags or emails?

• @AnThMaN said:
    @Juxtapose Have you ever played The Witcher 3? It's a card based strategy game like Hearthstone that was playable within The Witcher and it received so much praise that CD Projekt Red is making a standalone version for PC/Xbone.

I have not, I actually missed out on Witcher III: The Wild Hunt since it was a lengthy RPG.

I did install Hearthstone on my phone and just tried it this morn for the first time. It's fun thus far!

• @AnThMaN said:
    Where can I find al yous' Battle.net tags or emails?

Much earlier in the thread, but for convenience's sake, mine is Juxtapose#1171 .

You can go through my Friend's List then and add the bunch of us (names are typically the same as on this board).