This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Official Nintendo Switch thread

I am sure this will get renamed later :)

Well who is pre-ordering???
What did people think about the presentation???
What are you excited about or pissed off about?

Let's discuss....

Comments

• Well, I know my brother and friend are pre-ordering it today, I wish they Nintendo showed off real games, not the BS gimmick ones like 1,2 Switch and ARMS.

Breath of the Wild looks unreal. I have been that excited for a Zelda game since Twilight Princess

• Law212Law212 Centurion

@EchoGolfSierra said:
    I am sure this will get renamed later :)

Well who is pre-ordering???
    What did people think about the presentation???
    What are you excited about or pissed off about?

Let's discuss....

After seeing the game trailers (I didn't watch the presentation) I really want to preorder one. It looks awesome and tons of fun. That tetris game looks amazing. The Mario game looks amazing, Splatoon looks great, the new Zelda game looks awesome.

The mini controllers though, no matter how much they try to say they fit in the palm of your hand comfortably , I just don't believe it at all. THey look very uncomfortable.

• I just preordered the console and Zelda.

I dont have a big issue with the joy controllers...and they also come with an add on wrist strap that males the l1 and r1 buttons bigger on the individual controllers...
    I can see me using a pro controller for most of my switch gaming....except mario kart 8...and maybe splatoon. Those splatoon controllers look hillarious

• My brother preordered the switch today at EB games, he brought in his Wii U and 15 games(4 xbox one, 10 Wii U and 1 3DS), the pro controller, two Wii Plus remotes and Nunchucks and he got almost 700 dollars in credit towards the Switch and Switch games and accesories. They're really pushing trade in towards the Switch.

We Spend an hour and half there. Sadly the credit he had left over got cut in half for what he didn't use on the switch.

• I'm skeptical about the Switch. A tablet that plays games and can hook up to your TV is, in and of itself, nothing that Android and Apple aren't already providing.

It feels like too little, too late, to me. If the Wii U had been like this (as everyone hoped/thought it would be), Nintendo might have been able to stay in the game...

How can a Nintendo tablet with full-priced games compete with Android/Apple tablet markets that carry (arguably more popular) games that are largely free or a-couple-of-bucks?

• Law212Law212 Centurion

Lol that is arguable. I don't think that apple and android have apps that are as good as Mario Oddyssey and the new Zelda game and even as good as Mario kart and smash and so on.

Personally I like the console for the games. And I think the only new console I would get is the new Nintendo because it has games that the other consoles don't get but are extremely fun.

I don't think Nintendo is trying to compete with the tablet market. They are in the console gaming market and the full priced games are generally more fun than the millions of iterations of call of duty and madden.

Id rather pay full price for the Zelda game than another so called AAA call of duty.

• You all know how much of a Nintendo fanboy/apologist I am but I just can't anymore. They have tarnished their name far beyond repair for me. Maybe one day I'll get it but not for a while.

I went into the event thinking "all they have to do is hit $399 and I am in" and somehow they still messed it up.

• RajioRajio Centurion

I've got one preordered. though it said its shipping march 31 so may not have it for launch. Still not sure if I want it really, or want it yet. I may not keep my preorder, opting to wait. Not super sold on the games announced so far so may be just as happy waiting until later in the year.

• A quick look at BestBuy.ca has the Nintendo Switch at $400.

An Xbox One S (the new one with 4k support) is $330.

A PlayStation 4 is $380 (Well $350, sale ending Jan 19)

I've watched some video of the new Zelda game running on that premium $400 new Nintendo system... it almost looks worse than last gen, and the frame rate is horrible...

Listen, I'm not any sort of Nintendo hater or anything like that, but this is the console business as it has always been, time immemorial. So many great systems have died because they weren't able to get the right balances (not always their fault).

I've felt the pain... our home has had a GameCube, a Wii, and a PS Vita...

• SintacsSintacs Centurion

I'm thinking I should have jumped on the initial wave of pre-orders to get one on launch, then resell it on ebay for more than I paid. I'm sure it'll be hard to find for a while, Nintendo always shorts on their launch shipments. As for if I'll be getting one, that all depends on the games it gets. As it stands, there is no reason for me to buy one. Honestly, I only bought the Wii U for Bayonetta 2, damn that was an expensive game :neutral:

EchoGolfSierra
  • Law212Law212 Centurion

Ill wait. I don't need one right away. Ill wait until the second wave hit.
    Nintendo consoles are a great second gaming platform to a pc.

EchoGolfSierra
  • @Mecandes said:
    A quick look at BestBuy.ca has the Nintendo Switch at $400.

An Xbox One S (the new one with 4k support) is $330.

A PlayStation 4 is $380 (Well $350, sale ending Jan 19)

I've watched some video of the new Zelda game running on that premium $400 new Nintendo system... it almost looks worse than last gen, and the frame rate is horrible...

Listen, I'm not any sort of Nintendo hater or anything like that, but this is the console business as it has always been, time immemorial. So many great systems have died because they weren't able to get the right balances (not always their fault).

I've felt the pain... our home has had a GameCube, a Wii, and a PS Vita...

I think you are comparing apples and oranges here
    xbone s 1tb with a game runs you $450
    ps4 pro $500 without a game 1tb

those are the two top of the line consoles presently being offered from MS and sony... dont quote me the discounted bargain basement crap. Those are the realistic reasonable costs for the current minimal acceptable competition consoles.

The switch comes in at $399
    Size is no where near the issue with Nintendo's since everything runs off cartridges. So worse case if you dont have a big SD card you buy hardcopies of games and leave the digital stuff for the virtual consoles.

MS and Sony dont give you that option. I go buy a disk I have to have the hard drive space to unpack it onto my HD. That is why anything less then 1 TB for a Sony or MS console is a waste of time.

I am not saying the Switch compares to either of those consoles graphically...but I think it is a console that will find a home in a lot of game lovers collections. Mario run, Pokemon go will just remind or reintroduce a lot of gamers Nintendo. I am confident saying the Switch will outsell the Wii and be a financial success for Nintendo. Frankly, they have the best list of exclusives coming out on any console this year ( even though I think their immediate launch titles are week)

• @Rajio said:
    I've got one preordered. though it said its shipping march 31 so may not have it for launch. Still not sure if I want it really, or want it yet. I may not keep my preorder, opting to wait. Not super sold on the games announced so far so may be just as happy waiting until later in the year.

ya both best buy and EB games had that originally because they dont trust Nintendo ton deliver enough launch day consoles.
    as Sintacs says....I think am all in at $531 console and Zelda...some one comes at me with $900 or $1000. It will be hard to say no. Because most of the titles I want are coming out later in the year.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

I love that now console gamers are all about hardware. When I used to compare PC hardware to consoles, I always got the "its not about the hardware its about the games" argument, and now I see someone saying that the new nintendo cant compete because it doesn't have hardware as advanced as MS and Sony put in their console....

Having a PC, the PS4 and XBONE don't interest me. Though the Nintendo consoles do because they have games that are different enough from the main PC, MS and Sony games and that's why I want one. I don't have a ton of Wii U games, but the ones I do have are really fun. I probably have 10 or so, as opposed to 500 + on PC and maybe 100 on xbox 360. but they are games that those systems don't get and are really fun to play.

I really don't think Nintendo tries to compete wit the main consoles to get the attention of the call of duty crowd. They seem to go their own way and make games they want to make. And I for one think they are great for doing that.

EchoGolfSierraflower_petals
  • @EchoGolfSierra said:
    dont quote me the discounted bargain basement crap. Those are the realistic reasonable costs for the current minimal acceptable competition consoles.

Nah, I don't agree with your argument here at all. (Comparing the Switch to the higher-end consoles only makes the Switch look worse in comparison anyway.) But you are right about this being a comparison of apples and oranges:

Xbox One
    : $330 - 1080p games, 4k video - 500GB storage - TV screen - 1020 games
    PS4: $380 - 1080p games, 4k video - 500GB storage - TV screen - 1294 games
    Switch: $400 - 1280x720 (1080p only if docked) - 32GB storage - 6.2" screen - 64 games
    iPad mini 2: $330 - 2048x1536 - 32GB storage - 7.9" screen - over 630,000 games
    iPad Air 2: $500 - 2048x1536 - 32GB storage - 9.7" screen - over 630,000 games
    Galaxy Tab A: $400 - 1920x1200 - 16GB storage - 10.1" screen - over 1 million games

(On one hand the other tablets have cameras and do a lot more than gaming, while on the other hand the Switch includes a dock and a controller.)

The Switch is clearly not even close to competing with home consoles, but even when you compare it to its real competition -- tablets -- it doesn't really measure up that well. It really all comes down to the games -- are you happy paying a premium price for a lesser machine just to play a few exclusive Nintendo games? Then it will be worth the price and you will be happy. If you're a Nintendo fan, you'll buy it... the question is, will anyone else?

• Law212Law212 Centurion

A lesser machine... I guess XBONE and ps4 are also lesser machines then. compared to current hardware available to PCs.

I like how youre comparing the number of games between a machine not out yet and machines that have a few years behind them .

the fact is that Nintendo makes some really fun and unique games that aren't on other systems.

the fact is, you can have great couch multiplayer experiences on Nintendo systems that you cant on a tablet.....

ive seen some ridiculous comparisons and arguments, but this one is up there.

• Mecandes...I want some of what you are smoking

you are actually comparing the number of games available for a console that hasnt even launched yet...to consoles and devices that have been out for years....

Sorry I thought we were actually having an unbiased intelligent discussion...

I will bow out before you start comparing it to Nasa's new orbiter. But nice to see you admitting that this console runs with the exact same grapical 1080p that the xbone and PS4 does.

Oh and dont forget the Switch has storage upgradable to 2 TB just like the PS4 and the Xbone.

And it is the only manufacturer that will have portable full games of mario...mariokart...skyrim and every other port that will come out. I am super surprised the MS didnt come up with this since it was dropped in their laps first back in 2005.

Think on that....you are playing fucking skyrim ( or any other triple A title ) on the console...Time to take the dog out and let him run around....take it with you and play...
    comeback in reconnect and back to playing on the tv...got to go to work and have a 1 hr commute...take it with you and play. ( assuming you are commuting on a bus/subway...aint recommending playing and driving the 401)
    same 1 hr commute...keep playing. Get home drop it back in the dock...and keep playing.

That is the kind of usability I want on all my consoles going forward. I can deal with 720p on a 7 inch screen as long as I get 1080 p on my TV. And the res rates will only go up.
    Frankly, this is what the Wii-U should have been!

Law212
  • RajioRajio Centurion

@Law212 said:
    I love that now console gamers are all about hardware. When I used to compare PC hardware to consoles, I always got the "its not about the hardware its about the games" argument, and now I see someone saying that the new nintendo cant compete because it doesn't have hardware as advanced as MS and Sony put in their console....

Having a PC, the PS4 and XBONE don't interest me. Though the Nintendo consoles do because they have games that are different enough from the main PC, MS and Sony games and that's why I want one. I don't have a ton of Wii U games, but the ones I do have are really fun. I probably have 10 or so, as opposed to 500 + on PC and maybe 100 on xbox 360. but they are games that those systems don't get and are really fun to play.

I really don't think Nintendo tries to compete wit the main consoles to get the attention of the call of duty crowd. They seem to go their own way and make games they want to make. And I for one think they are great for doing that.

which switch games look good to you? $80 good?

• RajioRajio Centurion

I'm not sure I want the new mario/zeldas ... but i could be convinced. i need to see more.
    I like the idea of puyo puyo tetris but not for that price
    I'd love a new bomberman. especially with MP and mobility! ... but not for that price
    The new sonic (but thatll come out for every platform)

I'll wait and see but if I'm not super into the new zelda, i might be beter off waiting until theres that killer game i want.

EchoGolfSierra
  • I have never been a Nintendo fanboy...hell I never bought a wii or wii U. Never been a huge Zelda fan mostly I thought PC graphics and gameplay was better in the RPG category. Have always loved Mario Kart and I was a hardcore snes mario guy. I did buy a "new 3dsxl" recently because of black friday sales...and I am pleased with the purchase.

So what made me drop $531 for Zelda and a Switch??? My wife thinks I am nuts and she might not be wrong.

My gut tells me this will be a fun console. And I want to reward innovation.
    Just like why I buy inside, firewatch, last guardian...I want to reward companies that take chances and show me something a little different. Same idea for me and the switch.

And after watching 20+ mins of Zelda I can see myself finally wanting to play that open world game. And I know that most of the exclusives will be high value, games that I will enjoy.

Ya I wish games didnt cost $80 bucks in Canada. But that is an exchange rate issue and Canada needs a 70 cent dollar right now more then I need cheaper games.

Ultimately...I am a game fanboy and there are some games I can only get on the switch...so I am buying it to support it in hopes that enough other people also will and developers will reward that.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

like seriously , over 630,000 games? wowzers. All shovelware and crappy apps by any joe who is bored and makes a flappy bird clone.

lots of gamers today are definitely the call of duty era gamer, but there are still gamers who are sick of those garbage games and appreciate the quality games that Nintendo continues to make.

I also love the "lesser machine" talk. The current systems don't pull off 4k well at all. PS4 didn't even include a 4k blu ray player to watch 4k movies on the machine.

consoles all together are lesser machines when compared to current hardware. for consoles. its about the gaming experience. I like that Nintendo focuses more on playing with other people , than it does with the single player experience. If youre older and have a family the Nintendo is the way to go.

@Rajio said:

@Law212 said:

Ya. at least 3 or 4 of them that I've seen. Whats so bad about them that they don't deserve the price over games on other systems?

• Law212Law212 Centurion

@Rajio said:
    I'm not sure I want the new mario/zeldas ... but i could be convinced. i need to see more.
    I like the idea of puyo puyo tetris but not for that price
    I'd love a new bomberman. especially with MP and mobility! ... but not for that price
    The new sonic (but thatll come out for every platform)

I'll wait and see but if I'm not super into the new zelda, i might be beter off waiting until theres that killer game i want.

The original tetris on NES sold for about 90 dollars.
    I think the tetris game looks great and id rather pay full price for that than most of the games on current systems.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

@Rajio said:

@Law212 said:

I misread, the first time. To me games on the switch id pay full price for would be Zelda, Mario, splatoon 2, tetris and possibly bomberman. Id also buy sonic if it were exclusive. Id pay full price for the Mario kart depending on what additions or changes it has to it.

• SintacsSintacs Centurion

@EchoGolfSierra said:
    Ya I wish games didnt cost $80 bucks in Canada. But that is an exchange rate issue and Canada needs a 70 cent dollar right now more then I need cheaper games.

This is one of my biggest gripes with Nintendo. Yeah, their games cost as much at launch as any other game, but with other games, if you buy em a year or two later, you can expect to get them for less than that. With first party Nintendo titles, you can expect to pay that $80 until production slows or stops to the point that the games are harder to find at regular retailers, then you'll end up paying even more. It's one of the main reasons I haven't bought many games for my Wii U, I really don't want to shell out $80 for games that are like 2-3 years old. I'd absolutely love to get Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon (though this one being very MP focused is really keeping me away from it), but I really don't think I'd get a $70-80 play value out of them. The GameCube virtual console stuff could potentially get me to buy it though, as long as they have some of the stuff that I've really wanted to play from it. It could potentially be a GameCube substitute for me, kind of how my Wii U was a Wii substitute. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on the games the system gets, but I really doubt I'll end up buying one in the first year or two of it's life, I'm sure there will be a revision by the time I consider buying one anyway, this is Nintendo after all.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

Yeah , that's true. Look at some of the games for Wii U and they just now after at least 2 or 3 years are dropping price but only by about 10 dollars.

There are still a bunch of wii u games I want like Yoshis wooly world, Mario splash , and the tennis game and a couple others , but the prices never dropped on any of them.

I don't tend to buy too many games at full retail price. PC is easiest to find deals on and I have bought a bunch of xbox 360 games cheap but wii u.... damn drop those prices after a year

• Law212Law212 Centurion

speaking of prices, does anyone remember when games started releaseing for 40 dollars on release day?

batman Arkham asylum, lost planet, transformers battle for cybertron, and a handful of others would release for 40 bucks. And that's the reason I bought those games . They were priced to take a chance on.

At the time , no one knew that a new batman game could be any good. No one knew what lost planet was. but at that price I could risk it.

• DoosDoos Centurion

I'll be receiving my preorder for the new Zelda and playing it on my Wii U which has probably less than 8hrs of use since I got it day 1 in anticipation for the new Zelda. It looks great. As for the Switch? Nah.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

Yeah I just saw that the Zelda game will also be on Wii U. And it doesn't look all that different other than better shading on the Switch....

• the clip I saw show significantly differently when comparing the 2 consoles.
    Does the Wii U have 1080p output?

• Law212Law212 Centurion

No I think its 720, but the switch doesn't do 1080p either.

Sintacs