This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Overused and Misused Buzz Words

I've been thinking lately about buzz words and the media saturation of them. While nothing new, it does go through cycles and as technology develops, the amount of usage increases.

I remember a while back we were talking about "literally," and how it's overused and often misused, and that got me thinking about buzz words that irk me now, and that are oft misused.

The one that immediately comes to mind is "epic." It's a word that's been over-saturated for many years now and has really lost its proper meaning. Something that's epic is supposed to be, so truly grand of scale and unique that it's in a league of it's own. Like an ocean, an ocean is epic both in physical size and in concept. That burrito you ate the other day, is not epic. It might have been great, but not epic.

"Epic" is used so often now by marketing companies, that the second I hear something is "epic" I immediately assume it's going to be okay at best and mediocre to poor at worst. That's not epic at all.

"Awesome" is another one that's log since watered down it's original meaning. It's something that's supposed to inspire awe in the viewer, listener, beholder, but "awesome" today is very watered down.

What're your thoughts, and are there any buzzwords that really irritate you?

Comments

• Law212Law212 Centurion

Wrecked. Is a new one that I really hate right now.
    Though for the most part what bothers me more is bad grammar. I really hate when people say "I should of" And lots of people say that these days. It's infuriating.
    The other one I hate is "that show is so addicting" Instead of addictive. If you look it up though its not wrong... but that's only because lots of people now say it that way. Its like how "truthiness" got added to the language because a tv show host used it.

Addicting has been used more in the states and then media started using it and now people use it instead of addictive.

• JuxtaposeJuxtapose Centurion

@Law212 said:
    Wrecked. Is a new one that I really hate right now.
    Though for the most part what bothers me more is bad grammar. I really hate when people say "I should of" And lots of people say that these days. It's infuriating.
    The other one I hate is "that show is so addicting" Instead of addictive. If you look it up though its not wrong... but that's only because lots of people now say it that way. Its like how "truthiness" got added to the language because a tv show host used it.

Addicting has been used more in the states and then media started using it and now people use it instead of addictive.

I've never heard of "truthiness" before. Ugh.

I take it for your first point, it should be: "I should have...?"

• Law212Law212 Centurion

well "should've" expands to Should have. but people write is as should of.

same with would've , people write out would of , instead of would have.

Juxtapose
  • SintacsSintacs Centurion

@Law212 get wrecked, scrub. gg ez.

TimothyWedel
  • It's not a buzz word but when people say "it's a long story"

• I'm sick of the thing where people write, "..... (Anyone?)"

We were mocking that in the 80s in Ferris Bueller's Day Off, but people still use it without shame.