This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

First game with character customization

Law212Law212 Centurion

We had a discussion on which game was the first to have interactions with toilets, but what was the first game to give us customized characters?

Comments

• Well, the oldest RPG games would let you create your own characters, picking classes and skills and such, like Wizardry and Ultima and probably earlier ones... so you might need to define "customized" further...?

• Law212Law212 Centurion

I'm talking cosmetic. Not stats or gear, but just face, hair, and so on.

• You also made me wonder what game has the first user level creation tools (other than RPGs). I was thinking perhaps Broderbund's Lode Runner. #threadhijacker

• DoosDoos Centurion

Hmm.. I'd have to imagine that one of the super early dnd/rpg games probably allowed you to change your face or something. Good question. I wonder what the first one that I can remember playing would be? Ok, Morrowind for sure. I played that on the OG Xbox.. But I played a butt load of JRPG's on the PS1.. so I wonder if those allowed for it? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........

• Law212Law212 Centurion

The first I can think of was the first NHL game to have custom characters. The pC version let you scan in a picture to use as the players face.... I cant remember which year that NHL game was though.