This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne

JuxtaposeJuxtapose Centurion
edited February 5 in General

I installed Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and its expansion set, "The Frozen Throne" last night and all went well. It was super easy and again impressed me since it's such an old game (2002 release).

What's even crazier to me is the game is supported by nVidia GeForce Experience for Game Optimization!

Anyway, I didn't need to log in as an Administrator to patch the game by connecting to Battle.net Classic like I had to with Diablo II: Lord of Destruction. The game does support 1920x1080, but it's stretched which I don't like, so I'm playing in 1600x1200 to preserve the original 4x3 aspect ratio.

The only bug I've encountered so far is a known issue, where the game's Cinematics in Campaign (CG, not pre-rendered in-game) don't play correctly and the image is only a black screen. Blizzard Entertainment is hoping to resolve this in an upcoming patch.

After running the game for the first time and then exiting, Windows 10 Home popped up a message saying a Compatibility Issue was found and adjusted to be applied for the next time I run the program, but I didn't notice anything nor could I find any changes it made under the Compatibility Tab.

So so far so good. I did the Tutorial in "Reign of Chaos" and am now on Chapter III of the Human Campaign. The voice acting is so cheesy!

Also, looks like you need a separate Battle.net Classic account from Diablo II: Lord of Destruction, which I found odd.

Comments

• SintacsSintacs Centurion

WC3 always had a separate B.net account, in D2 (and possibly stuff), WC3 folks show up as username@Azeroth. I think all the other classic stuff used to share the same account, but it seems that is no longer the case, as I did recently make a SC account, but was able to use the same username for Diablo 2.

• JuxtaposeJuxtapose Centurion

@Sintacs said:
    WC3 always had a separate B.net account, in D2 (and possibly stuff), WC3 folks show up as username@Azeroth. I think all the other classic stuff used to share the same account, but it seems that is no longer the case, as I did recently make a SC account, but was able to use the same username for Diablo 2.

Diablo, Starcraft, and Diablo II used the same account for sure. I thought Warcraft III did, but it has been a long while.

• how come we can play diablo 2 and not the best rts of all time//WC2

• Jux how do you get the frozen throne? I cant find it listed under classic games

• @EchoGolfSierra said:
    Jux how do you get the frozen throne? I cant find it listed under classic games

forget it...I figured it out...it wasnt listed with the other classic games intially

@EchoGolfSierra said:
    how come we can play diablo 2 and not the best rts of all time//WC2

They never released Warcraft II: Battle.net Edition as a digital download. If you buy a retail copy and install it, we should be able to play (as I own a retail copy, as does @Sintacs).

@EchoGolfSierra said:

@EchoGolfSierra said:
    Jux how do you get the frozen throne? I cant find it listed under classic games

forget it...I figured it out...it wasnt listed with the other classic games intially

Yeah, you need to register your original CD key and it'll be there.

You need to install Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos before installing Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne though, just like fifteen years ago.

• actually they did....I never owned it before and I bought it from battlenet for 9.99 last night downloaded and installed

@EchoGolfSierra said:
    actually they did....I never owned it before and I bought it from battlenet for 9.99 last night downloaded and installed

Cool. Did you buy "Reign of Chaos" as well, or did you own that before?

It's Warcraft II that I said Blizzard Entertainment never released digitally, not Warcraft III and its expansion.

• ahhhh sorry I confuse them....it is the diablo 2 and Marcraft 3

LOL

no I owned Reign already

@EchoGolfSierra said:
    ahhhh sorry I confuse them....it is the diablo 2 and Marcraft 3

LOL

no I owned Reign already

Cool, cool. And yeah, "The Frozen Throne" is lots of fun. I highly recommend the Campaign, as it's a fun story that resolves some plot lines from "Reign of Chaos," and sets up several plot lines for World of Warcraft, such as the formation of the Forsaken, the rise of the Lich King, the defection of the Blood Elfs from the Alliance, etc.

Another cool thing is while the Night Elf, Human, and Undead Campaign are traditional Role Playing Strategy, the Orc Campaign is separate and is an RPG.

Blizzard Entertainment did this to bridge the play styles between Warcraft III and World of Warcraft, and also to show what the game's upgraded World Editor could do.

Multiplayer has a significant host of improvements as well, such as Neutral Heroes, new neutral buildings, Racial-built shops, new units, maps, and tilesets, and automated Online Tournaments.

edited February 7

WC2 isn't supported on Battle.net anymore, so a bit of work would be needed to get some games going, it's possible to do, just requires an extra file or two, and direct IP connections.

• Sintacs I would kill to be able to find and play warcraft and warcraft 2 and the expansion tides of darkness....to me they are the best of rts

@Sintacs said:
    WC2 isn't supported on Battle.net anymore, so a bit of work would be needed to get some games going, it's possible to do, just requires an extra file or two, and direct IP connections.

That's odd, as Blizzard did maintenance on the Classic servers yesterday, and they noted that Warcraft II: Battle.net Edition was one of the titles affected for the duration of the outage. Diablo as well.

• so you saying that if I could get you a digital copy of WC2 I could play it
    ?????

@Juxtapose I'd have to check again, but the last few times I patched it and booted it up it wasn't working.

@EchoGolfSierra said:
    so you saying that if I could get you a digital copy of WC2 I could play it
    ?????

If you could get a copy of Warcraft II: Battle.net Edition, in theory, you could play it, yes.

@Sintacs said:
    @Juxtapose I'd have to check again, but the last few times I patched it and booted it up it wasn't working.

Interesting. Why not try contact Blizzard Entertainment's Tech Support and see?

Here's a link to their maintenance post from this week. Warcraft II: Battle.net Edition is clearly specified.

• Hey Jux...I have the discs for Warcraft III, how does it play on windows 10?

• @VanishedNine said:
    Hey Jux...I have the discs for Warcraft III, how does it play on windows 10?

It plays absolutely great. You'll want to connect to Battle.net and update to the latest version or register your disc CD keys to your Battle.net account and download the digital versions (and then update to the latest version).

If you get an error when patching, run the game as an admin and try again and it should work.

• @VanishedNine said:
    ok...cool...thanks jux

Yeah, it plays great, and is even supported by GeForce Experience for optimization, which surprised me!