This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Improving Wireless Signal Strength

Hey all,

These days, my Xbox 360 E is used strictly for watching the odd show I get from Microsoft TV, and my console is wireless.

Over the last month, I've noticed my Wireless signal strength to the console has dropped to 3 bars from the full 4.

I have not moved or changed anything with my modem/router, nor have I changed anything with the console, including placement.

I know wireless can be finicky, but any suggestions on how to improve the signal strength?

Comments

• Law212Law212 Centurion

You could get a range extender. I have used on in the past. Seemed to work well enough. I had the modem in the basement so to get a decent signal to the top floor I put an extender on the main floor to boost the wireless signal.

They can be somewhat pricey though.

• @Law212 said:
    You could get a range extender. I have used on in the past. Seemed to work well enough. I had the modem in the basement so to get a decent signal to the top floor I put an extender on the main floor to boost the wireless signal.

They can be somewhat pricey though.

Yeah, I thought about that with my previous modem but was able to upgrade when I upgraded my Rogers package.

This new modem used to give me full strength all over the house (minus basement), but now it's not. Not sure why that changed (I know wireless can be finicky).

• SintacsSintacs Centurion
    edited February 27

I'm running dual routers currently, have the cable modem and main router in the basement, then a long ass Ethernet cable running from the main router to another that's up near the ceiling of the basement stairway (essentially just under the floor of the second floor), the other router has the same network name and password as the main one, so devices seem to connect automatically to whichever one has the stronger signal. Haven't had any issues with this setup yet, though I mainly connect to and play games off of the main router (I have ports forwarded and whatnot on it).

My dad got a range extender to use down in the Bahamas since the wifi signal at the docks is weak (he's living on a boat while there), apparently it's working great for him. He tested it in the house before leaving and it seemed to work well.

Personally I'll probably dump $150-200 into a new router at some point though, and get one of the ones with antennas all over it, since all the ones I have currently have internal antennas.

• I have a huge $400 router with 6 antennas coming out of it that looks like it could be the next batmobile or something. I've never had problems with it on either floor of my place. I'm pretty sure it'll give me brain cancer at some point, though.
    Sintacs
  • @TimothyWedel said:
    I have a huge $400 router with 6 antennas coming out of it that looks like it could be the next batmobile or something. I've never had problems with it on either floor of my place. I'm pretty sure it'll give me brain cancer at some point, though.

I remember you posting about it when you got it. And also suggesting it'll give you cancer in your brain.