This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Mortal Kombat

SintacsSintacs Centurion
edited April 2011 in General
Has anybody check out the new Mortal Kombat yet? A buddy of mine gifted me a copy but what I've experienced in it so far, I gladly would have payed the $60 or whatever for the game if I could have afforded it. I've enjoyed some of the past MK games (UMK3, MK4), but I've never been too big a fan of the series (hated the first 2). This is the first time I've ever been excited for a MK ttile and I have yet to be disappointed. The return to 2D gameplay is very welcome, I could never quite get into the 3D ones, it always felt like they could have been better off without the extra dimension. The actual fighting gameplay itself is smoother than ever and feels great, all characters play differently from one another, all of the basic punch and kick combos are unique to each character. All of my favorite characters of the series are here, among some new twists to the cast. The story mode is rather lengthy, but really well done, fights and cutscenes merge seamlessly, making it feel like a martial arts movie that becomes a video game once the fights start. The challenge tower is quite fun and with 300 challenges, it will take some time to complete. So far my favorite challenge was one where you play as Scorpion and you are tasked with defending your right to hate teddies against Mileena who has made one for you. I haven't dipped into the multiplayer side of things yet, but everything I've experienced in the single player side of things so far has been superb. As a long time Street Fighter fan, I'm surprised to find myself saying I've had way more fun with this than any Street Fighter game I've played, and this is definitely one of the best fighting games I've ever played. If you've had any interest in this, I definitely suggest checking it out.<br>

Comments

• JuxtaposeJuxtapose Centurion
    So I take it you'd recommend it?  I was a huge fan of Mortal Kombat (Arcade, Genesis, and Game Boy), Mortal Kombat II (Arcade and Super NES), Mortal Kombat 3 (Arcade and Super NES), and started getting out of the franchise with Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (Arcade and later on for nostalgia's sake, Xbox 360) and was lost completely with Mortal Kombat 4 (Arcade) and on.  With the original three, I'd take the time to learn how to play as every character so I could play random and still do well.  I had memorized all the combos and Fatalities at the time; spent hours and hours on it and really OCDed over it.

I keep hearing really great things about this latest Mortal Kombat and I'm _very_ tempted to pick it up, but admit I'm hesitant over the $69.99 price tag.  You really think a fighter's worth it at that cost?
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    I'm loving it. Whether or not it's worth $70 is up to debate.. but I'm on the side of 'Sure...'

It's tons o' fun.. Especially since I haven't had a good dose of the Kombat in over 10 years. I'm thoroughly enjoying it.
    I'm loving it. Whether or not it's worth $70 is up to debate.. but I'm on the side of 'Sure...'

It's tons o' fun.. Especially since I haven't had a good dose of the Kombat in over 10 years. I'm thoroughly enjoying it.
    I actually caved and picked it up this morning.  I've only done the tutorials thus far, and while the game looks great, I'm not sure how I feel about the combat yet.

In the Tutorial there's a part where you need to do some kind of advanced combo with Johnny Cage; I think it was Front Punch, Front Kick, Rear Punch (or something like that; still used to High Punch, Low Punch and the like), and I couldn't do it.  Three simple button presses, and I couldn't do it.  I swapped out to my wired controller in case it was a controller/wireless issue, and nope.  Finally after about 15 minutes of frustration, I held two fingers on the face buttons and which allowed me to press them ever faster, and it worked.

Wow, very... unforgiving, and this is the beginner's tutorial...

I'm not passing judgement yet, but a few other things irked me.  I'll likely start story mode soon, but I think I'll actually start on sissy ol' Novice to try and get the hang of things.  Granted it's been about 15 years since I really played a fighter...
  • streetfighter actually has this kind of split second timing too. many times things won't connect if your berfore 0.5 sec or past 0.8 sec

• i had this run in with guiles simple one two punch but its timing.
  • SintacsSintacs Centurion

I actually caved and picked it up this morning.  I've only done the tutorials thus far, and while the game looks great, I'm not sure how I feel about the combat yet.

In the Tutorial there's a part where you need to do some kind of advanced combo with Johnny Cage; I think it was Front Punch, Front Kick, Rear Punch (or something like that; still used to High Punch, Low Punch and the like), and I couldn't do it.  Three simple button presses, and I couldn't do it.  I swapped out to my wired controller in case it was a controller/wireless issue, and nope.  Finally after about 15 minutes of frustration, I held two fingers on the face buttons and which allowed me to press them ever faster, and it worked.

Wow, very... unforgiving, and this is the beginner's tutorial...

I'm not passing judgement yet, but a few other things irked me.  I'll likely start story mode soon, but I think I'll actually start on sissy ol' Novice to try and get the hang of things.  Granted it's been about 15 years since I really played a fighter...
    the tut went fine for me, only tricky bit was the kombo breakers.the only combo issue ive had with it was the tag kombo achievement not unlocking, but apparently you have to continue a combo after the tag kombo for it to count. the story mode is really great, i played thorugh in one sitting, couldt pull myself away from it.
    Cool, thanks guys.  I'll keep at it and see how I do.
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    I was in the same boat, Jux. I had trouble with that too..

But I've found now after 100 or so Tower Challenges my fingers have adapted to what's required of them.

Using the Dpad on the 360 is no where near the evil experience I thought it was going to be.. but it's still not 100% awesomeness either.

I'm thinking about getting a fight stick.. but I dunno.
    I was in the same boat, Jux. I had trouble with that too..

But I've found now after 100 or so Tower Challenges my fingers have adapted to what's required of them.

Using the Dpad on the 360 is no where near the evil experience I thought it was going to be.. but it's still not 100% awesomeness either.

I'm thinking about getting a fight stick.. but I dunno.
    Yeah, I'm doing the story mode now and I'm enjoying it for the campy story alone.  I am playing on "Beginner."

I keep rotating between using the Left Stick and the D-Pad.  Both seem to work and mess up often enough.  With Cage, I'd often toss out a force ball or whatever it's called when I wanted to uppercut :p.
    edited April 2011
    i use one of these to play and it works great, id suggest it over a fight stick (much cheaper than a stick, can fin em new for $30-$40), unless you really enjoy playing with an arcade stick. i cant play any fighting games on an arcade stick to save my life, always been a d-pad guy.
    i use one of these to play and it works great, id suggest it over a fight stick (much cheaper than a stick, can fin em new for $30-$40), unless you really enjoy playing with an arcade stick. i cant play any fighting games on an arcade stick to save my life, always been a d-pad guy.
    Same with me; I've always sucked with Arcade sticks.
  • I suck at fighting games. Fin.
  • I. Want. This Game. So. Bad.

Im glad they are considering releasing it for PC :)  Hope it pulls through, because this video sold me.

It's the tits.
    I figure Mileena gives interesting head.
  • It's the tits.
    Not gunna lie, Juxt, I think Doos meant Tits as an adjective. Like its awesome.  Not it's the tits that makes the game awesome :P
    Because i get the vibe thats what you thought he was saying :P
    It's the tits.
    Not gunna lie, Juxt, I think Doos meant Tits as an adjective. Like its awesome.  Not it's the tits that makes the game awesome :P
    Because i get the vibe thats what you thought he was saying :P
    Ah, I stand corrected and yes I did.  There's lots of cleavage in the game.
  • i love arcade stick for fighters but not for MK i grew up D pad and it will end like that.
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    Yes, Hawks is right.. It's awesome. The tits.

Plus there's a lot of tits.. plus Mileena probably gives devastating head. Talk about a but'her face. Hmm.. butter face? I've never typed that expression before.. is it but-her.. butter?

'She's a butter face? Yeah! Everything looks good but her face!' WHEE!
  • RajioRajio Centurion
    It all depends on punctuation. 

Everything looks good; butt, her face...
  • Yes, but when you are combining it in to one word "Butter" it doesnt matter

She's a butterface.
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    I'm gonna go with 'butterface'.

When/if I ever type it again...
    i think mileenas face is kind of cute, i also think sheeva is attractive, especially in her alternate outfit, does this make me weird? :s
  • i think mileenas face is kind of cute, i also think sheeva is attractive, especially in her alternate outfit, does this make me weird? :s
    Yes :)
    edited April 2011
    i think mileenas face is kind of cute, i also think sheeva is attractive, especially in her alternate outfit, does this make me weird? :s
    Yes :)
    For Mileena, no.  For Sheeva, yes :p.

I like Kitana's alternate costume.  Speaking of which, a few q's for you crazy kids who know the game better:

- How do you select alternate costumes when picking a character?  I've unlocked several, and I figured it would be under "X" options at the character select screen, but it's not.
    - Any tips for Kintaro on the Arcade Ladder?
    - If your mid-Story mode and want to start over, is there a way to do this?

I have some more but I forget them right now and will post them later.  You know, once I remember :p.
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    I have no idea about alt. costumes and such, Jux.. I'm curious too.

I'd check but I left the game at my buddies for the week.. I'm on vacation and I'll be hopping a plane to the Dominican tomorrow. Yay me! First vacation ever!
    I have no idea about alt. costumes and such, Jux.. I'm curious too.

I'd check but I left the game at my buddies for the week.. I'm on vacation and I'll be hopping a plane to the Dominican tomorrow. Yay me! First vacation ever!
    Wow, dude, the first vaca ever in your whole life?
  • DoosDoos Centurion
    Sort of... My parents and I went to Osoyoos once for a weekend when I was a kid.. but.. that doesn't count really, I was a kid. My whole life was a vacation.

I traveled for 9 months or so once when I was 23.. but that was back packing with a work Visa.. doesn't much count as a vacation either.

Other than that.. I've only gone and visited my family and friends in Cranbrook and Vancouver... But that's visiting.. It's sort of relaxing.. but not really.

So, this will be my very first 'sun and sand, relaxing on the beach, not a care in the world, no phones, no nothing, 5-star, all inclusive, fuck the wife non-stop' vacation... Yes.

Yay...
    Awesome stuff Doos, enjoy!

Oh, and apparently you swap costumes by pressing "Start" while highlighting your fighter in the character select screen.  I'll try that later.