This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Windows 10 Creators Update

Hey all,

As anyone else installed or upgraded to Windows 10 Creators Update?

I formatted my system and clean installed everything this past Thursday and most everything seems alright, but I might be having frame rate issues in StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm and Diablo III: Reaper of Souls. I need to test more and confirm, and it's possibly not the OS but the latest nVidia Driver update released earlier this month as well.

I upgraded my father's system (no format), and he's starting having game freezes in Aliens vs. Predator (2010), but otherwise things seem fine for him. Again, not sure if the OS or the video driver.

Just curious if anyone else has had any issues.

Comments

• Law212Law212 Centurion

I have installed it, and so far have no issues with any games yet. Though Netflix on my laptop now blue screens my computer for some reason...

Juxtapose
  • JuxtaposeJuxtapose Centurion

@Law212 said:
    I have installed it, and so far have no issues with any games yet. Though Netflix on my laptop now blue screens my computer for some reason...

Did you upgrade or clean install?

• Law212Law212 Centurion

the laptop was a clean install
    my desktop was an upgrade

Juxtapose
  • RajioRajio Centurion

@Juxtapose said:
    Hey all,

I formatted my system and clean installed everything this past Thursday

why are you going through all this? the days of having to format and clean install are long gone unless your system is somehow royally fucked.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

@Rajio said:

@Juxtapose said:
    Hey all,

why are you going through all this? the days of having to format and clean install are long gone unless your system is somehow royally fucked.

+1

@Rajio said:

@Juxtapose said:
    Hey all,

What do you mean by "going through all this?" With Windows 10, formatting a system has become a complete breeze and can be done in half the time it used to be.

Upgrading is of course easier, but also has significantly more potential to lead to problems.

With any major OS revision, it's best to clean install. Cleans your registry, doesn't transfer over obsolete system files, deals with any quirks or driver conflicts from multiple upgrades, and saves HDD space since you only re-install what you need.

Case-in-point, for my father's issue (which is on an upgraded system), it appears a file or files in the game were corrupted during the upgrade process. A simple Verification of the Game's File Integrity via the Steam Client was all that was needed to resolve his issue, but he didn't know about this or how to do it.

For the issues I was having, Diablo III seems to have magically solved itself. I had a connection issue with the Battle.net servers the day the FPS issues happened, so that might have been the cause and it was likely coincidence.

For StarCraft II, played a few Evolution Missions in the Campaign yesterday and no issues either, so I'm not sure what happened here.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

Why is there more potential for things to go wrong?

The thing with doing a clean install is that you then need to reinstall all your drivers and programs, and that is what can lead to things going wrong. If you accidently install the wrong ones, or the system auto downloads the wrong ones.

• RajioRajio Centurion

@Juxtapose said:

@Rajio said:

@Juxtapose said:
    Hey all,

What do you mean by "going through all this?" With Windows 10, formatting a system has become a complete breeze and can be done in half the time it used to be.

Upgrading is of course easier, but also has significantly more potential to lead to problems.

installing windows via USB is fast and a breeze, sure, but upgrading is even easier and to be honest you can't tell the difference once you do it. like at all. there isn't this problem with registry files etc you cite. I'm pretty sure you format your system more often than I reboot mine.

EchoGolfSierra

@Law212

A random Google search will bring up articles that explain why. Here's one.

I actually upgraded with the Anniversary Update last summer first and lost Cortana like this guy did. Even though I don't use Cortana, loosing a big promoted feature of the OS is rather embarrassing for Microsoft.

And of course you need to re-install everything with a clean install; that's the point my good sir! And it's very difficult to download the wrong drivers considering you have them on installation discs or automated programs, like GeForce Experience, that do them for you. For Windows 10 autodownloading, it's going to do that with forced updates anyway; that's one of the criticisms of the OS.

@Rajio

Of course upgrading is easier and faster, but if you know how to format your system and get everything going it's simply cleaner and there's less chance of conflicts from old system files being ported over. Most people won't encounter an issue with upgrading, but it can happen.

And a difference can be noticed, outside of possible performance issues, mostly via minor layout differences.

I never said there was a problem with the registry, I said doing a clean install cleans it up, seeing as how it recreates it. That's true. Over several upgrades though, so many old system files are floating around that it apparently can affect performance and takes up gigs of HDD space. Or so I've read, since I always format myself.

And you only reboot your PC once a year?

EchoGolfSierra
  • Law212Law212 Centurion

That article doesn't explain why. It says that issues CAN happen. But they can also happen with a clean install.

He lost Cortana... that could be for a number of reasons. Could be as simple as the feature got turned off in the windows features menu and was reactivated because it is by default on a new install.

Also while a program like geforece experience may auto DL drivers, sometimes you don't want it to. sometimes a new driver causes issues with certain games or 3d settings. so if you do a clean install you will need to rollback and find that old driver you were using again.

also windows sometimes detects the wrong drivers for peripherals. so a clean install can be a hassle and these days isn't needed like it was in the days of windows XP.

At most , you should run disk defrag. I haven't done a clean install on my desktop in over year. still runs great and I have no issues on it.

I did one recently on my laptop and now I have small issues with some programs and I don't know why.

• @Juxtapose said:

I haven't turned my PC off or rebooted it since a power outage two months ago

• RajioRajio Centurion

@TimothyWedel said:

@Juxtapose said:

I haven't turned my PC off or rebooted it since a power outage two months ago

bingo

• SintacsSintacs Centurion

@Law212 said:
    Also while a program like geforece experience may auto DL drivers, sometimes you don't want it to. sometimes a new driver causes issues with certain games or 3d settings. so if you do a clean install you will need to rollback and find that old driver you were using again.

I absolutely cannot stand Geforce experience, it's probably some of the worst software I've ever used. It always screwed up driver installations, not only on my PC, but my GF's as well, meaning we had to uninstalled the damaged driver it installed, then reinstall the driver manually. I also seem to recall it being a bit of a resource hog, but that could have just spawned from my overall dislike of the software. As somebody who isn't a computer n00b, I see absolutely no need for it outside of automatic driver updates, and it couldn't even do that without fucking up.

@Law212 said:
    also windows sometimes detects the wrong drivers for peripherals. so a clean install can be a hassle and these days isn't needed like it was in the days of windows XP.

TBH I've only ever had Windows detect drivers for Microsoft-made things, like 360/Xbone controllers. Windows never detects what divers I need for anything else.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

well my xbox 360 wireless dongle always gets detected wrong by windows and needs a manual install each time.

I haven't used one of those since the Windows Vista days, so I can't really comment on issues regarding them. Mine died before I got a PC with a new OS, and I've been using wired/Bluetooth controllers ever since anyway.

As for clean installs and whatnot, I went from Windows 7 into 10 and everything since via the upgrade option and haven't had any issues as a result, nothing missing, no performance issues (upgrading to Win10 actually boosted performance in many things).

• Law212Law212 Centurion

Apparently the old ones died just from being unplugged. My first one died and it was a bitch to get another since they stopped selling them by themselves. You had to buy one bundled with a controller .

I got one on ebay for 15 and its worked for a long time now .Its nice to have controller options

Yeah, I loved mine while I had it, think I had it plugged in for 2 years, unplugged it and that's when it stopped working. I'm just glad the current Xbone controllers have Bluetooth, just had to grab a $15 Bluetooth adapter to toss in a USB port and I'm good to go with wireless controllers again. Actually, I think that adapter is something Windows did install the driver for automatically, if it even needed to install one.

Anyway, probably an odd thread to post this in, but if anybody is looking into getting a Bluetooth Xbone controller, there is something to look out for, the face shell of the Bluetooth ones will always be one material now, where the old ones without Bluetooth and a different material at the top around the Xbox button.

The controller below does not have Bluetooth, you can see at the top that there is a distinct seam between the different materials:

This controller has Bluetooth support, you can tell by how the shell is all one solid piece at the top and there is no seam:

@Law212 Of course, if things were guaranteed to go wrong Microsoft wouldn't be offering an upgrade option at all. And as I mentioned, I lost Cortana with the Anniversary Upgrade, and it wasn't just turned off since one of the changes in Anniversary was the inability to turn Cortana off. My system also ran slower for a week-ish, though that seemed to start clearing up just before I formatted last September.

For auto updates, I think you're misunderstanding me: Windows 10 Home Edition will automatically download and install updates; this is something the end user can not stop, and this is the first Microsoft OS I'm aware of that does this. GeForce Experience won't install a driver unless you tell it to, provided you've selected that option.

Windows Update can detect new video drivers, so it's Windows 10 that can mess up your system with a faulty driver here. That actually happened to many people with a faulty nVidia driver around or just prior to Windows 10's launch.

@TimothyWedel and @Rajio To each their own. I turn my PC off when not in use since there's no need for it to be on.

@Sintacs I've heard others having the exact same issue as you with GeForce Experience, but for me it's worked perfectly every time except when I was still using my legacy Windows XP machine from three years ago. No issues with driver updates on that thing ever.

That's good that you haven't had any issues with OS upgrades!

Overall, for me, I see no reason not to do a clean install when a new major update (really a new OS) is released. Upgrading takes about an hour-ish, give or take. For me, a completely clean install excluding re-installing my games takes between two and three hours. So for a few additional hours, sure, I'll clean install.

• I don't find it necessary to reformat my hdd. I'll just let my pc update normally. Though with my tv being on the fritz, I'll have to wait to get a new tv to get any updates.

• I got the update today...did the upgrade and so far so good

@VanishedNine said:
    I got the update today...did the upgrade and so far so good

Good stuff. Yeah, for the upgrade my father did have an issue with a game and needed to file verify via Steam to resolve it. Otherwise seems good.

For my format the lag issues I had in Diablo III were completely unrelated and my net connection was the cause. I'm supposed to have 10 MB Upload but was only getting 1 MB upload! This created a lot of latency.

For StarCraft II, it was simply a lot of effects in one Campaign mission that was bogging down the framerate a bit.