This is a friendly community where all are welcome. We only have a few basic rules. Don't be a jerk. Be excellent to each other.

Loot Boxes

Law212Law212 Centurion

What do you people think of these? Do you know what they are? For those who don't know, loot boxed, which I think started with "Loot Crate" are subscription based and they send you a box every month with shirts, movies, toys of all kinds based on all kinds of geek related themes from super heroes , to video games.

Now there are a ton of other subscription boxes like it, with horror themes, or ones that give you horror movies, and some that do a mix of different media.

I have never been interested in subscribing to any of these because I collect enough junk on my own. I do watch YouTube channels of people opening different ones though. Boogie2988 opens Loot Crate, Bloodbath and Beyond Opens Horror Blu ray packs and so on.

These packs seem popular .... but what do you guys think of them?

Tagged:

Comments

• JuxtaposeJuxtapose Centurion

I've never gotten one myself, but one of my former co-workers bought a few. He's a big Fallout and Mass Effect fan so he snagged some of those; I think it was two Fallout ones and a single Mass Effect one.

From what I understand, most of the contents of the crate are random/unknown at the time of purchase, and I recall he loved one of the Fallout ones, thought the Mass Effect one was okay, and was disappointed with the final Fallout one.

He got some cool hoodies and a few other trinkets, but at the end of the day I think they're quite expensive for what they are. I'm also not a fan of giving money blindly to items that are a mystery.

If you're really curious though, buy one and see what you get. If you're keen on it, do another. If not, you gave it a whirl.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

Well, I'm not big on getting anything that has a subscription behind it. Though I don't think they lock you in and I think you can cancel any time.
    The reason I was thinking about them is just because I have been going through some of my stuff , mainly old PC games.
    I was putting all the cds lying around with their boxes and putting them away in the basement.
    I was also watching some Youtuber who collects old games and he was talking about how the big box complete version of fallout 2 was around 150 bucks. And I have that as well as fallout 1.
    So that's when I thought I should get all the cd's , put them with their boxes. I also found some of the manuals in the crawl spaces, and so I went and tried to find every paper and manual and jewel case insert and put them together.

Just thinking a lot about collectibles. I might be planning to get rid of certain things sometime soon, so I'm also looking up prices and so on.

• JuxtaposeJuxtapose Centurion

Ah, that makes sense. Of course you can also search on eBay and Kijiji to see if people are selling similar items to price suggestions.

But yeah, if you can properly put together some nice collections, you'd probably be able to sell them for a decent cost. Depending on the item, of course.

• OzziOzzi Centurion

The Wife subscribes to a box called "bark box" it's a box that comes every month that is for the dogs. new theme every month. they get new chews, treats toys.

It's expensive as all hell though i think it's close to $50/month.

• Law212Law212 Centurion

Ya that's a bit much for a dog loot crate... sheesh. You can get cheap dog toys at the dollar store and decent treats at wallmart.

• OzziOzzi Centurion

That's what i was saying.

I think she is planning on cancelling it soon. The stuff was cool, but not worth the cost by any means.

• SintacsSintacs Centurion

I've looked into em a few times, but every time I have, they either have a bunch of stuff I have no interest in packed in, or it's mostly very cheap looking stuff. Sure they sometimes have some pretty cool looking individual items in em, but I could just order whatever that is off of Amazon or somewhere for a fraction of the price, and avoid all the other stuff I don't want.

• TimothyWedelTimothyWedel Centurion
    I've been interested in a couple of them but the conversion/shipping to canada always kills the deals. They just aren't worth it in Canadian dollars.
    Sintacs
  • I got the Fallout 4 Loot Crate and I really liked the items that came with it. I would have no interest in subscribing as odds are I wouldn't like most of the items that come with the crate. That being said, if another themed crate were to come along (ie-The Last Of Us) I would order it.

• I used to know a person who got bark boxes. She was always excited to tell people what she got. It always sounded neat but I never knew that the price was $50.

Apparently that same company also does Meow boxes.
  • Though the idea of getting a mystery box is somewhat interesting to me, I already have enough random shit lying around. Don't really need someone sending me a box full every month.

Juxtapose